Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2012, 10:55 PM
Allstar

nope. He's completely fine on 1080p resolutions. even managed to play starcraft 2 between 90-120fps on 1440p. I'm most definitely not the only who will say this.

owner of a gtx 660 ti.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:06 AM
Rookie

Also as I already said, the drop to the 660TI was to save cash and it saved me about $120 minimum. Also, its already in my possession so there is no turning back. If I had the cash, I would have gone for the 670. And actually if I had understood crossfire vs sli better I probably would have considered AMD a bit harder on the graphics side of things; the whole different vs. identical cards thing.

Last night I picked up the new case, and got it opened up. Installed the power supply, SSD, HD, and DVD. I will tell you one thing, that case is sturdy. I haven't built a system in a number of years but I was very very impressed with the quality of the panels etc. I think the last time I built it was when Aluminium cases were a hot new item or something, flimsy pos. Also glad to go no window this time. Windows are a young mans game in my opinion.

Also this was my first time intalling an SSD, I knew they were small but I was honestly not prepared for how small they are, wow.
Tonight its going to be the fun stuff, mounting the new cooler, mounting the motherboard, cable routing etc.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You'll find building in a 'new' generation case to be miles ahead of building in a case that's 5 years or older. From the 'tooless' design, to the way the cables are routed, everything is just so much easier to work with, and a pleasure to put everything together. Of course, price = experience. I built my main rig in a Coolermaster 690II Advanced, which is a $120 case. I then built my son's rig in a Bitfenix Shinobi, which is a $70 case. While the two cases technically had similar features (tooless drive bays, hidden cable management, etc) the Coolermaster just seemed better thought out and used better materials (thicker metal, so less flimsy, for example). When it comes to cases, you get what you pay for. While <$100 cases can be feature rich, the experience of building in a >$100 case just seems 'nicer'.

EDIT: Also, it looks like you made the right choice when it comes to picking the GTX660Ti over the 7950.
Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 660 Ti revisited - The Tech Report - Page 1

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; December 5, 2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:43 AM
Rookie

Very interesting report Abyss, very interesting.

Anyway update time. Tuesday Night I set about doing some initial prep work on the system. Unboxing the case, installing the drives etc.

Last night everything came together. I started by mounting the H60 cooler on the board using 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean and then Arctic Silver 5 as thermal. I wanted to use Ceramique or Ceramique2 but there isn't any in Edmonton it seems. Then I pretty much installed and connected everything. The night ended with me hooking it up to my big screen tv via hdmi and testing a start up. Good news, I didn't F anything up and it starts fine and sounds great.

Well I F'ed one thing up, I forgot to put the I/O shield plate thing in before mounting the Motherboard, so now I will look for a way to mount it WITHOUT having to unmount the motherboard, yeah Im lazy like that, wanna fight about it?

Anyway, tonight hopefully I will get Win7 installed. As you can see in the photos, I am a cable management noob, so I think I need to work on the cleanliness of my cables a bit, mostly I need more zip ties to replace the twist ties that are in there and to add to the sturdiness of the cable bundles. Ended up fighting a bit with the length of certain cables, may not be picture perfect even in the end, but no window no cry, as long as the cables are secure and not all over the place I am fine with it.

Some of you might notice that I have the H60 pushing exhaust instead of the recommended pushing intake. Well heres the deal. The case currently has 3 fans. The one on the H60 and the two in the front of the case. I am a big believer in positive pressure, and so having the H60 as intake would mean turning the two front fans around to exhaust. That would be neg pressure and leaving those 2 as intake would hurt the rad performance as the fan would be fighting to push air into a high pressure area.
The truth is that I mean to replace the stock H60 fan with 2 better replacements, in fact I bought fans already, except that while looking for fans I was thinking two things;1: 2x120mm fans for the H60, pwm 2: 1x140mm fan for exhaust at the top of the case. I ended up walking away from the store with 2x140mm PWM fans, albeit great ones (thermalright TY-140's) Anyway, I have to take those back and get replacements but I am thinking of seeing how she performs and sounds with what I have installed now.

The other thing I still need to get is a way to connect to the internet. Normally I would want a wired connection but wiring to the final location of my rig will be very tough. It will be on the second floor in a totally finished home. So Wireless it is. Powerline would be nice but its pricey and not sure on how good it is.
So this is where it sits, and hopefully by Friday Night it will be up and running fully.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:26 PM
Rookie

Help, windows 7 is being a Jack ass, please see here
Problems installing Windows 7, brand new machine