Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2012, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that when you hooked up the other drive that it still has the boot ( I cannot remember the name of it) thing of it so what is happening the OS is trying to boot from the other drive. I had the same problem and had to push my F5 key to select the drive I wanted to boot from and then run bcdedit program to fix the boot loader
Old October 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default What Not to Select in Windows 8

FINALLY I found out my problem with my awful tile display problem.

If you run Dual Graphics through AMD's Catalyst do not select enable dual graphics for application that do not have an association

IF you do, the Windows 8 Tiles get royally messed up and the pull down menus are cluttered with gibberish.

One little click and I'm back in business.

I was able to reload all of my programs - what a way to spend a day - inserting disks.

BUT it is good to go now.

What do you recommend to benchmark my system. Windows 8's Windows Experience Index gives my graphics performance a 5.1 out of 9.9 - I expected more than that. But I really don't know what to expect.

I also have not yet learned how to manual set the parameters for my RAM in BIOS - I can get to the window which displays all the settings but everything seems to be locked on "AUTOMATIC" maybe somebody who is running with ASUS's new graphical BIOS program can point me in the right direction 0R I could try reading the manual
Old October 28, 2012, 03:45 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
I was able to reload all of my programs - what a way to spend a day - inserting disks.
just rip the .isos off the disk....saves your sanity by a little bit.
Old October 28, 2012, 05:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Ripping .ISOS off the Disk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
just rip the .isos off the disk....saves your sanity by a little bit.
I have no idea what it means to 'rip the .isos off the disk' but if it saves my sanity it sounds like a good thing.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I read the manual - when in doubt read.
It seems that in the new graphical interface which has a mouse in the Bios screens (nice) but to adjust the timing of my RAM I needed to select the item I wanted to change and press the + (or -) key to cycle through the available options. I did just that and think I've manual set the RAM to the 1600 settings BUT when I get into Windows and look at the RAM in Ai (Asus's utility in windows) I still see settings below what I was expecting.

Old October 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
What do you recommend to benchmark my system.
Ignore WEI. "Benchmark" with applications you actually use (e.g. FPS in your game at settings you want to use). If the computer does what you want it to do, then stop there and be happy about it

On the other hand what you may want to try is some stability tests on your components:
Overclocking tools of the trade
I'd use MSI Kombustor to make sure the GPU is all good and Prime95 blend test or IntelBurnTest to verify CPU and RAM.

Quote:
I have no idea what it means to 'rip the .isos off the disk' but if it saves my sanity it sounds like a good thing.
I think that means taking the data on the disks and putting them in a drive image file (e.g. .iso, .mdf, or .img) on a hard drive so you can use something like VirtualCloneDrive to mount the disks. Even a cheap hard drive can read stuff from .ISO faster than an optical drive can read from disk.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

(Ninja'd by OP)

Quote:
I did just that and think I've manual set the RAM to the 1600 settings BUT when I get into Windows and look at the RAM in Ai (Asus's utility in windows) I still see settings below what I was expecting.
What does CPU-Z on the Memory and SPD tabs say?
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
Old October 31, 2012, 11:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default CPU-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
(Ninja'd by OP)

What does CPU-Z on the Memory and SPD tabs say?
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
Installed CPU-Z and it worked - unlike PC Wizard. It reports my memory as:
RAM : 32768 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 800 MHz (1:8) @ 10-10-10-30

Which means my manual setting did up my RAM performance to the 1600 Mhz level.

The SPD still shows 667 MHz - but I'm told that the SPD does not change and is not the speed that the memory is actually running at but an identifier built into the stick.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:03 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thumbs down Looking for a Solution

DANG - My new ASUS HD 6670 does not have a display port, and now that I have three monitors I wanted to set up the three way video display through eyefinity - BUT without a displayport on my video card this cannot be done. I'm a week over the limit for a return to Memory Express - I'm going to email them to see how rigid they are on this return policy but it looks like I'm hooped. I don't even think I can crossfire my ASUS HD 6670 with another HD 6670 which does have a display port. BUT that kinda defeats the savings of dual graphics in the first place. My APU does have a display port but that won't work if I've installed a DGC. I could return my new third monitor - or retire my smaller 18" monitor. Spent last night to 1:00 am setting up my three way display and trying to get it to work.

Old November 1, 2012, 08:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default My Options

I've been looking into my options

Option A is to simply return the new 20" LED Monitor I just bought yesterday and pocket the $98.00.

Option B is dependent on getting Memory Express to exchange the HD 6670 for a EAH6670 which does have a displayport, but I am over their seven day return window so it will depend on MemExpress to authorize a late return for exchange to the other 6670 with displayport. This video card is the DDR5 version - which will run as a DDR3 due to my dual-graphics with an APU using DDR3 RAM. It also means my VRAM drops from 2GB to 1GB.

Option C is to buy the EAH6670 and crossfire it with the existing HD 6670 - IF that is possible??? . Downside of that is that it defeats the benefit of buying an APU and I'm not sure if two HD6670's crossfired will deliver any more graphic power than the HD6670 linked via dual graphics to my APU. How does that work when one of the crossfired cards has 2GB of DDR3 and the other 1 GB of DDR5?

IF I go with Option A I could look at getting a 24" monitor at some point that would match my main 24" monitor I have now instead of two smaller ones on each side of the main 24". That would deliver a little more video real estate than my current 24" + 18" but not that much more.

I'm hoping Memory Express will agree to a late exchange - we'll see what they say. I was so looking forward to a three way display on my new system.

IF I knew then what I know now.....

AM I missing something here or is that the only options I have?