Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   partition or not? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/57722-partition-not.html)

mleunm November 6, 2012 08:23 AM

partition or not?

guys/gals of hardwarecanucks,

if you were building a new pc with win 7 would you partition the hd...normally i would but my friend says its not necessary whats your opinion on this?

also can viruses jump partitions? (my friends question)

sincerely
mleunm

great_big_abyss November 6, 2012 08:47 AM

It would help to know what you're using as a boot drive, secondary drive, etc.

If you're using an SSD as a boot drive with an HDD as a secondary drive, then no, there is really no point in partitioning.

Even with a larger boot HDD , unless you have some specialized usage (dual boot from one drive, maybe?) I don't see any point in partitioning anymore.

mleunm November 6, 2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 668941)
It would help to know what you're using as a boot drive, secondary drive, etc.

If you're using an SSD as a boot drive with an HDD as a secondary drive, then no, there is really no point in partitioning.

Even with a larger boot HDD , unless you have some specialized usage (dual boot from one drive, maybe?) I don't see any point in partitioning anymore.

thanks for answering

its a 1tb hd

Shadowmeph November 6, 2012 09:57 AM

well usually to get a Virus you would have to download something . so unless the person is downloading allot from unsavory places it is unlikely they will get a virus. now as for the partitioning myself I usually run more then one hard drive so in a since it would be similar to a partition in that the main OS is on one drive and all of my downloads and my weekly backups are and such are in a separate area or drive

francisw19 November 6, 2012 11:06 AM

Given the size of the drive you're using, I'd partition it - one for the OS and programs and another for your documents. I've been in the habit of doing this because I like to keep the OS and personal data separate in case there is an issue with the OS and you have to restore an image or reinstall the OS. Also something to keep in mind (assuming you're using Windows) is you can move the default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folders to another location on your system if you use these folders. With that, you can store them where you like but keep the handy integration with Explorer. :)

enaberif November 6, 2012 11:18 AM

Not worth it. Just use it as one large drive.

Bond007 November 6, 2012 03:14 PM

I say leave it as one as well. I have partitioned, and it is just another step that can eventually cause an issue (things installing in both partitions, or not uninstalling fully). I will never partition again, just use folders.

rfglass November 6, 2012 04:43 PM

I have had to nuke OS drives many times (windows would not even boot) i am sure glad my drive and others were partitioned so music/movies/data/pictures and tax returns were not lost

Nodscene November 6, 2012 07:51 PM

I've always partitioned drives as it makes life so much easier when reinstalling the os as you never know when that needs to happen. Always have install files, documents, pictures etc on separate drives to keep them safe. I learned the hard way and never made that mistake again.

enaberif November 6, 2012 09:35 PM

What people are failing to say is that if your drive goes south.. partitioned or not.. its still one drive.