Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Not a new build, looking for an inexpensive upgrade (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/59168-not-new-build-looking-inexpensive-upgrade.html)

Dr_BenD_over January 16, 2013 05:05 AM

Not a new build, looking for an inexpensive upgrade

I'm thinking of getting a bit of a performance upgrade for the old Q6600 based system in my system specs. I'm budgeting around $200 so obviously that's not going to get me a new mobo/ram/CPU which I so direly need (well, not really, this thing still plays everything I want to play just fine). Any thoughts? An SSD would be an obviously choice, but it would be a PITA to re-install everything...

great_big_abyss January 16, 2013 05:10 AM

You can use data migration software. I just used Intel's to clone to an SSD. Works like a charm.

belinik January 16, 2013 06:13 AM

second on data migration clone... if you buys an intel ssd they will come with a software that does it. Pretty sure other company have similiar solution tho.

great_big_abyss January 16, 2013 06:49 AM

Acronis is one such software. In fact, the Intel software is basically Acronis.

I used it last night, and it works like a charm.

Dr_BenD_over January 16, 2013 07:34 AM

I suspect that whatever drive Win7 is on, it's takes up more space than I'd have available on an SSD that I could afford.

Nodscene January 16, 2013 07:39 AM

Well you should be able to get a 240gb ssd so that should be more than enough room. Worst case scenario you may have to do some cleanup before migration. Move any pictures, music, downloads etc off the C drive. Run CCleaner to free up some space. Uninstall programs you don't use and possibly some of the larger games if needed. You can always reinstall to the old drive after the switch if necessary.

great_big_abyss January 16, 2013 08:03 AM

What Nodscene said. Backup all unneccesary files to another drive (ISO's, media, etc). Run Ccleaner and Defraggler. If your data is still too large to fit the SSD that you want, uninstall some programs, then run defraggler again. Use Acronis or Intel's own software to clone the system partition to the SSD. Once this is done, check to ensure TRIM is enabled, disable all scheduled defragmentation (kills an SSD) and turn off drive indexing.

Finally, reinstall any programs/games you may have uninstalled. If you don't have any room left on the SSD, you can install them on your old HDD. I would choose programs that don't mind having a longer load time (as the programs on the SSD will load nearly instantaneously).

Also, SSD's are becoming surprisingly affordable these days. Here is a 240GB Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD for $189.99. Add tax and shipping, and you're just slightly over your $200 limit.

Bond007 January 16, 2013 09:27 AM

With that budget and your current parts it has to be an SSD. Otherwise save the money until you get a bit more for the CPU/Ram/MOB upgrade.

Dr_BenD_over January 17, 2013 03:24 AM

I'd say I've freed up enough room to use a 180GB+ drive, any suggestions?

And am I going to need a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter? I forgot to check the drive bays on my Phantom last night to see if they really supported 2.5 drives. (It would appear so)

great_big_abyss January 17, 2013 05:05 AM

Intel 520 series
Crucial M4
Samsung 840 Pro.