Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
Rookie

Default NEW BUILD WITH ASUS P8Z77 V PREMIUM NEED HELP

Hi everyone,
I am doing a build with a Asus P8Z77 V Premium motherboard, any one have info on upgrading the onboard 32GB to a 64GB or a 128GB SSD.
I am wondering what would be the best product to use. They say you can upgrade the 32GB SSD but that don't give you any advice or what product to recommend. Has anyone tried this and what kind of results. I am hoping to run my OS off the SSD and use my 480SSD for all my files and games. Is there a way to find out what SSD is compatible with this board and can I use a sata ll or does it have to be a sata lll ssd.

secuuda
Old November 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

nice board.

can you remove the mSata chip out of this particular board and replace it, I have no idea.

but I would put my money on mSata that have corresponding SSD rep... Cruical...

Last edited by Bungwirez; November 13, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old November 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
Rookie

Yes this mSATA is removable and can be upgraded but in the manual it does not give any reference to which brand they would recommend and if you can use a mSATA lll or not. I think from what I have read in the manual it is a mSATA ll ssd but not positive. They always recommend memory and what type so I never understand why,that when you can upgrade they don't specify.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandTech
Our mSATA port comes below the chipset heatsink and the SATA ports. This is a single mSATA 3 Gbps from the chipset to power a 32GB LiteOn SSD. ASUS calls this their ‘Complete System Boosting Solution’. While it is nice to have an extra 32GB SSD as part of the system build, ASUS expect the primary focus will be with the SSD caching – users having a mechanical hard drive and using the onboard SSD as a smart cache. My perception on the other hand is that if a user is laying down $450 for a motherboard, chances are they can buy a fully blown SATA 6 Gbps SSD as an OS drive. This leaves the 32GB SSD as either storage, somewhere to offload the pagefile, or as an OS drive itself – note that 32GB is below the recommended amount for Windows 7 64-bit.
source: AnandTech - ASUS P8Z77-V Premium Review: A Bentley Among Motherboards

good luck with your new build.