Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   New high-performance workstation/gaming PC, Opinions? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/58868-new-high-performance-workstation-gaming-pc-opinions.html)

TheWildRose January 2, 2013 12:44 AM

New high-performance workstation/gaming PC, Opinions?

Just thought I'd post my build that I'll be working on in a few months here. I'd like to see what people think.
And if you think I should change something, voice it!

What It'll be used for:
Heavy HD video editing and rendering.
3D Work (Animation and modeling/rendering).
Playing/Recording games at 1080p.
Large amounts of multitasking.
Photo editing (Photoshop CS6).
Programming various little mods for games, etc.

My budget: ~$2,500 USD ($3,000 including peripherals).
Haven't got to buy anything yet.

Parts list:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H -- After a lot of research, it has everything I want:
- 2 Way SLI support.
- Intel LAN controller.
- Realtek ALC898 audio.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k -- Great CPU, Nearly X79 performance without the X79 price, can't beat it!
- Corsair H100i (Because I'm really interested in overclocking, but not immediatly after I get it +good temp
- 2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 (Thanks to Rollergold for recommending) for the H100i.

GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 680 -- Chose for:
- High recommendation of MSI
- Nice stock OC.
- Dual fan.
- MSI exclusive features.

RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X blue. -- 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24 Timings
- All the RAM I'll ever need (I can verify that I can and will use more than 16GB)
- Good speed.
- Great CAS latency for the price.

Storage:
1x Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD -- OS, games, and a select few important programs.
- Thanks great_big_abyss for recommending getting a 256GB.
1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB -- Other games, Programs, etc.
1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB -- Temporary workspaces, Backups.
1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB -- Ubuntu drive (Because I can't live without good old Linux.

PSU: Corsair HX850 -- Highly recommended to me.
- 850w, So plenty of room for expansion.
- 80+ Gold.
- Modular.

Optical Drives: ASUS 24x DVD burner -- Nothing special.

Case: NZXT Switch 810 SE Matte Black-- Beast. No one will change my mind on this.
- Full Tower.
- Plenty of space.
- Amazing cable management.
- Looks great + has a side window.
- + NZXT Hue RGB LED controller

Monitors: Dual Asus VE228H LED monitors.
- Cheap.
- 1080p.
- HDMI

Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger (With Cherry MX brown) -- Perfect keyboard.
- Mechanical (CMX Brown switches, The exact switch I want.)
- Backlit.
- Full numpad.
- Cheaper than my other options.

Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei -- It changes colours.
- High DPI.
- Not too big, or too small.

Microphone: Blue Yeti Silver Edition -- Highly recommended studio quality microphone.
- Under $100.
- + Nady MPF-6 Pop Filter.
- + On Stage Stands MS7701 mic stand/boom.

Camera: Logitech C920 -- Since I won't have the luxury of my laptop's integrated webcam anymore
- 1080p
- Smooth
- Good features
- I do a lot of skyping, and I'd like to be able to make 1080p youtube videos.

I know that some will argue that the peripherals are not part of the build. They are to me.
But yeah.. Remember that $2,500 USD budget?

Current total price: ~$2,975 (Including peripherals) USD

Rollergold January 2, 2013 01:30 AM

Everything looks good but I have a few suggestions though.
  • If you were to use a GTX 670 instead of the 680 you would still get great 1080p performance at a better price.
  • Personally I find the SP120 High Performance fans much too loud for the temps I get out of them. I would go with 2 Gentle Typhoon 1850's or if your ok with their interesting colour scheme 2 Noctua NF-F12's. If your fine with the extra noise have at it, I myself can't stand the amount of noise they make even with the low noise adapters :dots:
  • I also suggest the Asus VH326H over the Dell's as depending on where you get them from, they are either cheaper or the same price + the Asus's have more connections then the Dell's.
Other then that you got a good build plan going.

TheWildRose January 2, 2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollergold (Post 681530)
Everything looks good but I have a few suggestions though.
  • If you were to use a GTX 670 instead of the 680 you would still get great 1080p performance at a better price.
  • Personally I find the SP120 High Performance fans much too loud for the temps I get out of them. I would go with 2 Gentle Typhoon 1850's or if your ok with their interesting colour scheme 2 Noctua NF-F12's. If your fine with the extra noise have at it, I myself can't stand the amount of noise they make even with the low noise adapters :dots:
  • I also suggest the Asus VH326H over the Dell's as depending on where you get them from, they are either cheaper or the same price + the Asus's have more connections then the Dell's.
Other then that you got a good build plan going.

