Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2013, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Default HTPC/Temp PC

I was wondering if I could get feedback from you guys on a current build that I'm going to use as a temp fix for my girlfriend to play Sims 3 until I give her my PC and then I'd be using it as a home theater.

CPU: all I know as of now is that it's a Intel 2 Core Duo
PSU: 400W ACEPOWER
Motherboard: ASUS P5L-MX
Ram: 2GB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GT 610

I have everything expect for the video card. I picked this card simply because I didn't want something too old and I wanted an HDMI port. I was wondering if it is worth bumping it to at least 4 gb of ram.

Edit: Forgot to mention I would be running W8.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Win 8 64 bit ass much RAM as you can get onto board.
Win 8 32 Bit 4 GB is all it will use anyway so max it out.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scripter View Post
I was wondering if I could get feedback from you guys on a current build that I'm going to use as a temp fix for my girlfriend to play Sims 3 until I give her my PC and then I'd be using it as a home theater.

CPU: all I know as of now is that it's a Intel 2 Core Duo
PSU: 400W ACEPOWER
Motherboard: ASUS P5L-MX
Ram: 2GB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GT 610

I have everything expect for the video card. I picked this card simply because I didn't want something too old and I wanted an HDMI port. I was wondering if it is worth bumping it to at least 4 gb of ram.

Edit: Forgot to mention I would be running W8.
I highly suggest 4gb of ram and depending on that CPU it may not be enough. I had troubles playing 1080p with a q6600 and 2gb of ram.

I have a i5 750 with 4gb of ram and a GT 520 and play 1080p perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
You don't need a lot of ram.. 4gb is plenty for a htpc
Old January 15, 2013, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't put any money into it unless you can get DDR2 ram for cheap. Do you have both memory slots populated? 2x 1GB modules or just a single 2GB stick?

Memory Support list
Old January 15, 2013, 08:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
I was planning to use Win 8 32 Bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I highly suggest 4gb of ram and depending on that CPU it may not be enough. I had troubles playing 1080p with a q6600 and 2gb of ram.

I have a i5 750 with 4gb of ram and a GT 520 and play 1080p perfectly

You don't need a lot of ram.. 4gb is plenty for a htpc
Thanks for the feedback. I was going to use XBMC so an alternative would be to install something like Linux Mint which I could then install XBMC. Are most media centers based on linux or windows nowadays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post

I wouldn't put any money into it unless you can get DDR2 ram for cheap. Do you have both memory slots populated? 2x 1GB modules or just a single 2GB stick?

Memory Support list
I have 2x 1GB modules. I saw for 35$ shipped 2x 2GB and thought it was decent so that's why I was debating if it was worth it.

Edit: Btw, thanks for the replies I appreciate it.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scripter View Post
I was planning to use Win 8 32 Bit.

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to use XBMC so an alternative would be to install something like Linux Mint which I could then install XBMC. Are most media centers based on linux or windows nowadays?

I have 2x 1GB modules. I saw for 35$ shipped 2x 2GB and thought it was decent so that's why I was debating if it was worth it.

Edit: Btw, thanks for the replies I appreciate it.
Personally I went the linux route to start but just found it too difficult to use for stuff like x264 and playing original blu ray discs so I switched back to Windows.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:33 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Core2 D/Q is perfectly fine for a HTPC. You dont need a huge amount of power unless you are planning on gaming with the latest titles. As far as video goes, again, you dont need anything special. I bought a couple of GIGABYTE|GV-N610SL-1GI GT610 1G for 2 different machines, both running Core2 Duo CPUs. Both cards replaced GT420 cards. Their fans are loud and annoying, but played movies flawlessly. Not a fan of Gigabyte, but the Egg had the 610s on special for $39/each and they are passively cooled, so I jumped on a pair of them. The majority of movies I watch on them are .mkv, and they play butter smooth.