Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   home server (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/58617-home-server.html)

peekeesh December 18, 2012 06:08 PM

home server

Hello,

I hope you can help me out. I have a 3 year old acer revo 1600 which I use as home server. I decided to replace it with a much more powerful unit. I already have the CPU which is i7-3770k so i need more ideas on the remaining parts. I plan to spend $200-300 for the remaining parts (Case, PSU, Mobo and Memory).

I'll be using Plex Media Server, iSpy, Yawcam, Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop. No gaming. How much memory will I need? 8 or 16 gig?

Also, what PSU (150w or 200w) should I get? i've listed the parts I have in mind to determine the recommended PSU wattage:

> i7 3770k will not be overclocked for now, might get a 3rd party cooler.
> Gigabyte LGA 1155 DDR3 1600 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Motherboard GA-Z77N-WIFI but any recommendations are welcome.
> Corsair, Kingston or whatever
> 1 or 2 HDISK
> 1 to 2 fans

Thanks in advance!

moocow December 18, 2012 07:13 PM

How often do you use Photoshop? I would go with 16GB because it's not that expensive these days but you need to refer to the qualified RAM list for whichever motherboard you're picking. If you don't intend to use any kind of discrete GPU, I think 450w should be enough. As for case, personally, I would go with Prodigy because there's room to upgrade to a long GPU or enough room for a 4 HDD RAID setup (if you are using short GPU or onboard GPU). However, mITX parts may cost a bit more than mATX and you're limited to how big the 3rd party CPU cooler can be.

As for storage, I would go with SSD for OS and software and a regular HDD for downloads and Photoshop scratch drive.

peekeesh December 18, 2012 09:22 PM

Thanks for the reply Moocow.

I don't use photoshop that often as Adobe Lightroom is what I mostly use to edit photos. I'll check gigabyte website to see which memory is supported/qualified and go from there.

You are also correct that I will not use discrete GPU as I want to lower the power consumption as much as possible.

As for hdisk configuration, I have an old desktop where I backup all the precious photos to so I'll not do RAID set up yet. but it's something i'd do down the road.

peekeesh December 20, 2012 10:05 AM

don't you think a 250w PSU would be enough to run the system?

concinnity December 21, 2012 07:19 AM

Although 250W would probably run it fine, I'd go with something like a 450W, just to have overhead in the event of an upgrade, should you ever decide to throw a GPU in it.

moocow December 21, 2012 04:55 PM

I was waiting for a more knowledgeable person to reply but since no one else answer I'll take another stab at this. You will be hard press to find a standard ATX sized PSU at that low of a power range, all tho I did find one on Newegg. If you intend to run some kind of RAID in the future, I personally don't believe 250W is enough. For example, if you get a mATX board with 6 SATA port and decide to max it out or get more add-in cards. If you're worry about the amount of power it draws, I suggest you look into a 80+ rated PSU of a reputable brand instead.

peekeesh December 22, 2012 07:30 PM

I actually wanted to build a small rig and was thinking of using a picopsu:

picoPSU-160-XT with 192W Adapter Power Kit

Based on your statement, it seems that pico wont be enough for this build. What do you think?

Appreciate your response by the way..

concinnity December 25, 2012 03:43 PM

That'd be risky, especially if you are going to be running multiple drives. You're probably better off with a mATX system, maintains a relatively small form factor, and has room for a GPU and RAID card should you ever decide to go that route. Pick up a Lian Li box, they're beautiful and great for HTPC's (among other things). Send me a PM or reply if you would like me to do a full build on whatever your budget is. I'd be happy to help!

peekeesh December 26, 2012 11:32 AM

^^ Thank you for the reply and for your offer.

I have an old desktop (lanparty p45-t2rs jr with e8400) that I will no longer use after I build this home server. So I'll just recycle the PSU, a CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W, from that PC.

As for the case, I agree that Lian-li is a nice looking case. I might get the LIAN LI PC-Q07 as it accepts ATX power supply.