Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2012, 03:17 AM
Rookie

Default I need help on my Gaming Rig. (Update..)

It's really embarrassing to tell that I have a little to no idea about selecting custom parts for gaming rigs. Especially Motherboards(Socket compatibility freaks me out.), CPU, and choosing PSU.. and thanks to Linus' videos I somehow manage to pick parts for myself..

Here's what I currently made.

Case: Coolermaster HAF XM
Power Supply: Corsair 750w TX750M 80PLUS Bronze (Modular)
MotherBoard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.80 GHz
Cooler: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
GPU: MSi GTX 670 2GB GDDR5 Power Up Edition
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 CL9
HDD: 1.0TB Seagate Barracuda
SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB
Optical: ASUS 24X DVDwriter SATA DRW-24B5ST

Here's some additional info.
  • It will be used mainly for gaming, Image Processing (Photoshop and Lightroom) and light video editing.
  • Not really on a tight budget but i prefer not going over $2000.
  • I'm from Philippines and I will be buying locally..
  • I prefer Intel and nVidia.
  • My current parts are very old.. (IDE optical and hard drives) so, I will be building from scratch.
  • I will not use any overclocking. (Because I really don't know how to.)
  • I'll be buying the parts on december.
  • I'll run games at 1080p High to Ultra settings.. (Mostly MMO games.)
  • About the specific technology.. all i want is the SSD..

I'm actually going to buy a gaming laptop this Christmas(MSI GT70 one), unfortunately, these laptops ain't cheap especially in my country! That's why I decided to build my own rig..

I posted here to check if these parts are compatible with each other..

EDIT: if you guys have better options on my parts.. feel free to post.. I need all help that i can get

UPDATED:
It's been a while since the last time I posted here, and december is fast approaching...
I saw another dealer locally who sells wider variety of parts than the previous one..
Here's some of the changes I made from the build...

Case: Antec Eleven Hundred --> Coolermaster HAF XM
Power Supply: FSP AURUM Series 80+ GOLD (600w) --> Corsair 750w TX750M 80PLUS Bronze (Modular)
MotherBoard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 --> ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.80 GHz
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO --> Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
GPU: Asus GTX670 DCII 2gb ddr5 256bit --> MSi GTX 670 2GB GDDR5 Power Up Edition
Memory: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb 1600 (12800CL9D) 2x4 --> Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 CL9
HDD: 1.0TB Seagate Barracuda
SSD: 120gb Intel Sata3 SSD --> Corsair Force Series 3 120GB
Optical: ASUS 24X DVDwriter SATA DRW-24B5ST

Last edited by NagatoBloodrage; November 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old October 20, 2012, 05:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey no need to be embarrassed. We were all in your shoes at one point in our life. :) Be careful though as your new hobby very well might turn into an addiction.

Your parts selection looks very good. You got the right chipset and socket type for your ivy bridge processor. The only thing I might say is that 800w power supply is way overkill for your system. I did the same thing. :P I have 750w for a dinky 670 and 3570k also(used to be 2500k). You could easily get away with 5-550w and that gives you some to spare but if you want extra room for possible SLI and upgrades in the future then you might stick with what you have.

You say you won't overclock because you don't know how but I think you will end up overclocking since you have the parts for it eventually. It is inevitable :P I mean you chose the oc potential parts subconsciously for a reason right? hehehehe. In that case I might also suggest upgrading your cpu cooler. While the 212+ is a great cooler and great bang for the buck it is not a top performer and there are other models out there that can do a much better job cooling. You might find it useful with all that extra heat ivy bridge throws out.

Also might I tempt you to purchase an SSD? You won't regret it!

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!
Old October 20, 2012, 06:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

+1 about the power supply comment but if it were me I would go for a 600 just to make myself feel better than a 500 for those partsFor the intel ssd look at the 330 series for budget and the 520 series for the better drive. If you aren't tied to intel necessarily for the ssd I strongly recommend the Samsung 830, I have 2 of them and they are great,very reliable, and can be found around 100-130 bucks most of the time for a 128gb
I would go with the hyper 212 evo cooler, yes ivy runs hotter but ivy can handle hotter as well. My 3570K with 212 evo is at 4.5ghz, highest I have seen is 71 stressing, 60 gaming (handling physx for borderlands) and 50ish playing games that don't load the cpu as much, idles around 30-35
Old October 20, 2012, 07:32 AM
Rookie

Default SSD!

