Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2012, 06:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

@ Rollergold, I want to keep my initial costs as low as possible without being trapped into an 'I shoulda but didn't' scenario. So I will probably go the 670 now 670 later route. Thanks for the advise with regards to the MSI PE and voltage issue. I was unaware of it. Also, there was a bit of confusion with AkG's recommendation. He said to go for the HE (2D version) of the monitor when he actually meant the H (3D) version. So that monitor stays.

@ binary Common agent,

I have heard this complaint on several OC forums as well. I can only surmise it has an effect on communications...er wait, incoming transmission...

6 of 8 posted this. Not as magnetic as 7 of 9 but I trust the information to be coherent.

Quote:
In general many people have found that (2) DIMMs are easier to OC higher than (4) DIMMs but there is no guarantee. Some mobos restrict OC'ing of the RAM when all DIMM slots are filled. Thus if you have a choice and the price is similar (2) DIMMs tend to have better "potential" for OC'ing.
It appears after preliminary data has been assimilated that the motherboard plays more of a key role in OC potential than the CPU when using four DIMMs rather than two.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; December 20, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old December 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As far as OC'ing goes with all DIMM Slots full, it's all about the Memory Controller within your CPU.
Also, if your really planning on 3D gaming, spend a tad more get the 680 vs the 670!!
Be warned as well most oft friends that have played with 3D gaming hated it (fvcks with your eyes, causes headaches (migraines if your prone to them) and requires top end Hardware to run half decent, as in Max OC on your CPU, top end Multi GPU's and the PSU to run everything.

Old December 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Be warned as well most oft friends that have played with 3D gaming hated it (fvcks with your eyes, causes headaches (migraines if your prone to them) and requires top end Hardware to run half decent, as in Max OC on your CPU, top end Multi GPU's and the PSU to run everything.
+1...tried it once and its not for me. Same goes for polarized 3D movies. Both give me headaches.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm not prone to headaches so I hope I will not have issues with it. But I read that was more of an issue with the first iteration of 3D vision rather than 3D vision 2.

Quote:
Also, if your really planning on 3D gaming, spend a tad more get the 680 vs the 670!!
Even if the 670=680?
Old December 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Even if the 670=680?
There not = '

The 680 is the superior Card (sure the 670 maybe "close" but its not as good as the 680, as in higher CUDA Cores and in some cases higher Clock speeds resulting in faster Memory Bandwidth), for 3D Gaming I wouldn't play around trying to save $60 - $80 on a GPU, also find one with decent Cooling. If I were to go to the 680 from my 580 Classified I would lean towards the Evga 680 Classified as it is Stock with a 90mm Fan (keeps my 580 Classy damn cool, easily the coolest running GPU's I've ever owned)

Old December 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
+1...tried it once and its not for me. Same goes for polarized 3D movies. Both give me headaches.
Yeah I tried it for all of 10 min and hated it, would rather play on a larger UHD Monitor in 2D

Old December 20, 2012, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
There not = '

The 680 is the superior Card (sure the 670 maybe "close" but its not as good as the 680, as in higher CUDA Cores and in some cases higher Clock speeds resulting in faster Memory Bandwidth), for 3D Gaming I wouldn't play around trying to save $60 - $80 on a GPU, also find one with decent Cooling. If I were to go to the 680 from my 580 Classified I would lean towards the Evga 680 Classified as it is Stock with a 90mm Fan (keeps my 580 Classy damn cool, easily the coolest running GPU's I've ever owned)
Appreciate the info. But I really don't think the 680's performance is really worth the extra cash. 670's in SLi=690. Not just that but it's also cooler, uses less power and ~$200.00 less than 680 SLi.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; December 20, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old December 20, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ No worries..btw 670 SLi = 690 means nothing, as a 690 isnt 680 SLi .....enjoy your new Rig and Post pics when your done. ;)

Old December 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That's true RJbarker. I'm just trying to keep costs down where I can. I'm even going to forgo the 4GB versions of the 670's. Hope I don't regret that. So many variables.

On a side note, I'm in love.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Thats look like a great Case, although I am Biase towards my own Silverstone TJ09 ;)
Another awesome Case that is reasonably priced and under-rated is the Coolermaster 690 Advanced, I git the one for my wifes Rig on sale for $70, presently its loaded up with an Evga X58 Mobo, Intel 920 @ 4Ghz, 560 ti SLi, tons of room and great cooling for a Mid Tower.