The GTX 670 is only $50 cheaper than the 680, My mindset is if I'm going to spend over $400 on a graphics card I might as well go for the highest end card, It just makes more sense. Along with the added benefit of better performance (If only by 10-20FPS). Thanks for the input, though. I just can't see paying $410 for a card when I could spend $460 and get the 680.
As for the gentle typhoons, the grey/black is perfect in terms of colour. Noctua.. not so much, I have a nice window in my case to show off the nice..clean..lit-up..colour matched interior...
I'll switch to the gentle typhoons, They push ~the same amount of air, apparently, thanks!

The ASUS monitor.. at my main supplier is a bit more expensive, too much so to warrant the choice.
And newegg (My go-to "The other place doesn't have it" store), the model number doesn't bring up a result.

Thanks for all the input! ~edit~ The gentle typhoons are cheaper too! :thumb:

Dzzope January 2, 2013 03:12 AM

Considering the ammount of editing, I'd be looking at at least one ips panel for the vast improvement on colour.

TheWildRose January 2, 2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 681537)
Considering the ammount of editing, I'd be looking at at least one ips panel for the vast improvement on colour.

I didn't pick an IPS for a few reasons.
1: I easily notice difference between colour across two monitors, so when I'm using both monitors as a workspace it would bother me.
2: Since I do a lot of gaming IPS panels aren't that good since the high response time
3: Having perfect colour for editing isn't a big deal for me as I don't do it professionally, It's more of a hobby than anything, And having dealt with a 2008 laptop monitor for quite some time (Still using it, right now) I'm sure even the TN panel on the Dell monitors I'm getting will be a major difference.

great_big_abyss January 2, 2013 09:46 AM

Go for a 256GB SSD. You'll find that 128GB fills up very quickly. My 128GB SSD is currently filled with my OS and a bunch of games, and I'm starting to look at upgrading to a 256GB. It didn't take long to fill. Less than 6 months.
Other than that, this looks like a fantastic high end build.

TheWildRose January 2, 2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 681605)
Go for a 256GB SSD. You'll find that 128GB fills up very quickly. My 128GB SSD is currently filled with my OS and a bunch of games, and I'm starting to look at upgrading to a 256GB. It didn't take long to fill. Less than 6 months.
Other than that, this looks like a fantastic high end build.

Sounds good, I have a vertex 4 128GB currently with 7 home premium on it, and a few games and programs.
I'll look into the 256GB version of it, depends on how much more it costs, money is at a premium right now since I'm already over-budget.

Thanks for the input!

Rollergold January 2, 2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWildRose (Post 681533)
The GTX 670 is only $50 cheaper than the 680, My mindset is if I'm going to spend over $400 on a graphics card I might as well go for the highest end card, It just makes more sense. Along with the added benefit of better performance (If only by 10-20FPS). Thanks for the input, though. I just can't see paying $410 for a card when I could spend $460 and get the 680.
As for the gentle typhoons, the grey/black is perfect in terms of colour. Noctua.. not so much, I have a nice window in my case to show off the nice..clean..lit-up..colour matched interior...
I'll switch to the gentle typhoons, They push ~the same amount of air, apparently, thanks!

The ASUS monitor.. at my main supplier is a bit more expensive, too much so to warrant the choice.
And newegg (My go-to "The other place doesn't have it" store), the model number doesn't bring up a result.

Thanks for all the input! ~edit~ The gentle typhoons are cheaper too! :thumb:

Oops I meant the Asus VH236H. My bad.

TheWildRose January 2, 2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollergold (Post 681621)
Oops I meant the Asus VH236H. My bad.

Turns out that's the one that was more expensive that showed up for me, haha!
I looked into it a bit farther and it seems the dell is a bit better.
Thanks though!

TheWildRose January 6, 2013 02:17 AM

It seems like the more I think I have a solid plan the more I change. lol.
So many changes have gone into this PC, seriously.
And I've added a few things that weren't in the setup to start with, (mic, mic stand/boom, pop filter, Webcam, etc).

Biggest change I've made is switching to Blue G.Skill Ripjaws, they're way more recommended, have better reviews, and have better timings. I just wish they came in black lol. (And I've looked at G.Skill Sniper, I prefer the ripjaws).

Everything is coming together nicely.. But the total cost shows it.. haha!