Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Generally. Cookie cutter motherboards for pre-assembled desktop pcs are made to be economical. Usually made of lower quality parts and less features for inexperienced PC users. That being said, it's perfect for A LOT of people who aren't enthusiasts. I've also seen them last as much as a decade before failing. That's why it's not the greatest board. But if you don't plan on overclocking or don't mind the lack of features. Then it's perfect for you :) This is why they can sell a whole PC for ~300 dollars, also why some of the plugs are in odd places (because they are often made for the case they sit in). Your lucky it even fit in your case because they often make them odd shapes so that you can't transfer them easilly.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The board I havebeen using in this machine was made almost 10 years ago and is still rock solid, I have wanted C2D or C2Q for years, just never had the cash flow to get one, when my friends had this trade deal I jumped on it. These plugs are actually in the same spots as most motherboard for the most part, other than the fact that right on top of the power connector there is an floppy channel lol. I don't plan to overclock or anything like that, in fact all it does is web surf and video playback, not even rip dvd's anymore, I mean if I was to rip a dvd I can but its rare. I want to try and put OS X on it and see if I can get it to run properly, I tried to do it with the P5LP-LE but there were a few things that weren't supported.
|~2.5TB HDD's
|Thermaltake V3
|Thermaltake 430W PSU
|Radeon Sapphire 4650 1GB DDR2
Heatware Record | Ebay Record
Old October 26, 2012, 09:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Your good to go. I can't say much about OS X, however if that's all your using it for you have no need for a super computer :)
Old October 26, 2012, 10:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Exactly, I mean yea it would be cool to be able to overclock and such but I just don't have that high of a hardware to software demand to need anything 900+ bucks. The biggest thing with OS X is making sure that the chipsets are compatible, damn you apple, basically anything C2D or possibly Pentium D is a native install for OS X so basically you can use a retail unmodefied OS X DVD to install.
|~2.5TB HDD's
|Thermaltake V3
|Thermaltake 430W PSU
|Radeon Sapphire 4650 1GB DDR2
Heatware Record | Ebay Record