Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Need advice on new PC purchase. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/58474-need-advice-new-pc-purchase.html)

FMS20 December 11, 2012 10:00 AM

Need advice on new PC purchase.

Hello everyone,

I am planning on buying a custom built PC from ncix.ca. I have made a few customizations to one of the PC's that they offer and I would love some feedback as this is my first time buying a PC. I plan to use this for gaming and HD video editing. I will list the parts of the default build and then the changes I have made. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Vesta i7 5800 SLI
Intel Core i7 3770K Processor - changed to i5 3570k (I did this to cut cost and I heard the i7 is not necessary)
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling - changed to H60 (I read somewhere that the H100 doesnt fit will in the antec 1200 also I don't plan on overclocking anytime soon)
Corsair Vengeance C70 case - changed to antec 1200 case (I don't like the look of the C70)
8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM - no change
ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II Graphics - changed to 670 (to cut cost)
120GB Corsair Neutron GTX SSD - no change
2TB Seagate 7200RPM Storage Drive - no change
24x ASUS DVD/CD Writer - no change
750W Corsair HX Series PSU - no change

Thank you kindly

dandelioneater December 11, 2012 10:09 AM

I think that the changes you have selected are good. It will give you a bit more bang for your buck without really changing the performance of the system. The ssd is a good one, 670 and 3570K are a great combination for gaming. What's the price of the vesta system? You should consider buying the parts yourself on their site and then select the option for NCIX to assemble the system (50 bucks i think). It may save you a buck or two for basically the same thing.

moocow December 11, 2012 10:31 AM

I have zero experience with HD video editing but wouldn't those kind of software benefit from more cores and more RAM? If you only edit videos for fun, I think i5 should be enough. Also, have you tried order from their weekly sales and then pay them $50 to assemble instead? That's what I did for my friend and it's a bit more flexible then using their pre-build configuration. What is your budget?

I would change the following:

* Remove water cooling completely until you want to OC.
* Antec 1200 seem to be overkill
* Go up to 16 GB of RAM
* Go up to 240GB SSD if you can afford it
* Switch to Corsair 200R to save money? Not the best cooling case but you aren't running that many HDD.

FMS20 December 11, 2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandelioneater (Post 677142)
I think that the changes you have selected are good. It will give you a bit more bang for your buck without really changing the performance of the system. The ssd is a good one, 670 and 3570K are a great combination for gaming. What's the price of the vesta system? You should consider buying the parts yourself on their site and then select the option for NCIX to assemble the system (50 bucks i think). It may save you a buck or two for basically the same thing.

Thanks for your input. I will look into buying the parts and having them assemble it. I think they are roughly the same price.

FMS20 December 11, 2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moocow (Post 677150)
I have zero experience with HD video editing but wouldn't those kind of software benefit from more cores and more RAM? If you only edit videos for fun, I think i5 should be enough. Also, have you tried order from their weekly sales and then pay them $50 to assemble instead? That's what I did for my friend and it's a bit more flexible then using their pre-build configuration. What is your budget?

I would change the following:

* Remove water cooling completely until you want to OC.
* Antec 1200 seem to be overkill
* Go up to 16 GB of RAM
* Go up to 240GB SSD if you can afford it
* Switch to Corsair 200R to save money? Not the best cooling case but you aren't running that many HDD.

I should have worded my original post differently. I am mostly going to be video editing for fun. For the most part, this will be for gaming. If I am going to be focused on gaming is 16GB really necessary? I will definitely look into the weekly sales.

Thanks for your input.

tethlah December 11, 2012 10:59 AM

What program do you use for editing?

FMS20 December 11, 2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tethlah (Post 677167)
What program do you use for editing?

I have no experience in editing what so ever. It is just something I've always wanted to get into but never had the money. This PC will be for gaming primarily but I definitely want at least have the ability to do basic editing, just as a hobby sort of thing.

Thanks

Also... What program would you suggest for someone completely new to editing.

tethlah December 11, 2012 02:14 PM

For PC, I'd suggest going with a full Adobe Suite. It'll suit your needs for recreational development. Plus you will have some fun with being able to do some decent audio editing as well. Plus Adobe makes good use of CUDA.