Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2012, 09:17 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Peer pressure is bad, you know =P

I want this rig to last as long as possible. Gaming components tend to fail earlier than professional components. Xeons are built to last.

Lots of ways aren't the best to go when it comes with computers. For example, on that loadout you have, OCZ SSDs have been known to fail the most of all. (High failure rate of OCZ SSDs yields answers that raise troubling questions | Windows Secrets Lounge) Not to mention RAM, as I've said, over 1600mhz is a ploy for rich script kiddies with their parents credit card numbers to spend more for tiny gains in performance.

Just the way you can pick apart my configuration, I can pick apart yours. I will have 16 cores, you will only have 12. Both of mine (if everything turns out okay) will be running at 3.5GHZ. 16 cores at 3.5GHZ vs 12 at 4.5.

Its a matter of preference.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culbrelai View Post
I want this rig to last as long as possible. Gaming components tend to fail earlier than professional components. Xeons are built to last.
Xeons are not anything different at all. In fact, in some cases they are the same processor, like the
Xeon X3220 or Q6600. A Xeon won't outlast anything. In fact, the only things that are going to make a difference to longevity is how little voltage you run through it and what temperature you run it at. That being said, I've never seen a processor die, overclocked or otherwise. Mine are always overclocked and they run without fail until I get rid of them. I change them out because they are too slow for what I want and not because they die.

Quote:
Just the way you can pick apart my configuration, I can pick apart yours. I will have 16 cores, you will only have 12. Both of mine (if everything turns out okay) will be running at 3.5GHZ. 16 cores at 3.5GHZ vs 12 at 4.5.
As most programs are not multi threaded and / or do not scale well above 4 threads I'm still betting your 16 core setup will feel slower than the 12 core I suggested, simply because of the 1.0ghz+ overclock.... not to mention you're going with old hardware which is slower at the same ghz.

I've also seen too many people have problems with SR2 setups vs the alternate.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:47 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Hmm, the SR-2 reviews I've looked at seem flawless, and EVGA... everything seems to be of quality.

And more to that point, can you guys comment on these brands? So I have more to go on. Particularly the ones in the 2nd category.

I heard something concerning regarding 1500w power supplies. That with a US outlet, 1500w power supplies can somehow hurt it, or the wiring in your house? Is this true? Also, how do you know if your power supply will support your motherboard? I've heard you need some sort of special connectors for the SR-2?

Oh, and what cords that will not come with the power supply, mobo, etc I will need to buy?

Computer Brands I believe are quality

G Skill
Silverstone (from what I've heard, although no experience on this one)
Corsair
Patriot
nVidia
EVGA
Intel - (have had their processors for years, not one failed... ever)
ASUS
Seagate
Western Digital
MSI (mostly because of my MSI Force 1761 ...)
Gigabyte (The old i7 960 I mentioned uses a Gigabyte Mobo and has worked out fine)
LG
Lite-On
NZXT (heard their stuff was good, most reviews of everything they make are positive)
Razer
Bigfoot Networks

Computer Brands I do not know enough about to classify

Thermaltake
Cooler Master (although with the Cosmos II I just bought we'll see)
Kingston
Mushkin
Prolimachtech
Noctua (again, i'll see when I get the CPU coolers)
Thermalright
Zalman
Xigmatek
Crucial (heard their SSDs are spectacular)
Creative
HT Omega
ADATA (although I have a really nice USB 3.0 from them ...)
Hitatchi (I want one of their 4TB HDDs, eventually)
Lian Li
Enermax
XFX
PNY
Seasonic
Lepa
Kingwin
In-Win
Antec
Nec
Viewsonic
Rosewill

Brands I distrust, know are of crappy quality, or otherwise have bad reviews

AMD (and by extension ATi)
OCZ (lots of SSD and power supply failures according to lots of reviews)
Sony (at least with computer components)

Last edited by Culbrelai; October 25, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:03 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Switch up the ram and SSD then. Save even more money if you'd like. Truth is that computer will blow yours away and last just as long. 16 cores does not mean squat when in single core applications the i7 is doubly fast.

I'm going to stop here because your very set in your ways. But, I'm going to say again that your definitely not getting your moneys worth.
Old October 25, 2012, 02:26 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Bond, well, for one thing, the SR-2 only supports triple channel memory.

