Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
Rookie

Talking UK - New Build - 450 Budget!

Hey guy's looking to upgrade over the holiday period.

My Current System:
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33 GHz
3gb DDR 2 Ram @ 800mhz
GTX 260 216(her day is numbered)
Asus P5QL Pro Motherboard

So basically i am trying to build a rig that will run BF3 and GTAV when it comes out, i know estimating what will be needed for that game will be hard as system req's have not been released yet but i am open to estimates. I should also point out that 170 will have to come out of the budget for a new monitor, i am going for the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS 1920x1280. So really that leaves me with 380 to spend on a new motherboard ram cpu and gpu, i know it's not allot but, hey i am a student.

So far the cheapest option i have came across is this;

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 965 - 70
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 560TI Gainward 1024mb - 165
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) AM3+ 760G+SB710 - 30
Ram DDR3 4GB Crosair: 15

That brings be to 280, Would this build be capable of playing BF3 on high (not ultra) setting @ 1920 x 1080 and never dip below 40 fps? also the will the cpu bottle neck the gpu? i have read mixed reviews and can't really get a straight answer when it comes to the 965.

Again i would just like to reiterate for any one saying go intel, go intel get a 2500k as i have heard so many times(not on this forum), i am on a budget.

Cheer's - Anton. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...s/biggrin1.gif
Old November 11, 2012, 04:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Since we are largely a Canadian forum, you might want to post some links to stores which you'd be buying from. That way we can better pick out parts for you.

That being said, the Phenom II X4 and 760G chipset are rather old, almost in the same era as your Core 2 Duo. I think there must be a better option out there while remaining in your budget.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:24 PM
Top Prospect

A good rule of thumb (very general, don't start spamming me about how this doesn't apply) when building a system is price points. Now, I'm in the States, but if I'm not mistaken, 450 euro is just shy of 600 usd. So if you are going to spend 165 on a gpu expect to spend ABOUT the same on your cpu (just shy). So if you are spending 165 on your gpu, your price point for the cpu would be about 100-120 to get a cpu that will compliment your other hardware. This isn't science, it's just a generalizations.

So expect something like this:
CPU: 100-120
GPU: 150-200
MB: 50-80
RAM: 15-30
PSU: Don't skimp on clean power

Like I said, thats a generalization, but if you look at other builds on here, and pay attention to the quality setup's you will notice a ratio on price that kind of looks like the above. You'll know you are cheeping yourself out on a part when you are spending WAY more on one part than what you are willing to spend on the rest of the computer. As for running BF3 on high, probably not. You will notice frame loss and lag, but that will also depend on your network connection.

I base my builds on 4 things, I start with Compatibility, then Performance, then Aesthetics (If windowed), and then Price. If price is most important to you, then I would recommend Compatibility, Price, Performance. Since I always start with my CPU, I'll toss out a CPU that might give you what you want but sticks to your price point, and let you go from there:
80 : AMD Bulldozer FX-4 3.6Ghz : AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition 3.60Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor - Retail [FD4100WMGUSBX]
Old November 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
Rookie

Thank's for the reply's guy's, the fx4100 has been a cpu that i have had my eye on but some people are saying clock for clock that the phenom ii x4 965 is a better option as it is faster, i found this hard to believe at first because it was simple a newer cpu, whats you're guy's option on this? i also have noticed the fx6100 and fx 4300 vashera? did i say that right? are also out now.
Old November 12, 2012, 11:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
Thank's for the reply's guy's, the fx4100 has been a cpu that i have had my eye on but some people are saying clock for clock that the phenom ii x4 965 is a better option as it is faster, i found this hard to believe at first because it was simple a newer cpu, whats you're guy's option on this? i also have noticed the fx6100 and fx 4300 vashera? did i say that right? are also out now.
Bulldozer CPUs may be newer than the previous Phenom IIs but bear in mind that they are different. Since you've not followed the whole Bulldozer drama, I'll give a simple explanation. Phenom IIs have a full sized core, I'll give a value of 1. Bulldozer cores are different, they have about the value of 0.8 or 80% of the performance of what it used to be. So essentially you're getting less performance compared to its predecessor.

I wouldn't suggest against getting an AMD Bulldozer based rig as it is pretty cheap after a couple of price cuts. There are many reviews out there regarding the FX4100, I'll let the numbers speak for themselves. Either way, you'll get a decent rig.