Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Looking for advice on a potential PC build. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/58828-looking-advice-potential-pc-build.html)

JGWalrus December 30, 2012 07:02 PM

Looking for advice on a potential PC build.

Hey there everyone. Long time reader of Hardware canucks first time posting though,

I'm looking for some advice and help planning a new gaming desktop for me.
Also please bear with any slight typos and symbols missing....my keyboard is messed. thanks :biggrin:

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
I'm going to using it mainly for gaming. I plan on keeping my laptop for everything else. So it'll play games and maybe play music at the same time. I neither have the want or space for more than a single 1080p monitor.

2. What YOUR budget is.
800 to 1000. MAX 1150 with tax and shipping please. That doesn't include an os. And it doesn't have to include a monitor either.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada because shipping costs to much from the states.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
Alli can say is I've had intels fail on me but my AMDs have never done anything wrong. Other than that i refuse to buy samsung ram and hdds...way too many problems with them.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
My mouse and speakers. That's it.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Yes I have. I just don't have the time or knowledge to search the difference between everything. And it's always better to get more than 1 opinion. I put together a idea of what i want here:
AMD FX-6300, Sapphire Radeon HD 7870, BitFenix Ghost (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Default for a while.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
In a month I want to buy the parts and then put it together as soon as I get all thee parts.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
I currently run 1366x768 with no frills and crap settings. I'm looking to be able to get back into PC gaming without watching a strutting sceen go by. I also don't play games like BF3 or COD. I think my biggest graphical users i own are Syrim and Supreme Commander.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
Nope. I'd like a simple quiet case, but thats it.

So basically I'm looking for some help on building a 900 dollar queit pc that supports 1920x1080 on high, no ultra needed, games. And I'll be building it in a month once I've finished saving up the money.

Thanks in advance

SolidCree December 30, 2012 07:18 PM

Hardware Cost
$39 Keybaord
$115 Cpu FX-6100
$45 Patriot Viper 3 8GB 2X4GB PC3-15000 DDR3-1866
$89.99 Antec Eleven Hundred Performance Gaming Case XL-ATX
$29.99 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3
$84.99 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT SP1 DVD
$79.99 Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in
$89.99 XFX 750W PRO750W XXX Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 80PLUS Silver
$39.99 LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive
$29.99 A4 Tech by Azio V7 Wired Optical Gaming Mouse 3200PI USB
$229.99 XFX Radeon HD 7870 Core Ed. 1000MHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E
$139.99 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD990FX ATX AM3+ DDR3 4PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
Total: $1013.91

This is What I am currently building. Could be made for a cheaper price.

Marute December 31, 2012 03:00 AM

If you wan't to save 10$ on a case, the Corsair 200R is a nice simple case as well.
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Gaming Case ATX 3X5.25 4X3.5 Front USB3.0 Audio No PSU

I know it not much but in the end it adds up. Otherwise I actually really like your case.

Are you sure you need a 750W PSU? I'm quite sure it'll definitely leave you room for adding extra stuff later on, but perhaps it's too much of an overkill that could save you some money?

Masteroderus December 31, 2012 03:36 PM

I think solidcree has a solid build.

However, I would not go for the aftermarket cooler, and I would choose a different motherboard and save about 60 bucks.

The 990x and 990FX series motherboards are more enthusiast grade. The 970 series boards are really frekin' great for those that don't plan on running multiple video cards. They have a ton of sata 3 ports, and usb 3.0.

This is my fav 970 board, 6 sata 6gig ports and four usb3.0 ports. 99 bucks!
Asus M5A97 R2.0 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, USB 3.0, CrossFireX at Memory Express

Now for the bad news

If you go AMD your skyrim frame rates will suffer, even when comparing a fx8350 to an i5. No matter what video card solution you are running you'll be seeing a performance hit. If you want to run skyrim at wonderful settings you'll need to get yourself an I5.

Now here's the good news, there are some great current z77 and i5 bundles!!

275 dollars for z77 chipset + i5 :)
Intel Core? i5-3330 Processor w/ Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP Motherboard at Memory Express

JGWalrus January 1, 2013 07:32 PM

Thanks Solidcree I'll look into those parts.
ANd ya its the best simple looking case i can find plus a good name.

Masteroderus how much of a framerate are we talking about? remember I'll be using just one screen and I get about 19 fps on medium right now. So ANYTHING would be better than what I have. But i will look into it.

any other advice?