Doesn't support 1600mhz ram either, nor does the CPU I do believe. Not to mention RAM speeds fail to change anything in benchmarks.

I didn't come here for suggestions... I came for answers -_-
Quote:
SSDs are overpriced per gigabyte, plus I would have to separate my OS and storage and I want everything to be in one place.

SSD doesn't affect game performance anyways, only loading.

Plus, they die faster when you video edit with them, etc.
Quote:
Peer pressure is bad, you know =P

Lots of ways aren't the best to go when it comes with computers. For example, on that loadout you have, OCZ SSDs have been known to fail the most of all. (High failure rate of OCZ SSDs yields answers that raise troubling questions | Windows Secrets Lounge) Not to mention RAM, as I've said, over 1600mhz is a ploy for rich script kiddies with their parents credit card numbers to spend more for tiny gains in performance.

Its a matter of preference.
SSDs bring the best performance ratio, when added to a system over ANY other component. And no, they do not die faster. Been using them for a few years now (quite a few of them), and I have lost only one ever since (a Gskill).
The SR2 is an over-priced piece of crap, when compared to today's Intel offering - especially for what you intend to do with it. What's my experience with the SR2 you ask? I've had 4 of them. They will die much faster than any other gamer board.

Look at the title under my forum username. Tells all.

Have fun building a rig for bragging rights YOU will have to believe in, when all other will basically laugh all the way to the bank. I mean, come on: dual E5620s? At least go for X5680s...

ps. I won't even discuss your computer brands...
Old October 25, 2012, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In your first post, you mentioned how you are new to putting computers together, which to me demonstrates an overall lack of knowledge when it comes to spec'ing out parts.

Meanwhile, this forum has a plethora of experienced system builders who have been building high end systems for years. And yet you choose to ignore the advice that each and every one of them give you. Next, you'll probably try to discredit Charlie 3.0 by telling him that, no, SR-2's are actually the most reliable motherboards ever made, and will always perform better than an X-79 ASUS board.

Do yourself a favour, arm yourself with up to date tech, and build your computer on an X79 platform with an SSD boot drive. You will never, ever look back.

EDIT: I also disagree with your position on AMD (ATI doesn't exist anymore, it's all AMD now). They're an underdog company when it comes to processors, and on the other side, they make fantastic video cards.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; October 25, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Computer Brands I do not know enough about to classify
Thermaltake - make good coolers, bad PSUs
Cooler Master - make nice cases, previously bad PSUs, not sure about current offerings.
Kingston - Long time builder of RAM products. Can't really go wrong from my experience.
Noctua - make nice fans, coolers are well made.
Thermalright - overall good products, I've been happy with my purchases.
Zalman - good products typically focused on being quiet.
Lian Li - very nice cases, one of the best mfg for cases
Enermax - I haven't used these guys in years, but I believe they have good PSUs still.
XFX - No complaints. Products seem of high quality. PSUs are typically Seasonic.
Seasonic - In my opinion the overall best PSU mfg out there.
Antec - all good products now I believe. Earlier PSUs made people hate them but now the PSUs are very good
Nec - More of a professional brand it seems, nice products, internal inspection shows good quality parts for their monitors, etc.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:01 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
SSDs bring the best performance ratio, when added to a system over ANY other component. And no, they do not die faster. Been using them for a few years now (quite a few of them), and I have lost only one ever since (a Gskill).
The SR2 is an over-priced piece of crap, when compared to today's Intel offering - especially for what you intend to do with it. What's my experience with the SR2 you ask? I've had 4 of them. They will die much faster than any other gamer board.

Look at the title under my forum username. Tells all.

Have fun building a rig for bragging rights YOU will have to believe in, when all other will basically laugh all the way to the bank. I mean, come on: dual E5620s? At least go for X5680s...

ps. I won't even discuss your computer brands...

Uh huh, its overpriced crap? Then why did you buy it the second, third, fourth time? Right. That's totally logical. Either you're fibbing... or...

I can always make more money and if I do want to upgrade the processors I can, so instead of not helping me bashing my planned rig why don't you just answer my questions?

They dont even need a full sentence to describe these brands, you could go "Thermaltake, Crap" and I Would consider it weighted with other reviews.

