Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   1st PC build (moving from Mac) for video editing with Pr. Advise appreciated! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/58848-1st-pc-build-moving-mac-video-editing-page-ranking-advise-appreciated.html)

Purplegrrl January 1, 2013 07:04 AM

1st PC build (moving from Mac) for video editing with Pr. Advise appreciated!

Hi, I am moving over to Premiere from FCP7 on a mac. This is the build I am considering. Any advice/feedback would be very appreciated!

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s
DMI, 650MHz GPU, 8MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W, Retail

RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-14900 (1866),
Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-10-9-27, XMP, 1.5V

SSD: 240GB Corsair Force Series GT 2.5", SATA III - 6Gb/s SSD,
SandForce SF-2200, Read 555Mb/s, Write 525Mb/s, 85K IOPS

HDD: 2x 2TB WD WD2002FAEX Caviar Black, SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache OEM

BluRay: Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer 12x BD-R, x8 DVD±DL x16
DVD±R x6 DVD±RW SATA Black OEM

PSU: 850W Corsair Enthusiast Series 850TXV2, 85% Eff', 80 PLUS Bronze,
SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.31, PSU

Case: Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two V3 Mid Tower ATX Case, USB3, With
Side Window w/o PSU

WiFi: Netgear WN311B-100PES RangeMax Wireless-N PCI Adapter

Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCI-E Soundcard 5.1Ch THX/Dolby
Optical In/Out OEM

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA
RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), DisplayPort/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX

GPU: 2GB EVGA GTX 670, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU
915MHz, Boost 980MHz, Cores 1344, 2x DL DVI, DP, HDMI

ZZLEE January 1, 2013 07:30 AM

Get a K.
A 3770K only 20$ more but allows the possibility to overclock and resale value.

A Nvidia vidio card can take allot of the render work off the CPU.

Where do you live where you thinking of buying parts from ?

ilya January 1, 2013 08:15 AM

IIRC consumer level Kepler cards aren't supported by Premiere - you'll need to buy something older like a 470/570/580 or dish out the dough for a workstation card. I don't believe 6xx series consumer cards will ever get support due to architecture and marketing limitations.

A 4x8 or 2x8 memory kit will be a far better investment considering RAM prices have gone as low as they will for the foreseeable future. (manufacturers will be cutting down production in hopes of keeping prices stable or pushing them back up)

Even if you overclock everything an 850W PSU will be completely overkill. I would look into a higher end lower wattage/higher efficiency unit. (not that the Corsair isn't good) Some of the new lower wattage Seasonics should be in a similar/slightly lower price bracket. Antec also has some Platinum units that are pretty good in terms of price/quality.

Rollergold January 1, 2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 681327)
IIRC consumer level Kepler cards aren't supported by Premiere - you'll need to buy something older like a 470/570/580 or dish out the dough for a workstation card. I don't believe 6xx series consumer cards will ever get support due to architecture and marketing limitations.

A 4x8 or 2x8 memory kit will be a far better investment considering RAM prices have gone as low as they will for the foreseeable future. (manufacturers will be cutting down production in hopes of keeping prices stable or pushing them back up)

Even if you overclock everything an 850W PSU will be completely overkill. I would look into a higher end lower wattage/higher efficiency unit. (not that the Corsair isn't good) Some of the new lower wattage Seasonics should be in a similar/slightly lower price bracket. Antec also has some Platinum units that are pretty good in terms of price/quality.

Premiere Pro CS6 supports the 680 for sure and the 670 I think

Bond007 January 1, 2013 11:41 AM

Overall very nice. As mentioned if you want the possibility to OC in the future the. Get a 3770k. The nothing I am unsure of is the quality of the sound card you have chosen(someone else with experience can chime in on that).

Purplegrrl January 1, 2013 03:45 PM

Thank you all for your responses.
If the 3770k is not much more expensive then I think I will go for that, it was something I was considering anyway. I'll check on the Adobe site to see if the GTX 670 is compatible - thank you for the heads up on that!
As for the PSU - I was going to go for a 650W one but thought I might need the 850W, I'll have to rethink that!
ZZLEE - I live in Edinburgh in Scotland. A local PC shop is going to do the build for me - I wanted to choose the components myself though to make sure everything is as best as I can get it for video editing in my budget (£1500).

Rollergold January 1, 2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond007 (Post 681362)
Overall very nice. As mentioned if you want the possibility to OC in the future the. Get a 3770k. The nothing I am unsure of is the quality of the sound card you have chosen(someone else with experience can chime in on that).

I own that card but I can't give an opinion on the anlog outputs since the Astro Gaming USB Mixamp needs an optical connection. Creative says the card has a headphone amp that's able to drive 600 ohm headphones but given this card doesn't need external power I don't really buy that but If someone has HD 800's and this card, give it a try maybe it is true.

Rollergold January 1, 2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purplegrrl (Post 681446)
Thank you all for your responses.
If the 3770k is not much more expensive then I think I will go for that, it was something I was considering anyway. I'll check on the Adobe site to see if the GTX 670 is compatible - thank you for the heads up on that!
As for the PSU - I was going to go for a 650W one but thought I might need the 850W, I'll have to rethink that!
ZZLEE - I live in Edinburgh in Scotland. A local PC shop is going to do the build for me - I wanted to choose the components myself though to make sure everything is as best as I can get it for video editing in my budget (£1500).

The official adobe site doesn't show support for the 6xx series cards. They did an update to CS6 about 4 months ago + a post on their PP blog to announce 680 support however. Why they did not update their website afterwards but just a heads up on that.

concinnity January 2, 2013 12:58 PM

Welcome back from the Dark Side!:biggrin:

great_big_abyss January 2, 2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concinnity (Post 681644)
Welcome back from the Dark Side!:biggrin:

You mean the awesome, more powerful, more customizable, more affordable side!