Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culbrelai View Post
Proof? Do you have an example of this paradigm shift? A first step in this direction?

I can claim things on the internet too.

I am space jesus, hollowed be thy name
The adoption of using a GPU for what were formerly CPU related tasks is not an unknown quantity. If you are interested in proof from your own personal research, you may Googling the term "GPGPU computing" will yield substantial results to sustain Generic User #2's claim.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

My System Specs

No, its not wrong, and I never said it was wrong advice.

There is no such thing as wrong advice. I was merely looking for answers to questions I posed, not questions people pose to me...

Believe it or not, I only bought the case. (Cosmos II) There is still time to change the mobo and such. Still looks like Xeons to me.

Either way, back to the questions.

Never overclocked before, seems easy enough. Gafanden seems to think there is some "skill" involved.

Do you need higher RAM then 1600mhz or 1333mhz or, as the Xeon e5620 only supports 1033... how does that work?
Old October 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Never overclocked before, seems easy enough. Gafanden seems to think there is some "skill" involved
it's me who say that........ so you gone make your first OC on a dual CPU boards
Old October 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So, you've never overclocked before and you want to dive in on the trickiest OC'ing board ever produced? When the SR-2's actually work, rather than failing spectacularly out of the box, they are the nastiest to get stable I've ever heard of. At one point we had 14 members here folding on SR-2's. There's only a couple left for a good reason. Do yourself a favor and search for threads on the SR-2 here. Spend an hour reading through them. Then you'll understand why multiple people have warned you off it.

If you are really hooked on the more threads are better than less no matter the speed, go to a 4P Opteron board with 80 cores on board.

Good luck.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Ew, AMD.

I'll search though, I dont know why they'd be hard to get stable, considering based on what I understand about overclocking so far...

Lowest goal... see if its stable... if yes... continue to low-medium goal... see if stable... continue. Although I'm sure I will see when I get it =P
Old October 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Sounds like you will get more bragging rights with a 3930 than your xeons. Also like your stuck in your ways and for a beginner that is a hard way to learn, expensive too when you have to replace the system a few years earlier because you bought something already outdated and slower.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Please don't attempt to demean me.

Okay.

At least now we're getting somewhere.

What if both Xeons are overclocked to 3.5GHZ and the 3930k overclocked to its max stable.

Then what? It was my understanding that two processors comparing to one was comparing apples to oranges because they work differently...
They do work differently, one works better than two. More performance per thread = better in a larger range of tasks. More threads with less performance per thread = better in very few tasks.

Also Xeons aren't exactly meant to be overclocked so it is very difficult to get them stable. There are a lot more factors than just "unstable add some voltage", your current RAM speeds could be causing instability with your CPU's and then you need to play with those and then you need to mess with your timings which then leads you to have to mess with your RAM voltage. Then you have the problem in that gen that you need to strike the perfect balance between increased BCLK and multipliers. Sometimes lowering the multipliers and giving a big kick the the BCLK works best, sometimes it is the opposite, sometimes it ends up in the middle.

While it is true overlocking in this day and age is pretty easy on equipment made for it, it really is not easy on an SR-2 with two Xeons, expert overclockers have trouble with them. Also I believe 3.0Charlie has had to RMA many SR-2's because they kept breaking on him when he was trying to OC. I don't even remember why but there is a reason his nickname is "I kill SR-2's".

Overclocking the 3930k is easy increase the multiplier, if it is unstable and you want to go higher add voltage. When you hit your desired clock and/or temperature and voltage thresholds you stop. Expert overclockers could squeeze out a little more but it is easy. On the SR-2 a small change could mean big problems and you might not know where to start to fix them.

Honestly the 3930k will outperform the Xeons in almost every task and that includes benchmarking, don't count on getting Xeons past 3.0. No point in paying that much more for 2 more cores and 4 more threads when you aren;t going to get more performance out of them.

Last edited by JJThomp; October 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Well, I'll set out to prove you wrong and reach 3.5 or 4.0, of which they're easily capable according to Toms Hardware

They were not meant to be overclocked yet they are based on the same platform as the i7s. I find that notion funny. Fortunately I found several helpful places on overclocking who seem to know quite a lot about it, even with SR-2s. When I brough up my setup to them, they did not even bat an eye. I'm not really worried about it considering they said it is excessively hard to fry a component, you'd have to put voltages ridiculously high. The notion of an expert overclocker also makes me laugh. Whom decides when you are expert? Are their awards for overclocking? Lol, please. They're numbers on a console, with formulas.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Well, I'll set out to prove you wrong and reach 3.5 or 4.0, of which they're easily capable according to Toms Hardware

They were not meant to be overclocked yet they are based on the same platform as the i7s. I find that notion funny. Fortunately I found several helpful places on overclocking who seem to know quite a lot about it, even with SR-2s. When I brough up my setup to them, they did not even bat an eye. I'm not really worried about it considering they said it is excessively hard to fry a component, you'd have to put voltages ridiculously high. The notion of an expert overclocker also makes me laugh. Whom decides when you are expert? Are their awards for overclocking? Lol, please. They're numbers on a console, with formulas.
Have fun... I wish you luck but don't say we didn't Warn you. I wouldn't recommend bragging here because most people will not be impressed. Especially the people who told you that you will have less performance.
Old October 26, 2012, 12:07 AM
Banned

My System Specs

You don't brag on forums silly =P

You brag on games.

Hey.

I have two processors.

And You dont

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Anyway thanks
Closed Thread