+1 on the SSD, they are a game changer! My buddy has a pc with one and it is amazing! No thinking time!
Old October 20, 2012, 10:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Hey no need to be embarrassed. We were all in your shoes at one point in our life. :) Be careful though as your new hobby very well might turn into an addiction.
WELL SAID BUDDY!!!!

And another +1 to the SSD! But can always be added in after!

Intel i7 Quad Core 920 @3.8GHz | eVGA X58 x3 SLI | HAF 932 | Corsair 1000w | WD SSD 256gb | WD 3200 1TB | Seagate 2TB | 6x2GB DDR3 Mushkin XP3| MSI GTX 680+EK WB| 24" BENQ E2400HD | 19" Samsung 953BW

Swiftech 655 | Swiftech MCR220 | Apogee GTZ+1366 | EK Spinbay Res | EK Waterblock | Primochill 5/8" | Bitspower Compression Fittings
Old October 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ceasar View Post
WELL SAID BUDDY!!!!

That can be a pain v_v just do it in the beginning if you can to save the trouble if moving things around and what not later (just a useful tip I regretted not doing it right off the bat in my rig)
Old October 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
Rookie

Thank you so much for your input guys.. It really really helped me out.. for now, I'm going to spend my time watching people build their rigs on youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Your parts selection looks very good. You got the right chipset and socket type for your ivy bridge processor. The only thing I might say is that 800w power supply is way overkill for your system. I did the same thing. :P I have 750w for a dinky 670 and 3570k also(used to be 2500k). You could easily get away with 5-550w and that gives you some to spare but if you want extra room for possible SLI and upgrades in the future then you might stick with what you have.

You say you won't overclock because you don't know how but I think you will end up overclocking since you have the parts for it eventually. It is inevitable :P I mean you chose the oc potential parts subconsciously for a reason right? hehehehe. In that case I might also suggest upgrading your cpu cooler. While the 212+ is a great cooler and great bang for the buck it is not a top performer and there are other models out there that can do a much better job cooling. You might find it useful with all that extra heat ivy bridge throws out.
now that you mentioned sli, I actually haven't though about my future upgrades yet.. but knowing myself, I might actually go for an sli..

btw, will a rig with 600 watt PSU have less electricity consumption than 800 watt or more??, assuming that they have exactly same parts other than PSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwiz23 View Post
the intel ssd look at the 330 series for budget and the 520 series for the better drive. If you aren't tied to intel necessarily for the ssd I strongly recommend the Samsung 830, I have 2 of them and they are great,very reliable, and can be found around 100-130 bucks most of the time for a 128gb
I'll take that into account, I settled on Intel 330 series because I think it is the best that i could get at this moment, local shop here only offers intel, corsair and sandisk ssds.. I guess I have to look somewhere else.. aside from your recommendation, are there any more good SSD brands i need to look into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ceasar View Post
I actually never knew SSDs, My initial build doesn't have one, and the GPU has 680 instead of 670.. until I saw some videos about ssd and it was amazing.. it became a must have for me right away haha..
Old October 21, 2012, 07:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Crucial is another good ssd brand, from what I have heard/read I would stick to intel, crucial, or Samsung if you want a good reliable ssd. Any of those 3 will perform great! I'm considering a 330 from intel for my next upgrade in my second system but I do like my two samsungs
Old October 21, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't know much about that PSU other than it is made by Andyson and Andyson makes some really good PSU's (Ultra X3 1000w) and some pretty bad ones (Ultra X4 1200w) so I would be slightly weary of that one. I can't seem to find any in depth reviews on it so I can't really say much about it.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here's my list of good ssd's: intel 520, Corsair Neutron, crucial m4, Corsair force series, OCZ drives if you can get one for really cheap (they may go bankrupt, could affect warranty/RMA)