TheWildRose January 2, 2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGWalrus (Post 681480)
Thanks Solidcree I'll look into those parts.
ANd ya its the best simple looking case i can find plus a good name.

Masteroderus how much of a framerate are we talking about? remember I'll be using just one screen and I get about 19 fps on medium right now. So ANYTHING would be better than what I have. But i will look into it.

any other advice?

My advice:
The guy who said the FX would not get as high of framerate is correct, but as far as I can tell (I've looked up a few reviews) it isn't that bad. you're only looking at (at most) a 10fps difference.

Here's my advice/opinions on hardware, partly taken from the list the above poster made.
  • Motherboard: Go with an M5A97 R2. My friend has the board and it's great.
  • CPU: Go with an FX-6300, it isn't that much more money, but it's the newest CPU and has much better performance than the FX-6100.
  • RAM: I'd recommend going with Corsair (Vengeance), G.Skill, ADATA or Kingston RAM. 8GB (2x4GB) would be the perfect kit, And I'd go with 1600Mhz vs 1866, the performance for gaming is unnoticeable between 1600 and 1866mhz.
  • Case: There are better (And cheaper) cases that would do you well (Such as the NZXT Source 220, and NZXT M59) I don't know much about Antec cases, but I can tell you NZXT are very good.
  • The coolerMaster Hyper212 Evo is a very good choice for a CPU cooler, it will do much better than the stock heatsink that comes with the CPU.
  • Windows 7 is still a great choice for gaming, but keep in mind Windows 8 is only $10 more, but that's up to you, I PERSONALLY love Windows 8 and will be using it, A lot of people don't, though.
  • Hard drive: I would recommend staying AWAY from Seagate hard drives. They may be $10-$20 cheaper, but the price shows, I've dealt with MANY seagate drives, And I've had a lot of problems with them. I would recommend going with a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, or whatever size you prefer.
  • PSU: The XFX PSU mentioned above (PRO750W XXX edition) is a good choice, also any XFX, Corsair or Seasonic PSU is usually a good bet.
  • Optical drive: The Blu-Ray drive mentioned above is a good choice, but if you're not going to be dealing with Blu-Ray than an ASUS 24X DVD drive would save some money and still be a solid choice.
  • Mice and keyboards are completely your opinion, so you would probably be better off doing some research and picking your own.
  • Graphics: The 7870 and GTX 660 (non-ti) are both great choices.

If you have any questions or want advice on anything feel free to ask in a reply or PM me!
Hope I helped!

~Ryan

JGWalrus January 3, 2013 03:01 PM

Thanks for the advice wildrose. I'm pretty decided on the case. I like the looks, it fits were i plan on putting the pc too.
I found a review of the vishera cpus last night that used the same motherboard, ram, and the 6870.
AMD Piledriver FX Review - FX 8350, 8320, 6300 vs Intel Core i5 and i3
They got pretty decent figures for everything except Skyrim. Which really seems to favour Intel.
Other than that, i was thinking of uping to the 8350 just because. Do you guys think western digital drives are better than seagates? I have never had problems with seagate but heard others have.
We agree on the ram, os, psu and gpu at least. Ill look into that motherboard too. Thanks again guys!

TheWildRose January 4, 2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGWalrus (Post 681913)
Thanks for the advice wildrose. I'm pretty decided on the case. I like the looks, it fits were i plan on putting the pc too.
I found a review of the vishera cpus last night that used the same motherboard, ram, and the 6870.
AMD Piledriver FX Review - FX 8350, 8320, 6300 vs Intel Core i5 and i3
They got pretty decent figures for everything except Skyrim. Which really seems to favour Intel.
Other than that, i was thinking of uping to the 8350 just because. Do you guys think western digital drives are better than seagates? I have never had problems with seagate but heard others have.
We agree on the ram, os, psu and gpu at least. Ill look into that motherboard too. Thanks again guys!

No problem, And I can say from a lot of experience WD is better (Watch me say that as you get a DOA drive)
Seagates and samesungs are known to fail. I've never tried Hitachi, except for the travelstar that came with my laptop, so I can't say much. Other than that I'd recommend WD over seagate any day.

As you can see in the review the difference in Skyrim framerate is less than 10 on average, so the 6300 would be a good bet. The 8350 is a good choice as well, My friend has the 8150 and is very happy with it, And the 8350 is a HUGE improvement on the 8150 so you'd be set.

If you have any more questions or want my advice/opinion feel free to ask in a reply or PM me!

~Ryan