Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
Rookie

Default New build

Hello, new here but not new to computers. I used to do alot of a+ work years ago but kind of drifted away from it around the time of the first pentiums. Since have been a Mac user and while my day to day computer is going to stay I want to build a PC for gaming and need some advice

1. Mostly gaming
2. Budget about a grand
3.Canada
4. Intel thinking i5 2500k again not set in stone, I would consider an AMD but know nothing about them
5. Plan to overclock to probably 4.5ish
6. 1920x1080 resolution
7. I kinda like the Asus maximus V gene but not married to it.

I dont need any top of the line end all system. Something to play blizzard games, skrym but thats it. Oh and might switch my video converting que from the mac to the new PC but not sure about that yet.

Thanks

Last edited by 06magnum; November 18, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I don't think that you need a deadly video card for those resolutions and as for the board unless your going for more then one video card then you don't really need that board maybe an Asrock z77 extreme motherboard so half decent ram and a decent PSU not sure about which video card to get I am still using a used 560ti that I bought and it is great for every game I have played . I would do some web surfing and look at some deals out there especially this week
Old November 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
MVP

I'd go with AMD here, since you haven't mentioned anything that requires an Intel processor. It's a gaming PC, so dedicate most of your your budget towards the video card first and if you have leftover budget and want to go Intel, go ahead.
Just because he's not using an ultra high resolution doesn't mean a better video card won't help. Maybe he wants more fps at higher graphical settings. Can't immediately dismiss video cards based on resolution.

Definitely get an SSD. You won't go back to using HDD afterwards. As long as you don't get OCZ, you'll be fine. Intel, Crucial, and Samsung are some of the favourites here. I personally use Intel SSDs for most of my builds.

I like Asus boards myself, and have been using them for quite some time, but MSI is looking really good now.

If you're looking for really good deals, take advantage of Memory Express's price beats. Memory Express - Price Protection
They really match anyone and beat the difference by 25%. I've picked up awesome deals like an Antec HCG-620M PSU for $55. Or a Corsair TX750M for $70 (though I don't really like this PSU).

Anyway, I'll give you a guideline.

GPU: Radeon 7950 or GTX 660ti ~$275
CPU/MOBO: Lots of choices here, but try to buy in bundle, it'll save you more money. You can pick up FX-6100 + mobo for $150. (NCIX CrossFire Bundle Deal AMD Bulldozer FX-6100 Six Core & MSI 970A-G46 DDR3 Motherboard) for example.
HSF: $20 for Hyper 212 or Antec/Corsair water cooled units around $40-50.
RAM: Roughly ~$30/8GB.
SSD: 120GB start around ~$80-90 and 180gb around $120-130
PSU: $60-80 You really only need 500w, but the price points get good around 600-700w.
Case: Your preference. ~$50 for a HAF 912 / Antec One.

That's your core stuff. So.. If you went for the more expensive route layed out here, you're looking at ~$800 before tax. That's for a 180gb SSD, with 16GB of RAM, Radeon 7950/660ti, unlocked 6core CPU, modular power supply, sealed water cooling HSF.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
I'd go with AMD here, since you haven't mentioned anything that requires an Intel processor. It's a gaming PC, so dedicate most of your your budget towards the video card first and if you have leftover budget and want to go Intel, go ahead.
Just because he's not using an ultra high resolution doesn't mean a better video card won't help. Maybe he wants more fps at higher graphical settings. Can't immediately dismiss video cards based on resolution.

Definitely get an SSD. You won't go back to using HDD afterwards. As long as you don't get OCZ, you'll be fine. Intel, Crucial, and Samsung are some of the favourites here. I personally use Intel SSDs for most of my builds.

I like Asus boards myself, and have been using them for quite some time, but MSI is looking really good now.

If you're looking for really good deals, take advantage of Memory Express's price beats. Memory Express - Price Protection
They really match anyone and beat the difference by 25%. I've picked up awesome deals like an Antec HCG-620M PSU for $55. Or a Corsair TX750M for $70 (though I don't really like this PSU).

Anyway, I'll give you a guideline.

