Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 2, 2013, 12:44 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 34

My System Specs

Cool New high-performance workstation/gaming PC, Opinions?

Just thought I'd post my build that I'll be working on in a few months here. I'd like to see what people think.
And if you think I should change something, voice it!

What It'll be used for:
Heavy HD video editing and rendering.
3D Work (Animation and modeling/rendering).
Playing/Recording games at 1080p.
Large amounts of multitasking.
Photo editing (Photoshop CS6).
Programming various little mods for games, etc.

My budget: ~$2,500 USD ($3,000 including peripherals).
Haven't got to buy anything yet.

Parts list:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H -- After a lot of research, it has everything I want:
- 2 Way SLI support.
- Intel LAN controller.
- Realtek ALC898 audio.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k -- Great CPU, Nearly X79 performance without the X79 price, can't beat it!
- Corsair H100i (Because I'm really interested in overclocking, but not immediatly after I get it +good temp
- 2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 (Thanks to Rollergold for recommending) for the H100i.

GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 680 -- Chose for:
- High recommendation of MSI
- Nice stock OC.
- Dual fan.
- MSI exclusive features.

RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X blue. -- 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24 Timings
- All the RAM I'll ever need (I can verify that I can and will use more than 16GB)
- Good speed.
- Great CAS latency for the price.

Storage:
1x Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD -- OS, games, and a select few important programs.
- Thanks great_big_abyss for recommending getting a 256GB.
1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB -- Other games, Programs, etc.
1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB -- Temporary workspaces, Backups.
1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB -- Ubuntu drive (Because I can't live without good old Linux.

PSU: Corsair HX850 -- Highly recommended to me.
- 850w, So plenty of room for expansion.
- 80+ Gold.
- Modular.

Optical Drives: ASUS 24x DVD burner -- Nothing special.

Case: NZXT Switch 810 SE Matte Black-- Beast. No one will change my mind on this.
- Full Tower.
- Plenty of space.
- Amazing cable management.
- Looks great + has a side window.
- + NZXT Hue RGB LED controller

Monitors: Dual Asus VE228H LED monitors.
- Cheap.
- 1080p.
- HDMI

Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger (With Cherry MX brown) -- Perfect keyboard.
- Mechanical (CMX Brown switches, The exact switch I want.)
- Backlit.
- Full numpad.
- Cheaper than my other options.

Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei -- It changes colours.
- High DPI.
- Not too big, or too small.

Microphone: Blue Yeti Silver Edition -- Highly recommended studio quality microphone.
- Under $100.
- + Nady MPF-6 Pop Filter.
- + On Stage Stands MS7701 mic stand/boom.

Camera: Logitech C920 -- Since I won't have the luxury of my laptop's integrated webcam anymore
- 1080p
- Smooth
- Good features
- I do a lot of skyping, and I'd like to be able to make 1080p youtube videos.

I know that some will argue that the peripherals are not part of the build. They are to me.
But yeah.. Remember that $2,500 USD budget?

Current total price: ~$2,975 (Including peripherals) USD

Last edited by TheWildRose; January 8, 2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Changed mouse.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 2, 2013, 01:30 AM
Rollergold's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 121

My System Specs

Default

Everything looks good but I have a few suggestions though.
  • If you were to use a GTX 670 instead of the 680 you would still get great 1080p performance at a better price.
  • Personally I find the SP120 High Performance fans much too loud for the temps I get out of them. I would go with 2 Gentle Typhoon 1850's or if your ok with their interesting colour scheme 2 Noctua NF-F12's. If your fine with the extra noise have at it, I myself can't stand the amount of noise they make even with the low noise adapters
  • I also suggest the Asus VH326H over the Dell's as depending on where you get them from, they are either cheaper or the same price + the Asus's have more connections then the Dell's.
Other then that you got a good build plan going.
__________________

