Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Conflicted and in need of opinions (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/58075-conflicted-need-opinions.html)

n3rrd November 24, 2012 08:05 AM

Conflicted and in need of opinions

I recently decided it was time to upgrade from my current system (Q6600, 4GB of RAM, HD5750). My video requirements aren't as high as they once were and I was hoping to move to an Ivy Bridge system with HD4000 graphics.

My monitor is an issue. As far as I understand, none of the on-board DVI ports will support a resolution greater than 1920x1080. I have a Dell 3007WFP with a resolution of 2560x1600 and only DVI as an input option.

If on-board DisplayPort supports my resolution, my options seem to be:

- get a dedicated video card with Dual-link DVI
- get a motherboard with on-board DP + an active DP adapter
- sell my monitor and get something with a DP input (would probably end up with a 24" instead).

Any opinions?

ZZLEE November 24, 2012 08:22 AM

What you doing Photo Shop or something then a dedicated 500 Nividia card. 550 Ti is close to 100 $ so not to much.

How do you plan to use the computer ?

bliz November 24, 2012 08:34 AM

Quite all the video cards have dual link DVI now.depends on your 3D requirements.

Soultribunal November 24, 2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rrd (Post 673078)
I recently decided it was time to upgrade from my current system (Q6600, 4GB of RAM, HD5750). My video requirements aren't as high as they once were and I was hoping to move to an Ivy Bridge system with HD4000 graphics.

My monitor is an issue. As far as I understand, none of the on-board DVI ports will support a resolution greater than 1920x1080. I have a Dell 3007WFP with a resolution of 2560x1600 and only DVI as an input option.

If on-board DisplayPort supports my resolution, my options seem to be:

- get a dedicated video card with Dual-link DVI
- get a motherboard with on-board DP + an active DP adapter
- sell my monitor and get something with a DP input (would probably end up with a 24" instead).

Any opinions?

What exactally are you doing with your system? If it is gaming you will need something high end to run that res, if its something else then you can scale back getting a high end GPU to something more practical.

IMHO - I would just get something with dedicated DVI like a 650TI if it is non-gaming and be done with it. Discrete GPU are still greater than onboard.

-ST

bliz November 24, 2012 10:16 AM

Yeah, even my GT 640 has got a dual link DVI...super cheap

n3rrd November 24, 2012 11:24 AM

I no longer game and, honestly, spend most of my free time on the computer surfing recently. The focus of a new build would is to limit power consumption as much as possible and keep costs down. I've been hoping to migrate to Linux which, to me, means Intel graphics or NVidia.

So far consensus seems to be a dedicated video card, which I expected, but I've been hoping to avoid it as an option.

In this scenario, the monitor seems like more of a curse than a blessing. :biggrin:

bliz November 24, 2012 11:34 AM

Ok ,so what u can do is to buy a Geforce GT 610. supports your resolution and got's DVI.
GeForce GT 610 | Specifications | GeForce

Of course,it sucks :bananafunky:. don't hope any 3d with that, or super old games,but at least,no prob for desktop and 2D.

And what is cool is that you won't have a fan on some.Buy the asus,no fan! it's cool.

Bond007 November 24, 2012 02:23 PM

Why not just reuse you 5750? That would solve your problem.