Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Some changes in my plans, help me choose a mobo (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/58225-some-changes-my-plans-help-me-choose-mobo.html)

Kingsix November 30, 2012 06:18 PM

Some changes in my plans, help me choose a mobo

So I was planning on doing a sff gaming build, but I have decided to go ATX instead. Going to go with the Fractal Design - Define R4 case.

Anyway the reason I am switching is that I want to look at saving a bit of cash to keep the wife happy. I will be going with the intel i5 3570k, already have the corsair H60 cooler. I need some insight into the various mobos that I am looking at.
Cost cutting measure include cheaper mobo, 128GB SSD instead of 240, Gigabyte 660TI OC, instead of 670 OC.
Going full ATX so adding an SLI 660TI OC in the future will be easier, so obviously SLI is a must.

The options I am looking at (must buy from Memory Express)
Gigabyte GA-Z77x-3dh
Asus P8Z77 models LX, LE Plus
MSI Z77A-GD65

I would prefer to keep the mobo cost down somewhere around the $150 mark, but if 20 more dollars is going to get me something worthwhile then I would do that.

What are your thoughts?

Kingsix November 30, 2012 06:41 PM

Ok, so I am thinking that the P8Z77-V LK is out of the running, its missing some pretty good stuff to drop that 25 bucks.

From my most recent reviews I think my train of thought is probably correct, the best value is probably the Gigabye GA-Z77X-3dH, but if you think I am wrong please tell me why.

Entilza November 30, 2012 07:16 PM

The LK is good, the LX is the one you don't want since it doesn't overclock...

botat29 November 30, 2012 07:46 PM

of course I will get the MSI Z77A-GD65 , it's not in the same class

you also have the MSI Z77A-G45 with onboard THX

Newegg.ca - MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

MSI have one of the best ( if not the best ) RMA service in Canada

Kingsix December 1, 2012 08:52 AM

Can you verify that the G45 does indeed support SLI?
Weirdly listed as 3 way crossfire, doesn't mention SLI but SLI is clearly on the PCB in the pictures etc.

Soullessone21 December 1, 2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsix (Post 674707)
Weirdly listed as 3 way crossfire, doesn't mention SLI but SLI is clearly on the PCB in the pictures etc.

usually going to the site of the board is your best bet
MSI Global ? Mainboard - Z77A-G45
hey look at that just like almost every z77 its sli and crossfire who would of thunk it :P but go with msi best boards these days by far

botat29 December 1, 2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsix (Post 674707)

yes it support SLI and 2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots :thumb:

HoserEh December 1, 2012 07:09 PM

Just bought MSI g45 awesome board yet to OC but runs like a dream

dandelioneater December 1, 2012 07:11 PM

ASUS or MSI are at the top of my l ist these days.

Dzzope December 1, 2012 08:55 PM

I know you've already bought but I have to say my initial experience with ASRock have been very good.

Built a 3570k on an Extreme4 and nary a problem to be found.. All was smooth and easy, Bios is very well laid out and has good options / features and If I recall right it's cheaper than all the above.
Not had a need to deal with RMA though.