Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2013, 07:30 AM
MVP

Default NAS or Home server?

Well if you remember a while ago I was going to build a serious gaming PC around a BitFenix Prodigy/ Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe mobo/ Seasonic X660 PSU. Was going to get a 7970 or a 670 and a 3770K but never got around to it due to limited funds since then.

However it has come to my attention that I build these powerful computers....then almost NEVER game on them and just use them for internet. WHAT A WASTE!!!!

It has also come to my attention that whenever I need space I seem to never have enough...

So here is the question. Should I build a Windows Home Server ( or better yet a Linux based alternative ) or just buy a NAS and populate that with some Western Digital Reds 2TB.

Just to clarify I already have a case, PSU, mobo, 8GB of Samsung LP ram sitting here....may as well not let them go to waste or I will just resell them.

IF I decide to go server I just just purchase a Intel Core i3 3220T ( 35W ) and slap that in and use the onboard GPU.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old January 5, 2013, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you think that you just need more storage then a NAS is probably the easiest and most simple thing to do. Basically plug and play.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:12 AM
MVP

Also forget to add that I will be ripping my entire DVD collection as well. That will take a lot of space and weeks to do if not a couple months. LOL!!!!

Will be wanting to use this as a streaming server as well. Can a NAS do that as well?

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old January 5, 2013, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
Also forget to add that I will be ripping my entire DVD collection as well. That will take a lot of space and weeks to do if not a couple months. LOL!!!!

Will be wanting to use this as a streaming server as well. Can a NAS do that as well?
I have a Dlink 325 NAS and it supports DLNA media streaming to a device that supports DLNA (PS3 was what I had at one point) otherwise you can just share the NAS volume to a Media box (I used a patriot box office at the time). NAS's are nice if you don't want to have all your drives in your main rig and keep your PC on all the time.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:01 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I use a HP EX485, and honestly I don't use any of the features on it really, it just streams MKV's- no encoding on the fly, back ups, etc.

Decide how much storage you need, what you you need it to do, and what level of redundancy you want.

Old January 5, 2013, 10:33 AM
MVP

Storage: Much as possible.

I have a lot of TV DVD sets that need to be ripped, movies from DVD and as soon as I get a Bluray Drive those will be ripped as well. Will also be used as a iTunes storage. It will only back up one PC so far....possibly two. As for music and photos....not a lot of those.

Was thinking 4 x 3tb WD Reds or 6 x 2tb WD Reds if I decide to go the server route.

I need it to stream HD video to a Xbox 360 or a Apple TV latest gen ( jailbroken of course )

If a NAS can do that then great.....but a NAS with that much storage would cost quite a bit and since I already have SOME of the parts.....

I dunno.....

Old January 5, 2013, 11:37 AM
Top Prospect

If you are intending to rip movies then building a custom built NAS or WHS is a better choice since you can rip the DVD directly from the server. You won't be able to do that on a NAS.

I'm using a WHS myself but I will be making a transition to a 24 bay NAS when I can get the funds together. (Just need to get expander backplane, SAS card and 24 hard drives. LOL)
Old January 5, 2013, 12:07 PM
Top Prospect

Seen as you already have some of the parts on hand, build a server as it will allow for a lot more functionality than a NAS would, afterall it is a full-fledged computer. FreeNAS, WHS, Windows 7 or 8 would all work well for your intended purposes, however their may be a slight learning curve to set up depending upon what environment you are familiar with. A Windows environment can accomodate iTunes wonderfully (which I also use to organize my media to stream to an Apple TV), however I cannot personally recommend Windows 8 and it's Storage Spaces feature as I have yet to upgrade my media server to that OS.

There happens to be a great website that focuses on WHS & NAS: We Got Served
Old January 5, 2013, 12:24 PM
Allstar

Ready built NAS boxes are great if power is a concern or you don't already have the parts kicking around. I would suggest because you have the parts build a server out of your PC parts. Home Server is actually pretty decent as well and is priced in such a way that its hard to say no.

I would stay away from windows 7 and 8 for a server, it will be more of a head ache and WHS is 1/2 the price for more server capabilities.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:26 PM
MVP

Thank you for your advice guys and the link to "We got served" site. WIll look into it.

Now lets talk hardware. Been looking around and was wondering if my choice of CPU is the right one. ( i3 3220T )

I want this thing to be as energy efficient as possible and SILENT. Any ideas?