Asus P6X58-E WS | i7 920 D0 @ 4.01ghz W/ Apogee HD Block | 24gb (3x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 2x EVGA GTX 680 SC's in SLI W/ XSPC Razor Blocks |
4x 1tb WD Black Drives | SB Recon 3D PCIe | Swiftech MP655-SE Pump | Swiftech Maelstrom Res | CM HAF 932 | Corsair HX 850 (3 yr's old) | Asus VH236H + PA238QR
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 2, 2013, 01:59 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 34

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollergold View Post
Everything looks good but I have a few suggestions though.
  • If you were to use a GTX 670 instead of the 680 you would still get great 1080p performance at a better price.
  • Personally I find the SP120 High Performance fans much too loud for the temps I get out of them. I would go with 2 Gentle Typhoon 1850's or if your ok with their interesting colour scheme 2 Noctua NF-F12's. If your fine with the extra noise have at it, I myself can't stand the amount of noise they make even with the low noise adapters
  • I also suggest the Asus VH326H over the Dell's as depending on where you get them from, they are either cheaper or the same price + the Asus's have more connections then the Dell's.
Other then that you got a good build plan going.
The GTX 670 is only $50 cheaper than the 680, My mindset is if I'm going to spend over $400 on a graphics card I might as well go for the highest end card, It just makes more sense. Along with the added benefit of better performance (If only by 10-20FPS). Thanks for the input, though. I just can't see paying $410 for a card when I could spend $460 and get the 680.
.
As for the gentle typhoons, the grey/black is perfect in terms of colour. Noctua.. not so much, I have a nice window in my case to show off the nice..clean..lit-up..colour matched interior...
I'll switch to the gentle typhoons, They push ~the same amount of air, apparently, thanks!

The ASUS monitor.. at my main supplier is a bit more expensive, too much so to warrant the choice.
And newegg (My go-to "The other place doesn't have it" store), the model number doesn't bring up a result.

Thanks for all the input! ~edit~ The gentle typhoons are cheaper too!
__________________
"what's that black fan at the back of the case for? I never see it on."
"Well it's REALLY loud, but it's 5500 RPM and moves a TON of air."
"Why do you have it though?"
"Well... It's the "Oh s**t!" fan."
"What do you mean?"
"Well what do you say when your graphics card hits 90c?"
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 2, 2013, 03:12 AM
Dzzope's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Irishman in Kiev, wOOoo, I'm an alien...
Posts: 2,776

My System Specs

Default

Considering the ammount of editing, I'd be looking at at least one ips panel for the vast improvement on colour.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 2, 2013, 09:28 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 34

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Considering the ammount of editing, I'd be looking at at least one ips panel for the vast improvement on colour.
I didn't pick an IPS for a few reasons.
1: I easily notice difference between colour across two monitors, so when I'm using both monitors as a workspace it would bother me.
2: Since I do a lot of gaming IPS panels aren't that good since the high response time
3: Having perfect colour for editing isn't a big deal for me as I don't do it professionally, It's more of a hobby than anything, And having dealt with a 2008 laptop monitor for quite some time (Still using it, right now) I'm sure even the TN panel on the Dell monitors I'm getting will be a major difference.
__________________
"what's that black fan at the back of the case for? I never see it on."
"Well it's REALLY loud, but it's 5500 RPM and moves a TON of air."
"Why do you have it though?"
"Well... It's the "Oh s**t!" fan."
"What do you mean?"
"Well what do you say when your graphics card hits 90c?"
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 2, 2013, 09:46 AM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,211

My System Specs

Default

Go for a 256GB SSD. You'll find that 128GB fills up very quickly. My 128GB SSD is currently filled with my OS and a bunch of games, and I'm starting to look at upgrading to a 256GB. It didn't take long to fill. Less than 6 months.
Other than that, this looks like a fantastic high end build.
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 2, 2013, 09:59 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 34

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Go for a 256GB SSD. You'll find that 128GB fills up very quickly. My 128GB SSD is currently filled with my OS and a bunch of games, and I'm starting to look at upgrading to a 256GB. It didn't take long to fill. Less than 6 months.
Other than that, this looks like a fantastic high end build.
Sounds good, I have a vertex 4 128GB currently with 7 home premium on it, and a few games and programs.
I'll look into the 256GB version of it, depends on how much more it costs, money is at a premium right now since I'm already over-budget.

