Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2012, 11:11 PM
Rookie

Post First PC gaming pc build 1600 or less

Hey Guys,
I want to build my first gaming pc for this christmas, I have a bit of knowledge about pc components. I want to make a pc that can smash any game I trow at it on a single monitor but still have room for future-proofing ( If I want to get a x3 monitor setup) I have found a few products that I want to use but have not found a motherboard yet. I also may want to water-cool in the future that is why I went with the NZXT switch 810.

CPU - i5 3570k
GPU - Sapphire vapor-x ghz 7970 3gb (I want to go with Ati because of the 3 games that comes with it, And I like Sapphire as a brand.)
Mobo - I don't know :( suggestions?
PSU - ax 760i (I like the all black look to the cables and thats is fully modular)
RAM - Kingston Hyperx beast 8gb
Cooler - cm hyper 212 evo
SSD - ocz vector 128gb
HDD - 1tb wd black

I want to mainly get the components from newegg.com
Old December 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

1600 is a very nice budget I would consider getting reference 7970(s) or 7950 (s)

gigabyte z77x-ud5h is great as a board, Mpower is also good. if you want to safe a few bucks on mobo go ASrock but I personally like MSI / Asus / gigabyte products better.

As for video card go with either 2x 7950, 2x 7970 or 1x 7970 lighting / vapor-x / matrix. I would personally take the matrix but no waterblock is out for it yet, the lightning has a waterblock made for it.

performance wise i believe that since there is no specific block for vapor-x not sure if its reference board under the cooler but if it's reference then it will not be as nice as lightning / matrix in terms of overclocking performance. The 6g vapor-x looks tasty though. Never looked much into sapphire cards always been gigabyte / msi / asus fan.

7950s are almost the performance of 7970s with the same memory interface so you can save a large amount of money by going with those (or 1) let me know if you crossfire and are going to sell the other set of 3 games ;)

As for PSU if you're going to spend 1600 on a computer may as well get the perm components taken care of proper, grab a seasonic 1000w or something else comparable, you may want to xfire (now or in the future) and that needs a steady power supply.

As for ram I would suggest going for g skill if you want cheaper good ram or corsair doms if you want to go all out... god i want some doms for my build now ._.

If you do plan on x-firing it might be worth it to consider getting the 3770k as opposed to the 3570k everything else on your build looks just fine to me if you need watercooling advice let me know.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:36 AM
Rookie

Thank you very much for your advice, just one question about the graphic cards if I get 2x7950's what card would you recommend that are easily overclockable and can have waterblocks which I think xfx dd, sapphire and powercooler have. Also If the system gets a bit pricy should I change the ssd? because the vector just came out and is $160.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your choices listed are excellent. I would stick with a quality heat sink on the graphics card like the one you selected(though I would probably go to the Asus model) and am not a water cooling person. I vote to stay with the single 7970 and build the computer. It should be more than powerful enough, but you have the option to x-fire down the road. The power supply is great, but if you think you may x-fire I would go up to 850w range psu, and if you will not x-fire then you can go down to 650w range if you like. The jump to a 3770k is in you budget, but if its solely a gaming rig stay with the 3570k.

As for the motherboard I am biased to Asus, and would get the z77 based Asus board with whatever features you want/ need.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

as for 7950s i would take any reference design really they overclock great regardless and with watercooling reference cards are easiest to buy for (all manufacturers will make reference cards).

If you want better 7950s gigabyte windforce cards TEND to overclock better from what i've seen XFX is good as well.

With the switch 810 you also have the option of going universal gpu blocks since the airflow is good enough to just stick some heatsinks on the mem / vrms. In which case go with whichever card you like (reference or not) if you choose to go that route I never found full coverage blocks "essential" or even necessary as long as you have good airflow.

Keep in mind with every card you're playing the silicone lottery and even with the "best card available" you're only guaranteed what is written on the box so I personally would take 2 reference cards ( they are more than powerful enough for anything you can throw at them in the next while)
Old December 17, 2012, 03:04 PM
Rookie

I think I might just go with one 7970 and then when the prices drop I can get a second because that will be when I need it. Is there a better bang for buck heatsink than the one I selected?
Old December 17, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think your heatsink is one of the best bang for the buck around.