Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2012, 01:12 AM
Rookie

Default The most energy efficient Build

Hello Canuckers,

my goal is to make the most energy efficient build. My current PC is using a lot of power. So whenever I have to download things and need to keep the PC up all night[or sometimes full day], the electricity bill flying by the roof. So, rather than paying a very high electricity bill thats hitting my pocket, i want to make a small energy efficient pc that will work as my storage place, which I will use to download and stuff. I will use my current 1TB HDD in the new build, and the game rig will be buffed up with a SSD[128 GB maybe]. The SSD is coming in my home not too long from now. So that problem is solved.

heres the sticky Q & A

1. What YOUR PC will be used for?
data storage and browsing/research/youtube, etc.

2. What YOUR budget is.
Around 250 usd to 300 usd

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
India, if not available, then i will try ebay

IF YOU have a brand preference.
not really, but i am looking to check corsair stuff, never actually got a chance to use them, so if there is a corsair solution, bring it on.If possible an intel cpu is preferred. Never used intel in a very long time.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
the most important part. I have a 1TB barracuda, HP dvd writer, that I will plug into the new build. I also have mouse,keyboard,speaker,headphones, win7. I will also use my current monitor, so I dun wanna spend on extra things that I wont need.

IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
I tried a lot, but everywhere it was having a GPU, which I dun need at the moment, already have a gaming rig So, not much of the threads I have read has helped me.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
No... no OCing.

WHEN do you plan to build it?
In a month. I have not yet bought any parts yet. But I have found some of the things that I think might help.

What resolution and settings do you use?
I will use VGA for 1080p. Cuz the Dvi on my monitor is going to be used by the game rig

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
Hmm, nothing at all. I would think, that sata 3 6gb/s wud be nice, but yea, if possible, super duper quite

Here is the list that I have made, not too sure if its good or not. I actually need help with the PSU.

Intel 2.6 GHz LGA 1155 Dual Core G620
ASUS P8H61-M LX Motherboard
Cooler Master Elite 361
Seasonic S12II 430 Watts PSU
Corsair DDR3 2 GB (1 x 2 GB)
1 TB seagate Baraccuda
HP DVD Writer

The problem, is that I am not able to find a lower watt PSU, or how much watts and volt power rail do i need. I have still need to study that part a bit. But a little help over there is very helpful.

Thank you.
Old October 25, 2012, 02:13 AM
Allstar

The G620 is listed at 65W, according to Wiki. If you staying with Sandy Bridge, G620T or G630T would be the lowest watt dual core. Anything below that would also be 35W but will be single core. Ivy Bridge wise, 3470T, 3240T, 3220T, G2100T are also lowest power at 35W. The absolute lowest power would be 17W but that's a $200 server chip.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you find a Seasonic SS-300ES power supply? (Really 200W would be enough if you're going for very low power.)

Also since it's just for downloading you can go to even lower watts with an AMD E-350 (a netbook processor):
AnandTech - The Brazos Review: AMD's E-350 Supplants ION for mini-ITX
Apparently there are some cases with 1080p video that makes it choke, but you can't get any better than that for power consumption with desktop hardware.
The E-series is available in CPU-motherboard combos like this one: ASRock > E350M1/USB3

Another way to get extreme low power consumption is actually to get a laptop, because laptops have CPU voltage modifications and power supplies that allow them to get you even lower power consumption than a desktop at the same price. My laptop with Core i5 2410M idles at less than 10W when the battery is fully charged and it's plugged in. A laptop with an AMD A4 or Core i3 would also outperform the E-350 I posted above. Get some cheap laptop with a USB 3.0 port and attach your 1TB hard drive (assuming the laptop's internal hard drive isn't enough space) with a USB 3.0 external drive enclosure.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Listen to moocow, then also pick up low voltage ram.

Switch to a case that allows you to run one 120mm fan.

Undervolt your processor

And use an 80PLUS gold or platinum rated PSU.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Get a 4GB ram at least. 2GB is a no-brainer these days.
Old October 26, 2012, 02:05 AM
Rookie

Intel Pentium G630T 2.30 GHz Processor
Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 Motherboard
Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
SeaSonic SSR-360GP 360W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS GOLD
Corsair DDR3 4 GB PC RAM

This is what I have come up with uptil now. The prices have risen since the processor and psu is not available in india so i needed to import them :(

so what do u guys think???
Old October 26, 2012, 02:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Can you get Zotac ZBOX's in India? Not only are they efficient but they are tiny and reasonably priced IMHO.

ZBOX

ZOTAC ZBOX nano AD12 PLUS [ZBOXNANO-AD12-PLUS-U]

Slightly over budget but maybe you can find it in retail for cheaper.
Zotac ZBOX Nano AD12 Online Price, Specifications, Reviews, Features in India : Desktop PCs - Compare India

Zotac ZBOX Nano AD10 Plus Online Price, Specifications, Reviews, Features in India : Desktop PCs - Compare India

Zotac ZBOX Nano AD10 Online Price, Specifications, Reviews, Features in India : Desktop PCs - Compare India

Not sure what those work out to.

Last edited by JJThomp; October 26, 2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I built a few G620/GT 210 silent GPU/ corsair CX 430 watt PSU builds for people, takes 45 watts from the wall on average, under 100 watts full load during OCCT power supply test(%100 CPU/GPU usage)
Old October 26, 2012, 11:34 AM
Allstar

To be honest, I never build a computer for the lowest power usage since I don't hardly leave things on 24 hours. The specs you have listed looks logical and I doubt moving to Ivy Bridge will give you any sort of benefits. Would moving up to a mATX setup be a bit cheaper? Also, you're limited to 2 SATA port with that mITX board unless you are willing to put in a new controller card and a new case to expand your storage.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:09 PM
Rookie

Thank you for all the suggestions and advices, now I know what to look for. Thank Youuuuuu