Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2012, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Default Sub $1200usd Build Help :)

1. What YOUR PC will be used for.

Microsoft Office, Graphic design Adobe suite mostly, Gaming (Mostly LoL, but I want a system able to play Skyrim and more demanding games in the future on high to ultra), some video editing too, When browsing i tend to load multiple tabs.

Fast loading, reasonably good rendering, nice multi-tasking, 1080p video playback required

2. What YOUR budget is.

I would say mi budget is 1200usd (the shipping isnt included ill deal with that as I live outside the US but the items will be shipped to an US address, the shipping cost from the US to Costa Rica is around 200~300usd with insurance)

So the budget strictly for the PC would be around 1200usd

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

US

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.

Not really a brand preference but where I live Intel tends to retain more value if I want to sell it in the future... So preferably an Intel based system.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have 2 500gb HDD's (WD) and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits, also an LG Flatron 23" LCD screen, I would also be using my TV when watching movies - Sony Bravia 32", for speakers I would be using my home theater (Optical audio).

[B]6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

I'm new to the DIY thing, so I want to know I'm getting the best possible deal for my money :)

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Small OC would be nice, to get the most out of it :)

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

I'm looking forward to the black friday deals... so aprox 1 month from now

9. What resolution and settings do you use?

Max everything would be awesome... under the budget I could go for High... Not really knowledgable about gaming technologies yet, (3d gaming and eyefinity are not real options for me though...) I will be using a 32inch 1080p TV for Streaming or watching movies... so quite possibly 2 displays

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?

blu-ray isnt necessary i stream most of what i watch.

The Build so far : Intel Core i5-3570K, MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID - System Build - PCPartPicker

To make it easier for everyone this is the build with links straight to amazon (if availible there):

CPU: Core i5-3570K
Amazon.com: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K: Computers & Accessories

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT
Amazon.com: Cooler Master V6 GT - CPU Cooler with Two 120mm PWM Fans and 6 Heat Pipes (RR-V6GT-22PK-R1): Electronics

(I just love the look of this Cooler and its around the price I was aiming for... any suggestions?)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KTY4A6/?tag=pcpapi-20

(Upgraded to get more expansion and Sata ports)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (2 kits)
Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB (2x4GB) PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3M2A1600C9: Electronics

(Not sure about the need for LowProfile ram, price seems to be identical any input on this matter?)

Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (CT128M4SSD2) - PCPartPicker

(This SSD is for system and some programs maybe a few games if they fit ;), for storage I'm planning on re-using 2 500gb WD HDD's I already own)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
Amazon.com: MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition Graphics Card with Triple Overvoltage and Enhanced PWM Design (N660TI PE 2GD5/OC): Electronics

Audio Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz
Amazon.com: ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG: Electronics

(I know I dont need this 100% but Linus mentions it EVERY TIME HE POSSIBLY CAN, so why not get one if it fits on the budget?)

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I
Amazon.com: Commander MS-I VN40001W2N System Cabinet: Computers & Accessories

PSU: SeaSonic X760 80 Plus Gold
SeaSonic X Series 760W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (X760 Gold) - PCPartPicker

Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer
Newegg.com - LG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS90 - CD / DVD Burners

Keyboard: Razer Arctosa Wired Standard
Amazon.com: Razer Arctosa Gaming Keyboard- Black: Electronics

Mouse: Cobra e-3blue
Amazon.com: Cobra E-3lue High Precision Gaming Mouse with Side Control 1600dpi: Computers & Accessories

(Cheapest mouse I could find, that had nice reviews...)

If you have any ideas on what I could sacrifice to improve other parts let me know! And if you find a better deal TELL ME! :)

Thanks for your input! (Newbie here in need of some help ;D)

Last edited by cibergatox; October 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: New items on the build
Old October 24, 2012, 07:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would ditch the 7770 crossfire that is costing you $270 and go for a gpu like the 7950 or 660ti which would run you about 300, but I you get a good deal the same price anyway, plus with a 7950 you would get 3 free games, I'm sure nvidia will have a promotion soon too. By doing this you avoid crossfire/sli issues and get a better single card, which you can always crossfire later if you feel the need
Old October 24, 2012, 11:06 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwiz23 View Post
I would ditch the 7770 crossfire that is costing you $270 and go for a gpu like the 7950 or 660ti which would run you about 300, but I you get a good deal the same price anyway, plus with a 7950 you would get 3 free games, I'm sure nvidia will have a promotion soon too. By doing this you avoid crossfire/sli issues and get a better single card, which you can always crossfire later if you feel the need
Good thinking, by doing this I could probably go for a cheaper PSU too right? maybe save a bit there and put that money in to the GPU (I went for a 1000w cuz some Tiger Direct guy recommended it, wasnt too sure about it though)

