Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Looking for cost saving help (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/57529-looking-cost-saving-help.html)

Kingsix October 26, 2012 08:54 AM

Looking for cost saving help

Hey everyone, thanks in advance.

So I am looking at building a new rig in the next month or so.
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Mostly Gaming, Some Downloading for HTPC, eventual streaming to XBMC, but this will probably be taken over by a NAS system in the next year or so. (OUYA will be my player not that it matters, just a brag)

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
This is the key, I am fine with spending up to $1500, but that should include all peripherals etc. I would like to get the core system down to about $1000, but not if it means sacrificing too much.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Good Ol' Canada, where the environment cools your rig. Heh damn its cold here in Edmonton already.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
The CPU will be the i5-3750K, unless that drops down a notch for cost savings at the suggestion of you guys, but Intel
The GPU will be the Gigabyte 670 OC Edition, it will be 670 no doubt, if you have something against the Gigabyte let me know, but from what I have seen it seems to be the king of the hill.
The Case will most likely be the new Silverstone SG09, I like em small. Listed currently as Tj08 but SG09 isn't in the lists.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Not really. I might try to pilfer a cheapo Dell Keyboard and Mouse from work to save buying a the money keyboard and mouse that I don't really like. Not willing to drop cash on high end periphs at this time. Maybe in a few months when the wife isn't looking I will upgrade.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Yeah I have been researching a ton, but this is mostly cost savings.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Initially no, but I plan to dabble, nothing pushing limits or anything, probably look at what a stable point is and just set it.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Within the Next 30 days

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
Simply the best.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
Ummm a USB plug in point to point transporter system, like in Star Trek, if you know where I can get one let me know. Hell I will even go with a 120V plug in version ;)

Here is what I am working with currently. (EDIT INITIAL POST STILL HAD CORSAIR LIQUID, Changed to Noctual D14)

PCPartPicker part list: Intel Core i5-3570K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670, Silverstone TJ08B-E - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada
Price breakdown by merchant: Intel Core i5-3570K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670, Silverstone TJ08B-E - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker Canada
Benchmarks: Intel Core i5-3570K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670, Silverstone TJ08B-E - System Build - Benchmarks - PCPartPicker Canada

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($230.98 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($72.43 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($163.23 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.73 @ NCIX)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.35 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($378.98 @ NCIX)
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($104.98 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($125.98 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Acer V243HAJbd 24.0" Monitor ($145.82 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($101.83 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $1657.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
Not shown: Slot Load DVD drive from Silverstone = $70
NOTE: I will be buying everything local at Memory Express using the uber price beat so that might save me an extra $51, as currently there are $205 saving from the other places and the price beat adds 25% on to the difference. So $51.

Also I will be looking for sales and buying parts when it makes sense, so maybe I save another $50.

Leaving the final price at $1626

Here is the challenge.
-Trim about $126 off this cost without sacrificing much. One thing might be to drop the slot load DVD and get an External drive, saving about $30, but then its external. Anyone have a good link for a cheaper slot load drive?
-Anything that there is a possibly better option for considering my preferences? (I'm not going AMD)
-Whats the word out there Windows 7 or Windows 8?

PLEASE NOTE, the following is to avoid a bunch of posts on the price beat rules, please don't post arguing about this:
I fully understand the Mem Express Uber Price beat rules, a lot of people think that you can only price beat 2 items at a time. Direct quote "There is a limit of 2 (two) Über Price Beats per item, per customer". As you can see, its 2 price beats per item, the reason they say this is that they also will beat the price again for 7 days. This keeps people like you and me from price beating 3 times a day for the next 7 days, getting an extra buck or two off each time. Why is it a problem, well they have to pay the guy that is doing your price beat, so eventually the profits would wear out.

supaflyx3 October 26, 2012 08:58 AM

Since you'll be gaming at 1080P, downgrade that 670 to a 660ti and you're good to go. :thumb:

Kingsix October 26, 2012 10:16 AM

That is probably the thing I am least willing to change, second would be the processor.

dma0991 October 26, 2012 11:12 AM

Why do you even need a slot loading drive for the Silverstone TJ-08E? Silverstone only sells them for specific models which are usually mITX sized cases and the Silverstone TJ-08E isn't one of them. You could even do away with optical drives. I hardly ever use it and on my current main desktop, there isn't even one. Getting this PSU instead will save you a few more dollars. Works just as good as the Corsair.

snoosebum October 26, 2012 11:17 AM

You could try shopbot to find a few better prices. For instance Windows 7 you could price match a bit cheaper Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 64-Bit - Price Comparison - Canada - Operating Systems. you could also knock 15 bucks off the 3570k etc... I would worry about price matching a bunch of stuff I've never had any problem at memory express.

One question, why the 2.5 HDD? A 3.5" will be cheaper and faster.

Black Friday is not too far away either. Although its tough to build a computer from random parts on sale that sell out in a few minutes, if the site doesnt crash.

JJThomp October 26, 2012 11:36 AM

Shopbot - Compare prices - Canada - Price Comparison - Comparison Shopping

Put in your parts and see what you can find...
The CPU, case and a PSU of equal value can be had for less.

Masteroderus October 26, 2012 11:46 AM

You could go stock cooling for the cpu and shave off a few bucks. You could also get the non k variant of the i5 and save a few more bucks. You could also go with the 50 dollar bitfenix case and save some more bucks, acutally a lot of bucks, then you can buy a standard 20 dollar optical drive

Bitfenix Merc Alpha ATX Mid Tower Gamer Case, Black at Memory Express

Case isn't much of a looker..... but it fits atx, mini atx and micro atx mobo, albeit with only seven expansion slots.

Just my 2 cents, the build you have looks great and synergizes well with your needs :thumb:

Kingsix October 26, 2012 12:04 PM

DMA0991 - "The Case will most likely be the new Silverstone SG09, I like em small. Listed currently as Tj08 but SG09 isn't in the lists.", The SG09 is too small for a regular drive, it only has the slot, no 5.25" bay. It may be a bit ugly to some, but to me it doesn't look that bad, has an 180 intake on top, and is tiny, which is something that i want.

The 2.5" Hard drive is a good point snoosebum, the SG09 is a small case but it could fit a 3.5, I guess I was just thinking small.

Anyway I think I may have solved the cash issue anyway, I will probably just get Windows 7 for free, I have access to a Not for Profit License, so bam, but I will look into the 3.5" drive.

Thanks
Keep em coming if anyone else sees anything.

Edit, oh Im checking out that Power supply also thanks.

rfglass October 26, 2012 01:40 PM

$95 psu made by Seasonic XFX 750W PRO750W XXX Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 80PLUS Silver

blaze_125 October 26, 2012 01:46 PM

CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - 55$ after mir
Newegg.ca - Shell Shocker Deal. Exclusive Jaw Dropping Savings on PC Components and Electronics.

Kijiji is also a good source for many items.