Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
Rookie

Default New triple monitor build.

Dear experts,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help/guide me with my first build. First of all i would like to say that i don't think i have ever seen a forum where there are so many helpful members as i have read from other posts.

***before i start with the build i would also like to ask... if i decide to hackindosh my pc does it require special hardware or are all compatible (gfx cards etc)

now onto my pc... I am looking to build a three monitor pc. I defo need 2 monitors for work so i thought why not 3x 24" for gaming on all three.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
-Work (not very cpu consuming), emails, surfing the web and gaming (on all three monitors)

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-2000-2400 usd

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
-Greece (i have access to buy parts from the UK and the US so you can guide me to whichever u want.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
- bit curious if i should get 1 expensive gfx card so i can add at a later date another one.
but not special preferences/ although i am a minimalistic at heart.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-all new.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-i have read other threads but have not found one with my budget and monitor requirements

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-i have no idea how to overclock so i guess the answer is no.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
within the next 10-20 days

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
-i would love to game on three monitors on the highest resolution i can. obviously within my budget.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-As i said i would like a 3 monitor setup for gaming on all three, very minimal case/monitor design, wifi, ssd for operating system and 2TB for files, low noise system if posible.

Any recommendation/guides are most welcomed.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:44 PM
Allstar

If you want a hackintosh you will be narrowing your parts down a bit. This site will be a good place to double check any advice you get. You are pretty much a intel build(i7 3770 for this budget) no matter what because of this requirement.

Hackintosh Instructions, Hackintosh How To Guides @ Hackintosh.com

As for three screen gaming I think you have also honestly pegged yourself into your graphic cards as well. 2 7970's is pretty much where you will end up if you are going to game on three screens.

I personally would also look at a VM package as well with the hackintosh to run OSX in, and 32GB of RAM as well if you go this route. Gskills tend to be one of the best priced units out there.

That kind of build should leave ~$250 a piece for your screens, Samsung personally have some of the smallest bezels I have seen in screens that I personally like.

I have no idea what prices are like in Greece or what stores are better to buy from so my advice is somewhat vague over a linked list. But this is all info that I have learned from my 3 screen setup. When I first built I used two mid range cards thinking they would be enough and they just didn't have enough umph nor was a single high end card. I work within different OS environments all day and a VM setup vs a dual boot setup is personally the way to go if you can get away with it.
Old December 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I personally would also look at a VM package as well with the hackintosh to run OSX in, and 32GB of RAM as well if you go this route. Gskills tend to be one of the best priced units out there.
Trying to run OSX through a VM on a windows machine can be a PITA. If you'd like to run both, you're better off building a OSX compatible system then running Windows off a VM.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:20 PM
Allstar

Problem is he wants to game, windows is really the only real option right now. if he sticks to an intel and uses vmware+a simple mod I know its possible(prob works with other VM software but I am a vmware person). its even possible with an amd but that's a pain of the ass!
Old December 25, 2012, 11:17 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

tonymacx86 Blog: CustoMac

Have a look at the CustoMac Pro suggested build. If you use the lesser expensive parts and a GTX 670, you ought to be alright. Since it sounds like you haven't done too many builds before, I am going to do a full lineup later when I have the time. Good Luck!
Old December 25, 2012, 06:25 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default My Lineup (Revised)

CASE: Newegg.com - Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case $80

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770 $300

MOBO: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $190

RAM: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 $77

GPU: Newegg.com - Galaxy 66NNH7DV6WXZ GeForce GTX 660 Ti GC 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $640 (2 3GB 660Ti's)

SSD:Newegg.com - SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $111

HDD:Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $110

PSU:Newegg.com - SeaSonic M12II 750 SS-750AM 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply $120

ODD: Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - CD / DVD Burners $19

WIFI: Newegg.com - TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless N900 Dual Band PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n,WEP, WPA/WPA2 $37

MONITORS: Newegg.com - Acer S231HLbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI LED-Backlight LCD monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 ACM 12,000,000:1 (1000:1) $477 (3)

Last edited by concinnity; December 26, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You're not really going to want to run a single GPU for 3 monitor gaming, you'll end up getting relatively low-ish frame rates or will have to turn down the detailing as you're taking a single GPU almost 3 times as much as you would be a single monitor (gaming)
Old December 26, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ditch the Gigabyte MB and go with Asus. Also, go with a bigger SSD.

If you're going to do triple screen gaming then get a second 670, or have choppy crappy looking games.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
You're not really going to want to run a single GPU for 3 monitor gaming, you'll end up getting relatively low-ish frame rates or will have to turn down the detailing as you're taking a single GPU almost 3 times as much as you would be a single monitor (gaming)
^^^Agree. Single GPU gaming is a no go on three monitors.

I can't really comment on parts from your area, but for a basis you will definitely want i7 3770k, Z77 based motherboard with the features you want, 16gb ram, a quality 850w power supply, and two hd7950 or gtx 670 (depending on pricing in your area).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old December 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
ditch the Gigabyte MB and go with Asus. Also, go with a bigger SSD.

If you're going to do triple screen gaming then get a second 670, or have choppy crappy looking games.
You're right, two 3GB 660Ti's would be better (look in my lineup). He wants to run Mountian Lion (OS11?) Gigabyte boards have native audio, networking, and power management support. It can be done with other boards, but it's the easiest with Gigabyte. If you want something a little more high end, try this: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with Dual Thunderbolt

Tags
new build , three monitor