Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2012, 07:45 PM
Rookie

Question CPU cooler for Lian Li PC-C60 HTPC case

I'm building an HTPC. I'm just having trouble picking out a CPU cooler. I'm using a ASUS P9X79 Deluxe board with the PC-C60 case. So far this is what I've been deciding on...

Phanteks PH-TC14CS - I don't think this will fit with the top fan. Both fans - 140.5mm (H) and Single bottom fan -112mm (H)

Noctua NH-C14 with additional LGA 2011 mounting bracket. This might fit with both fans but don't know how the manufacturer measures these. If it's measured from the base this should fit with both fans. Both fans - 130mm (H) and Single bottom fan 105mm
Noctua NH-L12 - Both fans - 93mm

I just don't know if they take the measurements from the base and all the way to the top fan or from the bottom fan and up? This is very critical in my situation. I have a maximum of 140mm room with about 3-4mm before touching the bottom of the lid.

I'm trying to figure out what would give me better performance from the below configurations:

Phanteks PH-TC14CS with one fan (bottom) only vs. Noctua NH-L12 with both fans

Noctua NH-C14 with bottom fan only vs. Noctua NH-L12 with both fans

I would gladly get the NH-C14 with two fans and still have some space for air circulation if I knew from what point it's measured from.
Old October 24, 2012, 12:36 PM
Rookie

I ended up getting the Noctua NH-C14. The height is perfect but now I found out that I need a shorter optical drive. Here is a pic of a broken one I have on hand. This one is 175mm in length. This isn't a SATA drive so I could probably use 90 degree cables with a new SATA. But I would still like more room there. What are some shorter good DVD or Bluray drives?
Attached Images

Old October 24, 2012, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
What are some shorter good DVD or Bluray drives?
I think dvd drives are all the same size. they are 5.25" drives so they all are the same dimensions as far as i know. 90 degree connectors would be the best way to go.