Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2013, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I would say that yes, for the most part there will be no difference. Higher end chipset may give you other things you want, however, like a more generous CPU overclock if that's your thing, or more PCI-E lanes, etc.

I personally wouldn't buy a motherboard without SATA3 unless it's a throwaway build, and then at that point I would just go completely used instead of buying new.

SSDs make a rather large difference to computing and ultimately it would be desirable to have all my clients on one when feasible within size constraints.

Again, maybe I don't like waiting, but my 16GB USB3 thumb drive fills up in about 3 minutes or so vs the random 20 to 30 minute wait for any of my other of my drives, regardless of how "fast" they thought they were when purchased.

Yes, running a game at 240 FPS looks no difference than 30 FPS to most people. No point blowing the budget on a video card that isn't going to do much in it's life and take a lot more out of your overall build budget.

My Q6600 @ 3.0ghz was severely bottlenecking my GTX560Ti, and got a crazy amount more FPS after upgrading to my 2700K @ 4.5ghz.

The "future proof" concept is certainly not future proof itself. The guys that buy the best rigs continually sell and upgrade before it's obsolete... which is great for guys like me

Having seen very few real motherboard failures other than dead caps, I would agree with you. However, I dislike working with cheap boards that require so much effort to get something to work and they have bad layouts to begin with.

Any SSD is a marked improvement over a HD and providing it's from a reputable company with a good toolbox support then it's the desired item, even if only SATA2. As the builder, you know the budget and the requirements for the system. If they need space over speed, then a "slower" SSD will do nicely in place of a smaller faster one. If someone offered me a 1TB SSD at SATA2 speeds for the $300 mark right now I'd sure find a way to purchase it....

No, you shouldn't have offered a Z77 chipset motherboard unless the client asks for "the best". As a builder you need to give them best bang for the buck within budget and knowing what they are going to do with the thing. Sometimes that means integrated video is perfectly fine and other times it means having to stick to a regular HD. Sometimes it means SLI'd 680's and triple 3d gaming.....
I agree with everything in here. especially the last point. the thing about newer tech and top of the line things is Quality sure you could probably go out and buy something that would do pretty much the same but will it be able to handle it. myself I am not a huge OCer so I probably could get away with buying a cheaper brand and I am pretty sure tha tthere is allot of people out there that are more like myself but would buy the top quality for braggin g rights more then anything else kind of like a friend of mine that goes out and buys a 1970 chager to look cool but never really uses the thing to me that was a waste of money
Old January 25, 2013, 01:27 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Many thanks for your earlier post Perenium , I have been trawling the net checking some of it out. Good stuff. also thanks to chrisk but it would help me if you could also give me a few brands you like. I realise just because the one product is good it may not apply to all models across that brands range. By the way any comments on my chosen one? I estimate a total rig consumption about 350w and rarely running flat out.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrihim View Post
Many thanks for your earlier post , I have been trawling the net checking some of it out. Good stuff. also thanks to chrisk but it would help me if you could also give me a few brands you like. I realise just because the one product is good it may not apply to all models across that brands range. By the way any comments on my chosen one? I estimate a total rig consumption about 350w and rarely running flat out.

The biggest Key is research research research.

No matter what.

PSU's for example, Silverstone makes (Well uses) a really good OEM For the mid-high range (Enhance). That gives them exceptional units, however there Highest End ZEUS is done my SevenTeam (and it sucks). Or even the low range units made my a variety of lower end OEM's makes for questionable units in that range too.

The BeQuiet! is actually not that bad of a brand.
Corsair makes very decent and cheap kit as well (Builder series are getting better each generation).
One exception to the rule is Seasonic branded (being there own OEM) units are basically the best default fool proof PSU.

I say the Same for MB's too.
I had 22 done with the M4T785TD-V boards, 9 failures now 2 of them catastrophic. However I also did 18 with the 790X Pro Boards and have had zero failure rate. Why? Better PWM and Cap's among other things on the board. The EVO boards were good, for at least the first year however after a while they started dying.

Had I done a bit more research on it, I would have choosen a different board for the builds.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 25, 2013, 02:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The biggest Key is research research research.

No matter what.

PSU's for example, Silverstone makes (Well uses) a really good OEM For the mid-high range (Enhance). That gives them exceptional units, however there Highest End ZEUS is done my SevenTeam (and it sucks). Or even the low range units made my a variety of lower end OEM's makes for questionable units in that range too.

The BeQuiet! is actually not that bad of a brand.
Corsair makes very decent and cheap kit as well (Builder series are getting better each generation).
One exception to the rule is Seasonic branded (being there own OEM) units are basically the best default fool proof PSU.

I say the Same for MB's too.
I had 22 done with the M4T785TD-V boards, 9 failures now 2 of them catastrophic. However I also did 18 with the 790X Pro Boards and have had zero failure rate. Why? Better PWM and Cap's among other things on the board. The EVO boards were good, for at least the first year however after a while they started dying.

Had I done a bit more research on it, I would have choosen a different board for the builds.

-ST
Research turned up some good stuff from a Dave Jones on evblog about capacitors -although I'm probably the last kid on the block to discover him. I had some pc chips socket 486 that after 3 months the first "funny things happening" started, we would turn them on side panel off and watch the entire contents of the caps bubble out the blown top. Tops did the job none exploded, I would not do that now. Returned boards and moved a bit upmarket. Same learning curve on power supplys sadly,wasted a lot of time. My problem on boards is what is acceptable quality. last 5 years I've been going cheap again because the quality of low end Msi asus gigabyte . Maybe I have gone too far.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:14 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

To be fair...MSI's low end is a better than most. I would still bump up a level but if you HAVE to go cheap....MSI is hard to beat (right now). Good bang for your buck boards at all price points. IF they came with 10 sata ports I would probably run them exclusively in my own rigs.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 25, 2013, 05:36 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
...MSI is hard to beat (right now). Good bang for your buck boards at all price points. .
Bang for the buck you said, 2 days ago I order 2 x GD-55 at $ 117 on Amazon, they are also in special at Egg at $ 125.....this board is sick for the price. You even have software to OC it from a Phone, way better than the one on $ 400 Asus ROG boards. You can even control Media Center with it.