Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2012, 08:27 AM
Rookie

Default New Build - Need Input

The system I am working on will be a Workstation/Gaming Rig (Basically a one size fits all type) I codenamed it "Overkill" Since it's exactly that. It's overkill, but I've never been one to go for good enough.

Specs:

Case: HAF 932 Full Tower
MB: LGA 2011 ASUS Maximus V Extreme
GPU: x2 680s
CPU: 3930k (Decided not to do extreme edition for the simple fact there really isnt that much to gain for another 500 Dollars)
RAM: 64 Gigs of G.Skill Ripjaws
Storage: 512GB OCZ Vector SSD/ WD Red 2TB Drive
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX

I'll add the peripherals later if requested. Anything you might want to add to this i'll take into consideration.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:36 AM
Top Prospect

Sound's cool. The LGA 2011 definitely is overkill lol. What have you estimated as total cost?

Personally, I'd get another WD Red and mirror it so you don't have to worry about loosing your data. But that's just how I roll.

Air or liquid?
Old December 11, 2012, 09:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethlah View Post
Sound's cool. The LGA 2011 definitely is overkill lol. What have you estimated as total cost?

Personally, I'd get another WD Red and mirror it so you don't have to worry about loosing your data. But that's just how I roll.

Air or liquid?
Gonna be water cooling it, i'm most likely gonna get another WD Red Drive, only reason I'm using that drive is for the color scheme. LGA 2011 is overkill but i will be putting it to good use, plus I was kinda sad that no one has made an overkill rig in quite some time for the "Just cuz" factor. The estimated cost for the system itself is gonna cost about 3k-4k peripherals including new monitors, keyboard, mouse (I'm really sticking to the color scheme hence why so many new peripherals) it brings it to about 5k which is what i've saved for a long time for this very project. I'm hoping by the New Year I'll be able to complete everything else I have planned for it. (Pictures and the setup as a whole will be posted soon)
Old December 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
Top Prospect

You gotta put that TVirus res in there ;)

I'm using it for my build, but if you use a red one, that would be sweet, I'm surprised I haven't seen more builds use it.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethlah View Post
You gotta put that TVirus res in there ;)

I'm using it for my build, but if you use a red one, that would be sweet, I'm surprised I haven't seen more builds use it.
Though I might go with a controller panel and a beastly heatsink to up the badass factor instead of Watercooling it :)