GPU: Radeon 7950 or GTX 660ti ~$275
CPU/MOBO: Lots of choices here, but try to buy in bundle, it'll save you more money. You can pick up FX-6100 + mobo for $150. (NCIX CrossFire Bundle Deal AMD Bulldozer FX-6100 Six Core & MSI 970A-G46 DDR3 Motherboard) for example.
HSF: $20 for Hyper 212 or Antec/Corsair water cooled units around $40-50.
RAM: Roughly ~$30/8GB.
SSD: 120GB start around ~$80-90 and 180gb around $120-130
PSU: $60-80 You really only need 500w, but the price points get good around 600-700w.
Case: Your preference. ~$50 for a HAF 912 / Antec One.

That's your core stuff. So.. If you went for the more expensive route layed out here, you're looking at ~$800 before tax. That's for a 180gb SSD, with 16GB of RAM, Radeon 7950/660ti, unlocked 6core CPU, modular power supply, sealed water cooling HSF.
Wow thats a huge savings over the intel. I'm guessing performance wise there every bit as good as intel?
Old November 18, 2012, 10:25 PM
Allstar

you're speccing ALOT of money for your mobo. I'm getting 4.4 stable on a mini itx board with my 2600K on the stock cooler (albeit, this setup runs very hot - even with my high tolerance - but that has nothing to do with the mobo).

he siad he was playing Skyrim + Blizzard games. the latter are very NOT graphically intensive (and everything i've heard says Skyrim isn't GPU-heavy). Shadowmeph is right.

Last edited by Generic User #2; November 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:50 PM
MVP

What fps you find playable depends on the person. For me, I want at least 75+ average fps and the 660ti barely hits that in Skyrim on the highest settings @ 1920x1200 (close enough to 1080p). NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB Review

06magnum, are these the only games you plan on playing? Or do you plan to play newer games released in the future?
If your main purpose is gaming, I don't advise getting a less powerful video card. The 660/660ti or 7850-7950 are good value points.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Youngman gave some very good suggestions
motherboard. ASUS M5A99X EVO I have one, its a wicked motherboard, very overclock freindly along with an FX6300 or FX8300. While not as fast as Intel equivalent, they are also less costly overall. But, hard to argue with 2500k/3570k performance and overclock ability easily faster then the FX chips, and more power efficent especially when overclocking is taken into account
8gb 1600 or 1866 memory performance and overclocking ability, I recomend Gskill or Corsair.
PSU I personally would go 650-750w which is more then enough and will allow some dual card configs or at least the highest end card without issue
Case far to many to choose from, the mentioned ones are great choises. There is also Rosewill R5, Corsair 200r, cougar challenger among others
cpu cooler is a def if you plan on overclocking hyper 212+ in push/pull, NZXT Respire T40, Thermal Right 120m, Reeven Arcziel, Artic freezer i30, or a AIO liquid cooler like Corsair H55
SSD and mechanical for storage. While a 60gb works as an OS drive(im using one) I would go with a 90-128gb minimum and if you get this now(black friday week) you can get 256gb for the price you would normally get a 120gb one
GPU the mentioned 7950 or 660ti are great choices, there is also the 7890 being release in the next couple of days, do not know exactly how it will perform. Radeon 7950 with newest beta drivers are very fast cards, the 660Ti is a tad slower actually when compared newest vs newest drivers, but both are great cards. I do not like Nvidia, but thats me :P

I have a 7870 overclocked, not a game I cannot play fully or close to fully maxed out @ 1920x1080 60Hz with a 955 overclocked to 4.055 @ 1.41v 1866 memory. A higher end gpu would be nice to max things out, bit tbh, I am happy with my "low end" cpu, great motherboard and equally great gpu, I play Diablo 3, mechwarrior online, BF3, BC2, Skyrim among others, the only one that sometimes is a little slower is Skyrim, but its not an "AMD title" and I have alot of mods on it. It still plays very well though, I can just imagine with a faster cpu/gpu would do.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
Rookie

I think I am going to go with the AMD. It gives me a bit more to spend on my GPU and from some reviews I've been reading I think it will play just about anything I want so money wise I think it makes sense.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Mostly Gaming , go for amds phenom x4 series (phenom II 955 Be or 965 Be) .

Last edited by kr7777; November 20, 2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:03 AM
Top Prospect

I also agree that it makes more sense to invest money in the GPU/SSD side of things. You can always check out reviews that compare CPU performance in games. Another option, if you're open to it of course, is to go second hand with some of the parts. If you save some cash by doing that you could get the 2500k + SSD + good GPU and stay within your budget. Not everyone feels comfortable buying used parts but I've never had any problems doing it for the last number of years. Either way, I think you'll be fine given the games you're playing.