Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Best WS for Adobe Creative Cloud (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/59288-best-ws-adobe-creative-cloud.html)

botat29 January 22, 2013 10:12 AM

Best WS for Adobe Creative Cloud

I just subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud, I'm very existed and I really enjoy it even if I'm new to this kind of stuff. I will of course work on website, create my own drawings but make few video too. I already purchase a ASUS P9X79 WS and a matching i7-3930K. It.s about my first experience with Adobe stuff and video editing; what will be the best arrangement for HD to fit with my needs, keep in mind that I intend to use an Intel 520 series as OS drives and the board I choose give the possibility to cache 2 mechanical drives with SSDs , So what will be the best arrangement of drives and witch will be a DAM good GPU, nothing, no games will be played in the Workstation.

Generic User #2 January 22, 2013 07:30 PM

you only need 3 drives: SSD Boot Drive, HDD video source drive, HDD video 'receive' drive. the rest are for storage. recommend 2TB HDDs with 'storage' speeds (think WD green performance) because that's an affordable size and is large enough to offer good performance.

some people say you need 100s of MBs of throughput on your drives, but I've never seen an actual video professional say this was the case. keeping in mind this is only a single CPU system.

botat29 January 23, 2013 06:45 AM

Thanks Generic, it make sense to have a hd for reading and one for writing the video, but I will never put a green on my PC, the video I plan to do will be mainly for youtube or my website, nothing to fancy, what about uusing 2 x 500 GB black for it and a 2 tb for storage ?

so here how it should look

C:\ 120 or 240 GB Intel SSD
D:\ WD 2TB Black cache with a 64 GB SSD ( I already have this one )
E:\ WD 500 GB Black
F:\ WD 500 GB Black

No what about the Adobe Photoshop cache ? will be usefull to out it on a spare 40 GB SSD ? is it enough, because I have a spare one too. I would like also to put the page files on it , so I will destroy a cheap SSD instead of my Intel SSD

xmanrigger February 12, 2013 01:38 PM

I built a PhotoShop machine in Dec/12 for an artist pursuing a Bachelors in Fine Arts at ACAD. I ended up going with the P9X79-LE with an i7-3820 CPU. I did some reading at a few PhotoShop forums. I had originally planned on a GTX680 for the build, but all indications were that a GTX580 was more suitable. The general consensus was the GTX580 was best all around card as the GTX680 doesnt play nice with GPGPU. I had also considered a Quadro, but again, the pros say it is a waste unless 3D rendering, and a GTX580 will smoke it in most all other duties. The fastest Quad-core CPU you can afford is best. Hence, the i7-3820.

I went with a pair of Samsung 840 SSDs and a 3TB HDD. Win7/PS on one SSD, and Paging/Scratch Disc on the other. The 3TB was for storage. It was suggested the 840 was not a good choice for Paging, but I havnt heard of any issues from the end user to date. Time will tell. Might not be the optimal drive config, but works well.

With that said, I would say a GTX580 is what you want for a GPU.

P9X79-LE / i7-3820 / 32GB Ripjawz / 2X Samsung 840 120GB / 3TB WD HDD / 3GB EVGA GTX580 / AX750 PSU / Corsair Vengence Case / Corsair H100 cooler

http://imageshack.us/scaled/large/259/001pc248336.jpg
http://imageshack.us/scaled/large/10/016pc278372.jpg
http://imageshack.us/scaled/large/401/011pc278373.jpg

I am not the greatest with a camera as you can see.
Great case, but the holes in the side window suck donkey nuts. Another thing I didnt care for was the fan mounting holes. They are all oversized to allow for rubber dampening grommets. It seemed as though the weight of the rad would pull the screws thru, so I used washers.

botat29 February 12, 2013 03:03 PM

Thanks for the reply, I have a GTX 580 on my gaming PC that I may replace with a 680 or wait to see what Nvidia will release. Fr now I use a GTX 560 but I still look for another GPU,

Until now I have

i7-3930K ( I go 6 cores I don't see the purpose to go with a X79 2011 socket and a quad core.
I run the CPU at 4,2 ghz, under a Kilance 380 block, I don't want to OC I want stability but since the only available cooler I have was water, I give a little push.
ASUS P9X79 WS
4 x 2TB black ( 2 on RMA, what a peace of junk )
2 x Intel series 520 120 gb in Raid 0 ( have overkill onsite and offsite backup)
16 GB of 1600 ram, I'm still looking for 32 GB of ram
2 x 560 in SLI, just for test, I wil replace with a single GPU.
Corsair 1200 AX ( I know, a little bit overkill :), but i have it already )

For now it's under water in an old Corsair 800d case, I wait for my new Phanteks cooler to place it on a Haf XB, I like this case, I prefer a case on my desk, less dust.

xmanrigger February 12, 2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botat29 (Post 690180)
Thanks for the reply, I have a GTX 580 on my gaming PC that I may replace with a 680 or wait to see what Nvidia will release. Fr now I use a GTX 560 but I still look for another GPU,

Until now I have

i7-3930K ( I go 6 cores I don't see the purpose to go with a X79 2011 socket and a quad core.
I run the CPU at 4,2 ghz, under a Kilance 380 block, I don't want to OC I want stability but since the only available cooler I have was water, I give a little push.
ASUS P9X79 WS
4 x 2TB black ( 2 on RMA, what a peace of junk )
2 x Intel series 520 120 gb in Raid 0 ( have overkill onsite and offsite backup)
16 GB of 1600 ram, I'm still looking for 32 GB of ram
2 x 560 in SLI, just for test, I wil replace with a single GPU.
Corsair 1200 AX ( I know, a little bit overkill :), but i have it already )

For now it's under water in an old Corsair 800d case, I wait for my new Phanteks cooler to place it on a Haf XB, I like this case, I prefer a case on my desk, less dust.

With no daubt, go with the 3930K if you already have it. I was suggesting a Quad if you had to buy, as you wont see much gain if any with 6 cores in PhotoShop.