Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2012, 11:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I love those little work lights. Where'd you get them??
RONA - the one has flexible rubber tubing that lets you attach it to almost anything, the other is very bright and has a magnet in the base & swivels. I like 'em

$6 & $11 - cheap like borscht
Old October 25, 2012, 06:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Nobody should buy Thermaltake TR2 series power supply. Its like peeing onto a electrical fence.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Nobody should buy Thermaltake TR2 series power supply. Its like peeing onto a electrical fence.
I did take that Thermaltake TR2 back and have an Antec HCG 620 now installed and running well.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Having some trouble getting AMD's Catalyst to load. I get a message that kdbsync.exe is not working when I boot up and after installing the AMD chipset drivers I'm supposed to see Catalyst when I right click on the desktop but I see nothing. Downloading the latest Catalyst from AMD webside now - will let you know how that works.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Downloaded the lastest AMD Catalyst from AMD website and its working - got the dual graphics to work. Will need to wait until I get some of the new games to see how well it works.

How do I determine how fast my computer is working? I've never overclocked before but have played around in the BIOS settings to set it to "extreme" preset in the ASUS Bios.

I did see that my RAM was showing up as 1333 - manually set it to 1600. I did notice one screen in ASUS's AI system settings where it says "MaxBandwidth 667 MHZ" shouldn't that be 1600? It also shows the Frequency of each DIMM - and it ranges from 457 to 685 Mhz.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
Downloaded the lastest AMD Catalyst from AMD website and its working - got the dual graphics to work. Will need to wait until I get some of the new games to see how well it works.

How do I determine how fast my computer is working? I've never overclocked before but have played around in the BIOS settings to set it to "extreme" preset in the ASUS Bios.

I did see that my RAM was showing up as 1333 - manually set it to 1600. I did notice one screen in ASUS's AI system settings where it says "MaxBandwidth 667 MHZ" shouldn't that be 1600? It also shows the Frequency of each DIMM - and it ranges from 457 to 685 Mhz.
667 mhz = 1333 effective clock (DDR stands for double data rate Wiki if you are interested Double data rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

If the max is set to 667mhz it might have downclocked your RAM back down to 1333 you should check. I have never OC'd on an Asus board so I don't know what you are really looking at. I am sure others can help you much more than I can I am still new to messing with my BIOS settings.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I guess I have to go into the BIOS and manual set the specs that came with my RAM to make it realize it is 1600 not 1333. The IT guy at the office gave me a boot disc CD to use after I make the adjustments because if I mess up I could royally screw up my windows install and the mess is quite a bother to fix.

Will let you know.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I also wondered why it would say that although 32 GB of RAM was installed only 16 was available - someone finally pointed out that I was using Windows 7 Home which has a 16 GB Ram Max. So Time to upgrade to WIndows 8 which I am told will handle all 32 GB and more in the future if I ever upgrade to more RAM.

Who knew - well probably most people here but I sure didn't know. And the salesman at Memory Express never bothered to point this out to me when selling me that extra 16 GB of RAM. Oh Well. What's anther $70 :)
Old October 27, 2012, 12:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Running Windows 8 Pro now - picked up an upgrade at Staples - and my system is now running on all 32 GB of RAM. Still lots to load and sort out on this system. Want to look into RAMdisk - I know there are a few options out there, any recommendations. AMD wants $18 to download their system. I think there are some free ones out there.

RAM is still at 1333 and not 1600. Went into the Bios and thought I might try manually setting all the specs for the RAM - printed out the spec sheet from Kingston, but ASUS Bios would not let me pick anything other than AUTO which gives me 1333 Mhz RAM.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Oh Bother

I had copied all of the data I wanted to save off of my old 750 GB hard drive and decided I would format it because it still had my old Windows 7 files which I found I could not delete. I had this drive disconnected when I restarted this new A10 Rig and used my Window's 7 CD's to create a fresh start on my SSD. I had it up and running before I reconnected the 750 GB hard drive for the data.

I subsequently loaded Windows 8 onto the SSD and it was running fine.

So I figured it was safe to format the 750 Drive. WRONG

System would not reboot after that, eventually used my Win8 disk to "rescue" the system and in doing so it wiped all of my programs off of the drive. I've had to reload everything.

Oh Bother

And now when I look at the icons in Windows 8 they are slow to load. Something is amiss.

And I was doing so well.

SIGH