Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2012, 09:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The Core i5 3570K is in a different league compared to the Phenom II x4 965 BE. Here's a rough example as to how far behind AMD has become this past few years. Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly buy any AMD products if they deliver the performance, like their GPUs.

Not too familiar about PhysX but from what I know, its just additional eye candy that only appeals to some. There are definitely games that are dependent on CPU power but bear in mind that you're more likely to be bottlenecked by the GPU before you're looking at a CPU bottleneck. We don't know what lies ahead in the future but core/thread scaling for games has not been too linear. It would take a little while longer before we see games requiring 6-8 cores/threads.

You're building a mITX LAN rig where its focuses more on cramming the most performance in the tightest space, not building a high end gaming machine. The only way that you could get a dual PCIE slot motherboard is to actually buy a bigger mATX motherboard and a bigger case.

You could get the Core i7 3770K if it strikes your fancy (your money after all, not mine), but many have shown remorse (a week/month after building) about their need for a Core i7 3770K in a normal gaming machine. Its just extra cost that could be spent on something that offers more tangible performance gain, like a better GPU.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:28 PM
Rookie

Yea, I think I wasn't clear enough. The question on 965 BE vs i7 3770K was aimed at my current desktop and is not to be comfused with the LAN-build whatsoever. The build is obviously for LAN only and I do know there's no room for SLI/CrossfireX (nor any need). The LAN rig is the one I mentioned earlier and looks as if it will stay the way it is.

My own rig that I have currently, my desktop, consists of the 965 BE processor and the 790XTA-UD4 motherboard. Instead of making a new thread on questions about my current rig I just included them here. Might've been a bit sloppy.

So, I've seen those numbers and I found my way to anandtech's website which shed some light on this matter. The only reason I am reluctant to actually go forward with the exchange of MB and Processor for my desktop is cause I have no place to put/use the current ones. Never liked the idea of throwing stuff away, especially perfectly good electroniks. I'll see if I can find someone interested in buying my old MB and CPU and then I might upgrade those parts.

Now to only chose a good MB that isn't overpriced. As far as I know there aren't any dual PCI-E 3.0 x16 MB out there cause there currently is no real need for it. Now seen as I have 2 AMD 7870's I would like to not limit them in any way. I was thinking of going with the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4. I just want to check with you guys first: I want my new MB to have LGA 1155, dual x16 and at least 4 SATA 6.0GB slots. The cheaper the better seen as how this will be a "mild" upgrade and the next time I'll even think about upgrading again will be the time they start mainstreaming DDR4 memory.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is good for its price. Assembled with one before, for a friend's PC.
Old November 2, 2012, 08:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is good for its price. Assembled with one before, for a friend's PC.
But does it supprt dual x16 or will it be a dual x8 like most MBs?

[EDIT]
So there's this PCI-E 3.0 which has x8 and x16 and there's PCI-E 2.0 which has the same. Is 3.0 x8 = 2.0 x16?
Or is 3.0 x16 the same as 2.0 x16? Also, if the MB has 2 PCI-E 3.0 ports and when you go CF they go down to x8, do they go down to x8 3.0 or x8 2.0? This is a bit confusing to me, unless I am right about the above. Would be great to get this cleared up.

[EDIT2]
I was watching this Motherboard comparison; Toms Hardware to see what differs. One thing I can't figure out is how many SATA 6.0GB/s connections there are. Under "Internal Interfaces" It says 4 SATA 6.0BG/s but then under "Mass Storage Controllers" it says 2 x SATA 6.0GB/s. So how many SSD's/HDD's can I connect with SATA 6.0GB/s? 2 or 4? So many details to consider. HALP!

Last edited by Anthraxious; November 2, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old November 2, 2012, 09:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

There are no native dual x16 motherboards for Intel's mainstream lineup, even with the future Haswell. There are only effective x16 lanes to the CPU, regardless of whether it is PCIE 2.0 or PCIE 3.0, a dual GPU setup will always be in an x8x8 configuration unless you're willing to spend A LOT more on motherboards with PLX chips. A PCIE 3.0 x8 has about the same effective bandwidth as PCIE 2.0 x16 but this shouldn't be a concern since most single GPUs are still not bottlenecked by a PCIE 2.0 x8 slot.

Most SB/IB motherboards come with 2 native SATA 6GB/s ports from the chipset. If you're paying more, the manufacturers will implement an additional 2 SATA 6GB/s ports with a 3rd party chip but ideally its best to use the Intel SATA 6GB/s ports first since it is better.
Old November 2, 2012, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
There are no native dual x16 motherboards for Intel's mainstream lineup, even with the future Haswell. There are only effective x16 lanes to the CPU, regardless of whether it is PCIE 2.0 or PCIE 3.0, a dual GPU setup will always be in an x8x8 configuration unless you're willing to spend A LOT more on motherboards with PLX chips. A PCIE 3.0 x8 has about the same effective bandwidth as PCIE 2.0 x16 but this shouldn't be a concern since most single GPUs are still not bottlenecked by a PCIE 2.0 x8 slot.

Most SB/IB motherboards come with 2 native SATA 6GB/s ports from the chipset. If you're paying more, the manufacturers will implement an additional 2 SATA 6GB/s ports with a 3rd party chip but ideally its best to use the Intel SATA 6GB/s ports first since it is better.
Ok, as I read before x8/x8 only gives a -2-3% performance loss compared to a x16/x16 setup. Great to get that out of the way.

As for the SATA 6.0GB/s ports: So what numbers am I going on? If I want 4 ports then which number should I recognize? The "Mass Storage Controllers" or the "Internal Interfaces"? I would guess "Internal Interfaces" means number of ports of that sort, no?

Reason I am asking is cause I have an SSD and 3-4 other HDD's I want to put in. I'd like most of them to be via SATA III and not SATA II. Either way, that's the last question for now, I'll be starting building stuff and will be back with updates. If I make the build and want to show ppl with pics, should I make a new thread? I figured this thread is basically a question and the other will be the build itself, no fuss, just epicness.
Old November 2, 2012, 10:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Just look at the pictures, SATA 6GB/s ports are different in color. It will usually come in a configuration of 4 SATA 3GB/s + 2 SATA 6GB/s(Intel chipset)/4 SATA 6GB/s(Intel chipset + Marvell 3rd party). Having a HDD plugged to a SATA 6GB/s is a waste. HDDs barely saturates the bandwidth that SATA 3GB/s provides. SATA 6GB/s ports should only be reserved for SSDs.
Old November 2, 2012, 10:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Just look at the pictures, SATA 6GB/s ports are different in color. It will usually come in a configuration of 4 SATA 3GB/s + 2 SATA 6GB/s(Intel chipset)/4 SATA 6GB/s(Intel chipset + Marvell 3rd party). Having a HDD plugged to a SATA 6GB/s is a waste. HDDs barely saturates the bandwidth that SATA 3GB/s provides. SATA 6GB/s ports should only be reserved for SSDs.
I see, thanks for the info. I will start building and exchanging next week. Will be a blast!
Old November 2, 2012, 04:44 PM
Rookie

I recently looked at the ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM board and it has an on board 32GB SSD (through mSATA). AFAIK this is for caching files. Do you think it's possible to install the OS on that 32GB (which is plenty of space)? Would be cool if the OS was on the MB technically speaking ;).