Would you say a 750w~850w PSU would be fine? (I wouldnt be planning on getting a second 660ti at least not anytime soon)

About the GPU setup, thats where I lack the most knowledge the model/number system they use is really complicated but i'm slowly getting there hehe Thanks for your input! I'll update the build as soon as I have the time!
Old October 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
Allstar

Absolutely, if you aren't going SLI or Crossfire then a 750w PSU would be more than enough. Stick with Corsair (not the builder series), Seasonic one preferably.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 24, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibergatox View Post
Good thinking, by doing this I could probably go for a cheaper PSU too right? maybe save a bit there and put that money in to the GPU (I went for a 1000w cuz some Tiger Direct guy recommended it, wasnt too sure about it though)

Would you say a 750w~850w PSU would be fine? (I wouldnt be planning on getting a second 660ti at least not anytime soon)

About the GPU setup, thats where I lack the most knowledge the model/number system they use is really complicated but i'm slowly getting there hehe Thanks for your input! I'll update the build as soon as I have the time!
At 750w you can run 2 GTX 660ti's anyways you could run that system on a good 550w.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have a 955BE @ 3.8 and a gtx 660 on an antec neo eco 520, you could probably run with a 500 if you wanted to, but I would go with a 750, probably the corsair tx750 so that you can crossfire do crossfire or sli later on

Also I would consider changing that vertex 4 to a Samsung 830, crucial m4, or intel 330/520. That's just a personal preference I guess but I see a lot more about bad OCD drives than about the competition, especially the ones I mentioned.... They are all fast, but I would want the most reliable drive I could get since I hate having to reinstall

Last edited by guitarwiz23; October 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:52 AM
Rookie

Ok I'll look a bit more into a nice 750w PSU
And about the SSD, sure! reliability is great so I'll do a bit of research on that too!

Thank you all for the tips!
Old October 24, 2012, 04:11 PM
Rookie

Well Between an Intel330(120gb) and CrucialM4(128gb) SSD both were priced at $100usd I think I'll go for the extra 8gb, not just for the extra but that particular model has a whole lot more reviews and they are great reviews too...

About the PSU!

I have two particular options in mind:

Seasonic X Series 760w 80 Plus Gold ($168usd)
Seasonic X760 Gold ATX 12V 24PIN 760W Active PFC 80PLUS Gold Modular SLI Ready Power Supply

or a

Corsair Professional 750w 80 Plus Silver ($109.99 for now... will be $147.99 in the future).
Corsair Professional HX750W 750W ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 140mm Fan

I don't know much about either brand it would be nice to get something better than 80 plus bronze, and fully modular, if anyone knows a better option point it out to me :)

I'm liking the Seasonic one better...

I think the only other thing I would like to set straight is my RAM, as I plan on doing some mild to medium video editing would I need more than 8gb? (RAM is cheap now so i guess 16gb is a viable option) either way I know Corsair is a good brand, and was going for it, but I have my doubdts on what to get exactly some advice in that area would be awesome :)

Also any ideas for a slightly better motherboard? I've been reading more reviews about the asrock I listed and they seem to get worse and worse

Thank you all for your reply!

Last edited by cibergatox; October 24, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm not sure but some corsair psu are seasonic made.... If you just like the seasonic go for it but you may save some money with the corsair. I almost got a crucial m4 for my Mac because of te gret things I heard, ended up with a Samsung 830 which I love, both great drives, when I finally get another it will be whichever of those have the better price
Old October 24, 2012, 07:53 PM
Rookie

Well by the time I'll be buying the corsair one will be just under the Seasonic PSU nd for the 80 Plus gold rating I think iits ok a few $$ in difference so ill probably go for that one if I dont see a better option :)

About the SSD I think ill go for the M4 1cent cheaper + more storage + better reviews haha

Im still looking for a motherboard that fits (good price, overclockable) anything I should be particularly looking for? (I would be new to OC'ing so i would want something idiot-proof/easy to do hehe)