Quote:
In your first post, you mentioned how you are new to putting computers together, which to me demonstrates an overall lack of knowledge when it comes to spec'ing out parts.

No, not new. I don't find it to be incredibly hard to put together a computer, everything seems to be pretty A to A and B to B. What I am unsure about are brands and such. I have listed the brands I have good experiences with based upon my other configuring of succesful computers from ibuypower.com and xoticpc.com

I am not a know it all like some, but I learn more each time and this time will be even better because ill actually be doing everything myself and have the pride that I did that...

Quote:
Meanwhile, this forum has a plethora of experienced system builders who have been building high end systems for years. And yet you choose to ignore the advice that each and every one of them give you. Next, you'll probably try to discredit Charlie 3.0 by telling him that, no, SR-2's are actually the most reliable motherboards ever made, and will always perform better than an X-79 ASUS board.
Would you blame you're tire salesman for a flat tire?

Same case here. If it doesn't work out, that is my business. I have asked nothing about wether my setup is good in everyones opinion because frankly I don't care. Just like cars, each will have a different experience and views will be warped based on that. Arguing about computer parts is like politics -_-

Instead of trying to spread your views mercilessly against the heathen, why not simply answer what he is asking? Its as if you're trying to start an argument.

Quote:
Do yourself a favour, arm yourself with up to date tech, and build your computer on an X79 platform with an SSD boot drive. You will never, ever look back.
Not interested. Then, after I become used to that SSD, every computer I will ever have in the future will have to match that.

Quote:

EDIT: I also disagree with your position on AMD (ATI doesn't exist anymore, it's all AMD now). They're an underdog company when it comes to processors, and on the other side, they make fantastic video cards.
You probably have had different experiences to what I have had.

For example, my ATI Radeon 5770 in the i7 960 machine had graphics lag on a game from 2003.

Not the games fault. Every Radeon card that tried to play the game, still had graphics lag.

Flawless graphics on a nVidia card. I know most are only worried about how much ultraness they can get from their BF3 settings but unlike most I play games for gameplay and not entirely for graphics, so they permanently lost me as a customer. As for their processors, lot of cheap junk because their processor speeds are calculated as the sum of their cores. With intel processors, each core is the same speed which the processor is rated at.

EDIT:

Quote:
Thermaltake - make good coolers, bad PSUs
Cooler Master - make nice cases, previously bad PSUs, not sure about current offerings.
Kingston - Long time builder of RAM products. Can't really go wrong from my experience.
Noctua - make nice fans, coolers are well made.
Thermalright - overall good products, I've been happy with my purchases.
Zalman - good products typically focused on being quiet.
Lian Li - very nice cases, one of the best mfg for cases
Enermax - I haven't used these guys in years, but I believe they have good PSUs still.
XFX - No complaints. Products seem of high quality. PSUs are typically Seasonic.
Seasonic - In my opinion the overall best PSU mfg out there.
Antec - all good products now I believe. Earlier PSUs made people hate them but now the PSUs are very good
Nec - More of a professional brand it seems, nice products, internal inspection shows good quality parts for their monitors, etc.
Thank you very much, useful post. All of your considerations match the reviews ive found, for example, that Thermaltake makes good cases and coolers but their PSUs are of questionable quality. Useful posts like these are good for discovering companies like Seasonic, which I have never heard of prior to a few days ago, and buying from these manufacturers encourages them to continue doing good.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:42 PM
Allstar

why are you feeding the troll ?
Old October 25, 2012, 06:12 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Do you video edit? Even occasionally I have read that they can damage SSDs quite easily.

Uh huh, its overpriced crap? Then why did you buy it the second, third, fourth time? Right. That's totally logical. Either you're fibbing... or...

I can always make more money and if I do want to upgrade the processors I can, so instead of not helping me bashing my planned rig why don't you just answer my questions?
Video edition? Sure do, with much better hardware than the SR2 and your selected CPUs. But you would not be interested to know, because my parts are much cheaper than your proposal. And no, it does not kill my SSD (OCZ Revodrive 3, yes, the same company you don't trust...)

For your information, I bought the 1st SR-2, and went through 3 RMAs in 4 months. I would not touch this board again, even with a 10' pole.

Your call. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
why are you feeding the troll ?
Because it's fun.