Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2012, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Overall it seems like you just picked a lot of expensive parts. Some of them are very good, but if you don't have a specific need for server style CPU (or 2 of them) then there is no reason to get them. For gaming go for 3930k if you want expensive and useful for gaming, or if you don't want to spend all the money drop to a i7 3770k. For the ram up it to at least 1600mhz, but with your budget I would be going 1866mhz (2x8gb is more than enough).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 23, 2012, 07:28 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Bond, well, for one thing, the SR-2 only supports triple channel memory.

Doesn't support 1600mhz ram either, nor does the CPU I do believe. Not to mention RAM speeds fail to change anything in benchmarks.

I didn't come here for suggestions... I came for answers -_-
Old October 23, 2012, 08:43 PM
Allstar

Quote:
IMO - New technology = expense, sometimes instability... older technology = less expense, higher reliability, better support, etc.
Doesn't really apply in this case. While there are some cases where CPU have some unusual fault, those most likely happen in corner cases. What kind of coding do you actually do? I can't really see VS2010, JDev, Eclipse using more than 4 cores. With a 6C/12T machine, you should have enough power to run a dev environment plus a dev DB at the same time. Finally, most games don't use more than 1 thread still.

I noticed your build is also missing SSD. If you got 4K USD to burn and missing a SSD seem weird.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:46 PM
Banned

My System Specs

SSDs are overpriced per gigabyte, plus I would have to separate my OS and storage and I want everything to be in one place.

SSD doesn't affect game performance anyways, only loading.

Plus, they die faster when you video edit with them, etc.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culbrelai View Post
Bond, well, for one thing, the SR-2 only supports triple channel memory.

Doesn't support 1600mhz ram either, nor does the CPU I do believe. Not to mention RAM speeds fail to change anything in benchmarks.

I didn't come here for suggestions... I came for answers -_-
Fair enough....Noctua NH-D14 do a good job but you will need low profile ram.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:22 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Fair enough....Noctua NH-D14 do a good job but you will need low profile ram.
Thanks.

Damn, good to know. I'll search around, see if G.Skill has any low profile.

Also, do you guys know a better tech website then NewEgg?

I just saw them do something that is really dispicable...

A few days ago, I looked up the price of the Cosmos II on their website. $320 without shipping.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...diculous-1.png There's you're proof, in fact, that is from today.

Just today, they emailed me, among other "deals" 10% off all computer cases. I was like "Wow, maybe ill make the jump on the Cosmos II now"

Went back to NewEgg, the price jumped to $350. Who do they think they're fooling? With shipping, with their "deal" the total cost would be $325.

If I had bought it when it was $320, with 10$ shipping it would be $330. So I would be saving... $5. I don't think so. That is a QVC-esque scam. So that is why I need a new online tech place.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

NCIX is good better in canada than the states though. Also those Xeons at 3.5 are going to bottleneck you in some games still, my i5 2500k bottlenecks me in some games at 3.3.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culbrelai View Post
SSDs are overpriced per gigabyte, plus I would have to separate my OS and storage and I want everything to be in one place.

SSD doesn't affect game performance anyways, only loading.

Plus, they die faster when you video edit with them, etc.
if you're vidoe editting, your stuff is going to be in multiple locations anyways...unless you're seriously going to try and do it with one drive head. Also, you plan on keeping less than 2TB of programs and video files?

EDIT:

is there actually a good reason to keep everything on one drive? I've heard this so many times....apparently the concept of two drive letters is really confusing to some people (if it disturbs you, I really recommend changing the drive icon to the doler icon, one way or another).

i mean, do they also keep everything in one folder as well?
Old October 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
Banned

My System Specs

I'm really OCD about how I organize my computer (but I think organization IRL is a waste of time)

and having multiple programs on different drives, and me forgetting which ones I put where would leave me to an endless annoyed search.

Not really fun.

I just wish I could use the 4TB Hitatchi drive as an OS but it isnt possible apparently :*(

EDIT: Just got a steal of a Cosmos 2 for only $300...

Amazon, you are my savior.

Last edited by Culbrelai; October 24, 2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:05 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Basically it comes down to this. Your getting less performance per dollar than you could be. For that kind of money you can buy an incredible computer. You seem very very set in your ways but everyone here is steering you in the other direction for a reason. If everyone tells you that it's not the best way to go, it probably isn't.

I think your best bet is the 3930, overclock it on air to 4.5GHz. and get some samsung ram and overclock the ram to 2000... 2x GTX 680 is absolutely overkill but if you have that kind of money! Go for it :)

Here is a PC from NCIX that I built that should theoretically blow that one away, costing a fraction more but including an SSD and a CPU cooler:

i7 3930K - 629.98
Noctua NHD14 - 89.99
MSI GeForce GTX680 Twin Frozr x2 - 919.98
WD 2TB Caviar drive - 99.99
OCZ Agility 256Gbyte SSD - 169.99
Corsair 1200watt PSU - 319.99
G Skill 16GB 2133 memory - 167.89
ASUS VE248H - 219.99
CM Cosmos - 349.99
Asus Sabertooth x79 - 324.99

Total : 3292.77, and you can do a lot better on the pricing.

Anyway, I had a blast building damn near my dream computer as of right now :)

I just don't understand sacrificing price / performance when you don't have to!

Either way it's a fantastic build, can't wait to see it assembled.

PS. The memory I put on there is a bit of a farce. I'd honestly do my best to get my hands on a pair of Samsung low voltage memory and O/C it to 2100+. I think Amazon has it for pretty cheap.
Closed Thread