Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old December 25, 2012, 08:35 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Default Upgrade now or wait for next gen?

Hey guys,

I've had my X2 SLI 260 GTX machine for about 5 years and it's still going strong.
I'm really looking forward to getting a new rig and I have $2000 saved for that purpose.
Although I'm rather eager to start a new build, I was wondering wehther or not it'd be worth it to wait the next 4-3 months in order to get next generation CPU and GPUs. With rumors buzzing all over the place about nVidia's GK110, I'd hate to spend all this money on hardware that will be surpassed by 40% just a few months later.

What do you think?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old December 25, 2012, 08:45 AM
Fingercramps's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 39
Default

In my opinion I would say whats already on the market right now is more than enough for most applications. (Unless you want to do some heavy CPU intensive applications) Technology is outdated the day it comes out so to speak so really whatever you feel is right, go for it!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old December 25, 2012, 10:21 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Default

Then again there's never been a leap so big as rumors suggest.

I think I'll hang on just a tad longer before I get a new machine.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old December 25, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,361

My System Specs

Default

If you have been able to wait 5 years and your rig is still going strong. Why do your move now ?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old December 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,834

My System Specs

Default

There is always something new coming. If your rig is still fast enough for the time being, then wait for the new stuff. If its lacking just upgrade now.
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K@4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, MSI Cyclone GTX 460, Seasonic S12II 500W, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old December 25, 2012, 01:53 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
If you have been able to wait 5 years and your rig is still going strong. Why do your move now ?
I've had a few BSODs revolving nvaddkm lately.
I suspect it's my PSU as cards. mem and cpu turned out fine.
I'm DYING to go back to play FC3 and AC3 as they both keep crashing big time after a few minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old December 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,834

My System Specs

Default

Did you try running the computer with just one graphics card at a time? Will lighten the load on the psu.
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K@4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, MSI Cyclone GTX 460, Seasonic S12II 500W, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2012, 02:45 AM
OpTioN's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 61
Default

i would upgrade now... a 680 and 3570k should be more than enough for now... i doubt haswell will be THAT big of an upgrade... maybe 5 or 10 fps at most? but you should have no problems maxing out most games.. plus you should be able to get another 680 for pretty cheap once the new gfx cards come out if you are having trouble maxing a game out for some reason..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2012, 03:12 AM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 560
Default

where on earth are you hearing about 40%? there is no reason to expect haswell to be more than 10%-15%.....i'm going to make the sensible assumption you weren't talking about iGPU performance
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2012, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,834

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
where on earth are you hearing about 40%? there is no reason to expect haswell to be more than 10%-15%.....i'm going to make the sensible assumption you weren't talking about iGPU performance
The rumours are for possible nvidia graphics cards. Even if it sees the light of day you will pay a pretty penny for it.
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K@4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, MSI Cyclone GTX 460, Seasonic S12II 500W, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade to IB or wait for Haswell? GT7R New Builds 20 April 26, 2012 05:25 PM
Upgrade or wait? Justin Cider Video Cards 8 March 8, 2011 11:31 AM
upgrade 5870 or wait ? JerryZ Video Cards 9 October 25, 2010 11:27 AM
Wait to upgrade? RBA Video Cards 18 March 17, 2010 08:44 AM
Upgrade now or wait for Nehalem? Infiniti Off Topic 9 October 16, 2008 09:30 PM