Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Upgrade now or wait for next gen? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/58712-upgrade-now-wait-next-gen.html)

RPechenG December 25, 2012 08:35 AM

Upgrade now or wait for next gen?

Hey guys,

I've had my X2 SLI 260 GTX machine for about 5 years and it's still going strong.
I'm really looking forward to getting a new rig and I have $2000 saved for that purpose.
Although I'm rather eager to start a new build, I was wondering wehther or not it'd be worth it to wait the next 4-3 months in order to get next generation CPU and GPUs. With rumors buzzing all over the place about nVidia's GK110, I'd hate to spend all this money on hardware that will be surpassed by 40% just a few months later.

What do you think?

Thanks

Fingercramps December 25, 2012 08:45 AM

In my opinion I would say whats already on the market right now is more than enough for most applications. (Unless you want to do some heavy CPU intensive applications) Technology is outdated the day it comes out so to speak so really whatever you feel is right, go for it!

RPechenG December 25, 2012 10:21 AM

Then again there's never been a leap so big as rumors suggest.

I think I'll hang on just a tad longer before I get a new machine.

Kilauea December 25, 2012 12:33 PM

If you have been able to wait 5 years and your rig is still going strong. Why do your move now ?

Bond007 December 25, 2012 01:44 PM

There is always something new coming. If your rig is still fast enough for the time being, then wait for the new stuff. If its lacking just upgrade now.

RPechenG December 25, 2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilauea (Post 680148)
If you have been able to wait 5 years and your rig is still going strong. Why do your move now ?

I've had a few BSODs revolving nvaddkm lately.
I suspect it's my PSU as cards. mem and cpu turned out fine.
I'm DYING to go back to play FC3 and AC3 as they both keep crashing big time after a few minutes.

Bond007 December 25, 2012 02:25 PM

Did you try running the computer with just one graphics card at a time? Will lighten the load on the psu.

OpTioN December 27, 2012 02:45 AM

i would upgrade now... a 680 and 3570k should be more than enough for now... i doubt haswell will be THAT big of an upgrade... maybe 5 or 10 fps at most? but you should have no problems maxing out most games.. plus you should be able to get another 680 for pretty cheap once the new gfx cards come out if you are having trouble maxing a game out for some reason..

Generic User #2 December 27, 2012 03:12 AM

where on earth are you hearing about 40%? there is no reason to expect haswell to be more than 10%-15%.....i'm going to make the sensible assumption you weren't talking about iGPU performance

Bond007 December 27, 2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Generic User #2 (Post 680436)
where on earth are you hearing about 40%? there is no reason to expect haswell to be more than 10%-15%.....i'm going to make the sensible assumption you weren't talking about iGPU performance

The rumours are for possible nvidia graphics cards. Even if it sees the light of day you will pay a pretty penny for it.