Thanks for the input!
__________________
"what's that black fan at the back of the case for? I never see it on."
"Well it's REALLY loud, but it's 5500 RPM and moves a TON of air."
"Why do you have it though?"
"Well... It's the "Oh s**t!" fan."
"What do you mean?"
"Well what do you say when your graphics card hits 90c?"
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 2, 2013, 10:25 AM
Rollergold's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 121

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildRose View Post
The GTX 670 is only $50 cheaper than the 680, My mindset is if I'm going to spend over $400 on a graphics card I might as well go for the highest end card, It just makes more sense. Along with the added benefit of better performance (If only by 10-20FPS). Thanks for the input, though. I just can't see paying $410 for a card when I could spend $460 and get the 680.
.
As for the gentle typhoons, the grey/black is perfect in terms of colour. Noctua.. not so much, I have a nice window in my case to show off the nice..clean..lit-up..colour matched interior...
I'll switch to the gentle typhoons, They push ~the same amount of air, apparently, thanks!

The ASUS monitor.. at my main supplier is a bit more expensive, too much so to warrant the choice.
And newegg (My go-to "The other place doesn't have it" store), the model number doesn't bring up a result.

Thanks for all the input! ~edit~ The gentle typhoons are cheaper too!
Oops I meant the Asus VH236H. My bad.
__________________

Asus P6X58-E WS | i7 920 D0 @ 4.01ghz W/ Apogee HD Block | 24gb (3x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 2x EVGA GTX 680 SC's in SLI W/ XSPC Razor Blocks |
4x 1tb WD Black Drives | SB Recon 3D PCIe | Swiftech MP655-SE Pump | Swiftech Maelstrom Res | CM HAF 932 | Corsair HX 850 (3 yr's old) | Asus VH236H + PA238QR
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 2, 2013, 11:06 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 34

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollergold View Post
Oops I meant the Asus VH236H. My bad.
Turns out that's the one that was more expensive that showed up for me, haha!
I looked into it a bit farther and it seems the dell is a bit better.
Thanks though!
__________________
"what's that black fan at the back of the case for? I never see it on."
"Well it's REALLY loud, but it's 5500 RPM and moves a TON of air."
"Why do you have it though?"
"Well... It's the "Oh s**t!" fan."
"What do you mean?"
"Well what do you say when your graphics card hits 90c?"
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 6, 2013, 02:17 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 34

My System Specs

Default

It seems like the more I think I have a solid plan the more I change. lol.
So many changes have gone into this PC, seriously.
And I've added a few things that weren't in the setup to start with, (mic, mic stand/boom, pop filter, Webcam, etc).

Biggest change I've made is switching to Blue G.Skill Ripjaws, they're way more recommended, have better reviews, and have better timings. I just wish they came in black lol. (And I've looked at G.Skill Sniper, I prefer the ripjaws).

Everything is coming together nicely.. But the total cost shows it.. haha!
__________________
"what's that black fan at the back of the case for? I never see it on."
"Well it's REALLY loud, but it's 5500 RPM and moves a TON of air."
"Why do you have it though?"
"Well... It's the "Oh s**t!" fan."
"What do you mean?"
"Well what do you say when your graphics card hits 90c?"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Mid-High gaming RIG, need opinions! lightninstrikr New Builds 66 October 17, 2011 06:57 AM
High Budget Gaming Rig (Opinions and Advice Much Appreciated!) 3scape_ New Builds 24 January 1, 2011 10:15 PM
MLC High Performance SSD-CORSAIR Performance Series 128GB PC/NB Dual Platform Test windwithme Storage 2 April 10, 2010 07:44 AM
NZXT Unleashes Avatar High Performance Gaming Mouse cryostage Rumor Mill 1 August 11, 2008 06:59 PM