Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2012, 11:31 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Nice setup. I haven't had the chance to play with the new FM2 chips yet, but this looks like a nice build.
Old November 2, 2012, 03:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Buying another HD6670

OPTION C is the winner.

I've ordered an ASUS HD6670 with a displayport and 1 GB of DDR5 VRAM Asus EAH6670 Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort at Memory Express

I will have a chance to check out the rig's performance running the A10 alone, with one HD6670 in dual-graphic mode and then two HD 6670's crossfired (through PCI I understand not a bridge).

I never did get a reply to my query to Memory Express about returning my non-displayport equipped HD6670. There return policy is clearly states that I had seven days for a return and it took me two weeks to realize I had a problem. I checked out Newegg.ca's policy and they give customers a 30 day window to return unwanted items. SO...

I was trying to order the new HD6670 through Newegg.ca but they only ship UPS and UPS would not accept my rural box address or my office street address in town. Called Newegg's 1-800 number to find out how to get their system to accept a rural address but after a half hour on hold gave up and ordered the card and an active displayport adapter through Memory Express. On the upside I got Memory Express's price match and cheap Canada Post $4.99 flat rate shipping which saved me more than enough to pay for the 2 year extended warranty on the card. I just have to hope that I won't be returning this after the seven day window closes.

I've downloaded 3DMark, Sandra Lite & Novabench. Any other recommended benchmarking freeware that will help me see what I've got. Oh, I also have FRAPS.
Old November 3, 2012, 02:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default COSTING Don`t do it!

I told myself I wouldn`t do it but curiousity got the best of me.

I compiled all my receipts and calculated how much I`ve spent so far on this new rig.

Keep in mind the whole point of the new rig was my aversion to paying $180 or so for 8 GB of DDR2 RAM so my old rig would run Photoshop Elements without getting ˛ut of RAM errors.

All things included, the PC components, new drives, S&H, warranties, extras like the flight stick and a wack of new games the total rings it at a shocking $1,678

Had I properly counted the cost before I got going I would have done it differently.

To be fair that is a lot of little extras. If I was more careful with my pennies I would have bought the A10 but only 16 GB RAM and the basic components to get the system running fine. Those parts total just $558 (+ taxes + S&H + extra warranties) but for under $600 I would have a new A10 Rig running with 16 GB RAM, one HD6670 2GB card in dual graphics mode, still in Windows 7 and I`d just have the two LCD monitors I already owned. And really I don`t even know if I needed the graphics card at all. Maybe the A10 would have run what I wanted it to do (Adobe Photoshop Elements). And I would not be wasting much time on gaming.

So basically the little extras almost total twice the cost of the basic machine. These Extras include an extra 16GB of RAM (which meant I needed to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro to access those extra GB of RAM) a 128 GB SSD - because I was told that was the way to get great performance increase, two HD 6670`s to run three monitors (plus the cost of that third monitor), a 2T hard drive (didn`t really need it but it was on sale!) a BlueRay DVD Burner which was not really needed after I found the IDE-SATA adaptor my old DVD Burner would have been adequate. I really didn`t need a new flight stick or steering wheel but got them anyway just for fun, if I didn`t get the games I didn`t need the controllers. I also spent a total of $83 on Memory Express`s extra warranties and $20 in shipping. If I knew then what I know now I could have saved by buying everything all at once in the store. (But probably would have been in sticker shock and not bought so many extra`s - funny how it creeps up on you when you buy parts one or two at a time.

This does not include the cost of the case, card reader, my 750 GB hard drive, external drives, network router, most cables and my initial two monitors, keyboard and mouse or software.

And that $1678 total includes $170 for software - almost all of it games.

I think Christmas came early for me this year.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Red face And one more thing

Well I found another LG E2040T on clearance at another Source store. At $89 marked down from $229.00 I just could not pass up the opportunity to have a pair of these fine screens on either side of my main 24 inch LCD. At some point this 24 inch LCD shall be retired and replaced with a 24 inch (or maybe larger) LED.

I`m just so impressed with the colour on the LED screen if I had not seen them side by each I would not have believed the colour differences.

SO by adding this ˛ne last thing to my A10 Rig and it is just $9 shy of $1800

But what a fine system it is.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
SO by adding this ˛ne last thing to my A10 Rig and it is just $9 shy of $1800
At those money you would have gotten a watercooled LGA2011 rig and have some spare change, it is about 1000$ to put one together.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Spending on Extras

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
At those money you would have gotten a watercooled LGA2011 rig and have some spare change, it is about 1000$ to put one together.
Really??

But would that include buying two LED monitors, blue ray optical drive, flight controller, wheel controller, extra 2T hard drive, SSD, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8 Pro, $170 in video games, etc etc etc. The rig itself was under $600 it was all the extra's that cost me. That and two graphics cards but together they total $170 and that is what I would have paid minumum for a graphics card for a "water cooled LGA2011" system - and that would be cheaping out on the video card.

It is my first DIY Rig - and I was not my usual frugal self pinching every penny.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:08 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Congratulations on your first build. :)

While the A10 is not my personal cup of tea it IS a good solid foundation which should give you years of fun.....just one thing. My condolences on Windows 8. :P
Since you are using W8 I recommend investing in Start8. Start8 for Windows« 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu
It helps makes windows 8 suck a bit less. Though the best investment you can make...is Windows 7. It makes Windows 8 soooo much better. :)~

ôif your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.ö - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 4, 2012, 09:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I am getting the hang of this Windows 8 thing, but I am finding compatibility issues. Even Norton Internet Security 2012 reports a compatibility problem when loading and turned into such I pain I uninstalled it and am running with MS Windows Defender that came with Windows 8 Pro. Any recommended security software I may wish to add? MS Office 2010 & Adobe Elements 10 seem to be working just fine. Somehow I broke Internet Explorer - it tries to load but I get error messages - one after another after another. Chrome is fine. Maybe I'll try Firefox. I can live without IE - but it was that new version 10 and I wanted to see if it was any better.

I even found that when installing X-Plane 10 the install screen was unreadable - and after thinking it must be a screen resolution thing and fiddling with that for a while I finally disabled Dual-Graphics mode and then it worked fine. Curiously once installed the program itself runs in dual-graphics mode just fine - well as fine as this novice pilot can make it run - I've crash landed every flight so far but I'll get the hang of it - I hope :)
Old November 8, 2012, 08:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default It's Done for now....

I thought I had posted this message but it does not seem to have been posted to the forum???

Anyway I just wanted to wrap up this thread by saying that my build is built.

I learned a lot building my first rig. I learned that I could do it, its built and it works.

There are several things I would do differently if I was to start again. I was leaning towards AMD's 8 Core FX 8150 but decided to save money by going for the A10 thinking I would rely on the integrated graphics card and save on the CPU & not have to buy a graphics card. That's not how it worked out, I now have two HD 6670's. That is the other thing I would do differently because now I understand that three monitors require a displayport so I'd never buy a card without one. If I knew then what I know now I probably would have gone for a FX 8150 on a Sabertooth board with a better video card like a HD 7770.

Now that I have two videocards my M style motherboard has no more room for another expansion card. At the moment this is not a problem but who knows what I'll want to add in the future and will not be able to add.

After some fiddling with the settings I was able to get those two HD 6670's to "CrossFireX"

I'm not sure whether I'd go Windows 8 again or not. Probably would but only if I can get this dual boot option to work where I can choose either Windows 7 or 8 on boot up.

Live and Learn.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 8, 2012, 08:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

awesome, you give me the courage to try the crossfire/sli world....soon enough...* evil stare at monitor.....