Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   My $675 Gaming Build, Thoughts? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/58960-my-675-gaming-build-thoughts.html)

igot6strings January 6, 2013 05:38 AM

My $675 Gaming Build, Thoughts?

Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail $217
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX550M 550W ATX Modular Power Supply $69
ASRock Z77 EXTREME3 Motherboard $102
Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series 8GB 2X4GB $36
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 OC 975MHZ 2GB $187
Cougar Solution AF2 Middle Tower ATX Gaming Case $45
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $19

I assume this will all work together properly?
Thoughts? Alternatives?

Might be selling my i7 960 system for $975ish, this will give me equal performance for gaming and some extra cash in my pocket($200 or so). Good idea or no? i7 960, msi x58m, 12gb corsair vengeance, 750w nzxt hale 90 psu..

Dzzope January 6, 2013 06:17 AM

Unless you have a seriously expensive case or it's water cooled you'll be very lucky to get that price for your old machine.. The new one should beat it in almost every way.

igot6strings January 6, 2013 06:27 AM

Not exactly. Someone on here suggested I put it up for $1000 and take any serious offers above $750, I put it up for $975 and someone has sparked an interest. I didn't post it on the BuySell forums here of course. I wasn't too sure if I'd be gaining enough to justify all the bs that goes along with selling on classifieds and building a new system but you folks think if that person is interested and offers a reasonable amount I should take it?

On the Lam January 6, 2013 07:05 AM

Why would anyone pay you $1000 when you are getting newer and better parts for $675? Think about that for a second.

igot6strings January 6, 2013 07:48 AM

^Not my problem lol
I'm not getting a $1000 for it, i put up $975 on the listing and they sparked interest, no price was discussed yet. Like I said above I just want to be sure that I'm not going thru all this trouble for nothing if I do sell it, regardless of the final price.

Dragonstongue January 6, 2013 11:23 AM

power supply Antec Neo Eco 520c/650c $58.99-$73.99 excellent power supplies

I would say as a suggestion considering you are going for better quality parts by the checklist, get a better motherboard from MSI, Asus, Gigabyte. I know at least 3 buddies that got Asrock within the last 2 years and they have had failure after failure, in 2 cases when they sent back for RMA and had to wait a few weeks, they ended up getting the exact same board back with nothing done to it, one of them was simply put a manufacturer defect in the way the ports were soldered onto the baord, and yet, not fixed, I say stay away from Asrock no matter how good the price/reviews are-reviewers are usuall payed off anyways :P

Gskill for memory all the way for me, I suggest nothing else.

For video card the 7850 are great little cards for thier price, but there is also better choices then gigabyte, sapphire, Asus, MSI at leeast for the 7850/7870 are by far better, the asus ones are a bit louder but they are known to be excellent overclockers, all card be it factory overclocked or not usually have the same chance of hitting higher clocks, the difference is in the cooler that they use, MSI/Sapphire/ASUS with thier dual fan coolers are simply a better choice then gigabytes trifan coolers they cool the entire card from the core to the vregs better. Again, another suggestion just to get the most value per $ spent, go for a Radeon 7890/7930 or what sapphire calles 7870XT and powercolor calls pitcairn LE. There is a few games at 1080p I cannot run full out with my overclocked 7870, 7870XT is just that much faster and a better overclocker, is well worth its cost.

if you are going to be overclocking, that cooler will do quite good, but it does have its limits, if you`re not going to be, save the $ on the K chip and get a non K chip instead.

igot6strings January 6, 2013 11:51 AM

Excellent advice. Thank you.
How would a 3220 with a 7950 do from a gaming perspective only? Would that be a better gaming setup? I understand the processor doesn't compare whatsoever but for strictly gaming would I get better frames with a 3220 and a 7950 over the i5 3570k and 7850/70?

Dzzope January 6, 2013 05:28 PM

I find it very odd that someone is willing to pay more for older slower less efficient tech but if they want to pay then I say accept anything that will cover a new build.

I think you'll see minimal difference in either unless a game is very heavy on either the cpu or gpu..

Considering your res and the small power difference between the gpu's I'd get the i5 and upgrade the GPU when something twice as powerful is out in a year or so.
You would probably see little difference with the cpu's now but the i5 will last considerably longer than the i3 whereas the gpus would probably have a couple of months worth.

If you sell your machine for more than your paying for this, why not get both the i5 and the 7950?

igot6strings January 7, 2013 05:23 AM

^ I do too but there are plenty of lazy and tech ignorant people out there. I also live in Newfoundland so options for good tech components are pretty hard to come by. Even on ebay my processor goes for nearly $300 where as a 3570K is only $218 at NCIX right now. Selling my processor alone on ebay would nearly get me enough cash to buy the 3570k and a new board. I may go that route yet. I already have it listed on ebay for $280 'Buy It Now/Best Offer' so who knows. It wouldn't be hard to sell my X58M to make up the difference needed to get my new board. The rest of my system is still more than adequate. My ram should still work in dual channel mode I would assume, my 6870 is oc'd to the moon with my arctic accelero and my psu is top of the line so it would be less of a headache to just ebay all the older stuff and buy a new cpu/board.