Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2012, 07:58 AM
Rookie

Default Help upgrading after motherboard failure

My motherboard seems to have died (though could possibly be RAM or CPU).

I was running an Abit IP25Pro and Q6600 overclocked to about 3Ghz, and 3GB of ram.

Time for an upgrade anyway, and hoping to find some black friday deals (good timing there anyway)

I am thinking of going with:
MSI Z77A-GD55 (or 65)
i3570K

Will be reusing from current setup:
Antec Case
650watt Corsair power supply
Nvidia 560ti video card
3 1.5TB drives in Raid 5 (have another thread in storage forum on moving that over)
sata DVDRW drive

Looking for recommendations on the CPU and motherboard choice above.
Also looking for advice on memory (want min 8GB, but 16GB would be nice as I would like to play with running some Virtual Machines).

Currently have a 120GB vertex2 SSD for my OS, but will need to reload anyway to go to win7 64-bit for the extra RAM, so thinking about upgrading that to a 256GB vertex4, or something similar.

System acts as media storage (streams files to xbox via media center), some gaming, and work (mostly spent in chrome/putty/vmware client)

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
Rookie

After a bit of investigation, looking at trying to pickup the following from Tigerdirect sale at 5am tomorrow:

i5 3570K
OCZ agility 4 256GB

Asus P8Z77-V LX
or
MSI Z77A-GD55

Want to get up and running again as fast as possible, which precludes waiting on things to ship in order to save a bit on cost.

Any recommendations between those motherboards? MSI is not on sale, so costs a bit more.

Still trying to figure out best RAM to pickup, prefereably from what tigerdirect has in store. They have a corsair 16GB (4x4GB) set in their black friday ad.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have just build a computer with a really good motherboard, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H , don't forget that gigabyte are pros for motherboards, and really cool features too! the UD3 is quite similar and a bit cheaper! i would go for that one,it's perfect,made for ivy bridge,of course, and a bios with mouse contol!

Get the corsair ram,it's good.for your setup ,i would take a 1600mhz or more ram! corsair dominator is great!
If you are a gamer, don't forget it's smarter to get 8 gb of 1600mhz ram than 16 gb of 1333mhz ram,for example,anyway if you are not a proffesionnal graphics engine maker lol you won't even use 4bg i think!
Old November 23, 2012, 09:17 AM
Rookie

Ended up going with the i5 3570K, asus motherboard above, and corsair 16GB kit from tigerdirect. As well went with the OCZ agility 4 256GB SSD.

Already put together and fresh windows install done, and working great so far.