Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2012, 12:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Kingston 3K is a good drive. Its a SF2281 controller paired with Micron branded Onfi 2 "3K" (ie 3000 p/e cycles) NAND....Think OCZ Vertex 3...or any of the MANY other rebadges of this combo. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 22, 2012, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
Is it a dumb idea to install mint on the 500 GB HDD since i'd have to change the boot order to load it?
If your motherboard supports a "boot menu" it's pretty easy to switch OS without actually going into setup. The other options are to install GRUB to the 500GB HDD and set it to boot (since Grub can boot Windows) or use the Windows bootloader to point to Grub, although I haven't tried that trick with Grub2. In either case, install Windows first.
Old October 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
Thanks for the tips, Frontier. I feel like I can't pass up a 128 GB SSD for $69, eve if it's not the best available. I appreciate you pointing me in the direction of the firmware upgrade.

I'm still unsure of if I want to dualboot win7 and Mint though. I feel like I could probably get both on it, but that it would severely limit space and I'd always have to keep an eye on how much room there is when loaded new applications...

Is it a dumb idea to install mint on the 500 GB HDD since i'd have to change the boot order to load it?

Thanks!

EDIT: I pulled the trigger on that SSD before the promo ended.
It's not dumb but it is a smal PITA... you really shouldn't have problems... with 20gb windows 7 and 2gb swap and 15 gb mint+ 2gb swap once you put drivers in there you are easily under 60 GB. Just make sure your downloads and internet cache go onto the 500gb drive.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:15 PM
Rookie

Hmmm, well maybe I'll still the dual boot then. I just finished ordering all the parts, so this build is happening soon :-)