Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2012, 08:13 PM
Top Prospect

Default Budget build - need advice

So here's the scoop - I have an older home PC that I keep bringing back from the dead (components are going one at a time and I've replaced/sort of upgraded to keep it running). It died a few weeks back. It's a q6600, with an Evga motherboard that used ddr2 ram. The motherboard died and I've priced it out and I'm looking about $70 get it back up and running, but the cpu is around 4 or 5 years old (I think?) and socket 775 motherboard don't offer the newer features, plus I believe the newer chips offer a bit of a speed advantage?

I guess I'm stuck trying figure out if I should just limp this system along or if I should replace it with something that will get me a bit more speed for things like boot times and opening programs.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Internet usage, word processing, 1080p mkv playback and occasional photo editing. I game about once a year, so if the unit can game (at low res) great. If not, oh well. Basically, I'd love to have a system that does the mundane stuff quickly.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
$350 is the max I want to spend for ram, CPU and motherboard. If possible I'd love to include a cheap SSD in that price for an OS drive

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada - not opposed to buying used either

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
No brand preference. Basically best performance for the given price range, but if I had to choose I've had good luck with asus, corsair, mushkin gigabyte, but I've noticed msi and asrock seem to be more popular nowadays.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Reusing all components expect for motherboard, CPU and ram. (Possibly using my old 8800 video card but might just skip and go with integrated for the time being). Running windows 7

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
I've done some research and its been a few years since my last pc that I've built, but I usually look at higher end builds. I've never really tried to put together a cheap low end system. I'm a bit lost as to whether integrated graphics will be able to play back the high def content and I'm not sure if an AMD apu is the way to go and ditch the old school graphics card or if I should look at intel and use a less robust integrated graphics for the time being? Also, this might sound stupid, but if I only want the ability to run a single graphics card and a sound card in the future does it matter if I go matx or atx? Will one have better components at roughly the same price point?

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I loved over clocking my old systems. It was a blast, but it wasn't really for any other reason than to mess around and see how far I could get it... On my last build I ventured into building a water cooling loop and thought it was a fun, but not necessarily the most economic way of doing things. This time round I'd just buy a corsair h60 in the future or some sealed loop system when the budget allows. I am confused though if you can overclock an i3 processor.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Within a month

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
My monitor is 24" 1920x1200. Video playback is 1080p though.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
I dont care if the board is atx or matx. The only cards i would ever want to install is a single video card and an audio card. I have a bluray drive that I want to use, and all the new goodies (sata3, usb3 etc) would be nice. I have no Sata3 or USB devices at the moment, but future proofing is nice. I dont care for or against thunderbolt. In my last build I had a vertex2 SSD and loved it. Best speed enhancing thing I did to my machine. Would love to include one for the OS and maybe an application or two, but i understand the cost is quite high.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old October 29, 2012, 04:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Intel Core i5-3450
MSI B75MA-P45
G.SKILL Value 4GB DDR3 1333 [2 units]

Its under $300 for these 3 items and should be more than you'll ever need. The motherboard comes with SATA 6GB/s. It'll come in handy if you want to avoid bottlenecks with the current SSDs in the market.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ASUS F2A55-M/CSM FM1 mATX motherboard - $89.99
AMD A8-5600K Quad Core APU - $104.99
KIngston HyperX 1600MHZ 2x4GB DDR3 RAM - $34.99

Total: $229.97 + taxes.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 29, 2012, 03:04 PM
Rookie

yup i wud go for the apu build for mild gaming at the same time for some good performance, you can also add a 120GB or 60GB SSD.... i think it was OCZ agility 3... you can check that out as well.
Old October 29, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Here are three points for you to consider before you decide what route to go.

1. How much do you value the "about once a year gaming"?
2. When you do this gaming are they older games, or new ones?
3. How would you prioritize gaming, general CPU performance, and loading times?

Those questions will really help you out. If you want a fairly well rounded computer with a mild cpu upgrade, the jump to ddr3, and an SSD to speed up load times, then with your budget I would definitely recommend and APU like suggested above with an SSD added (the integrated graphics would do what you want). If you value processing power to help with editing etc, then you could consider spending a larger portion of your budget on the CPU (something like an i5 3450/3470), but that will have worse gaming ability with the integrated and eliminate the ability to have an SSD within your budget (those could be added later, but obviously for a cost).
Old October 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

at that price you could squeeze in a 60GB Intel 330 SSD or the "megapopular" Crucial M4 at 64GB
Old October 29, 2012, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
at that price you could squeeze in a 60GB Intel 330 SSD or the "megapopular" Crucial M4 at 64GB
Or a 120-128gb variant of something like a vertex 3, which have been going on sale quite cheap.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks guys for all the information. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a system soon! (within the next week)
Old November 6, 2012, 08:09 AM
Rookie

i3 3220
msi h77ma-g43
corsair 4gb(maybe 8)
cougar solution (us$39.99 ncix)