Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default The Time Has Come

This is the last thing I'm doing on my "old rig" and soon it will be dismantled and my new components assembled into my New A10 Rig.

Hopefully I'll post a success story from my new Rig - otherwise I'll be using my wife's laptop to ask for help.

Old October 20, 2012, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Should be done by now, no? I hope this doesn't mean trouble.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well some success. I can get to the bios screen.

BUT my new motherboard does not seem to have a place to connect an IDE ribbon cable - so neither of my optical drives will work - now I have to get another DVD. I like the Lightscribe feature and I'm thinking if I'm going to upgrade might as well go Blueray. So here is the one I buy: LG CH12 Super Multi Blue 12x Internal SATA Blu-ray Disc Reader / Combo Drive, Black w/ Lightscribe at Memory Express

But here's a couple of pictures of the project so far.

Looked for a new card reader that uses USB 3.0 any recommendations? I see there are several that only have a USB3 port on the front but still use USB2 for the card reader part.

My current USB 2.0 card worker should still be working.

Toying with the idea of getting Windows 8 - what's the skinny on upgrading, good plan or wait at least until version 3.0
Old October 22, 2012, 09:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ordered the LG Blueray Burner with Lightscribe & found an IDE to SATA converter StarTech Bi-Directional SATA IDE Adapter / Converter at Memory Express and ordered it too. I could have saved $50 and just bought the
converter and used my old burner but hey, new system, new burner & I can watch Blueray too. Spoiling myself.
Old October 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Enjoy blu ray... Keep us updated. Many new motherboards don't support IDE(something to keep an eye on if reusing parts... As you have now seen).
Old October 22, 2012, 10:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

cripes man... you realize that DVD/Blueray is SATA right and will plug in alongside your SSD?
unless you plan on keeping that old IDE drive, there's no need for a converter.
Old October 22, 2012, 05:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I know the new drive is SATA (not sure if it is 3 or 6 GB ) but bought the adaptor so that I can have two drives, have had two drives for sometime now, comes in handy - easy way to copy one disk to another. After I had ordered both items I did wonder whether it was worth the $20 to give the old IDE drive (as in two years old) another go. I could have saved $50 and not got the Blueray, or $20 and not kept the IDE drive - but in a moment of impulsive online shopping I bought both. I know with the IDE drives there was some setting with pins on the back of the one drive that had to set one as the primary and the other as secondary, not sure if I'll need that once both are now going to be connected to a SATA connection. I'll be using all seven sata ports on my new motherboard, three hard drives, one SSD drive and two optical drives, plus a front panel SATA port.

I am not sure I want to connect the 250GB drive besides being small the old PC it was taken from was infected with a nasty virus. Is there a fail safe way to read that drive without risk of infecting my new drive? Its been out of use for about three years, actually kinda curious about what is on that drive. Should I just format it - will that eliminate any virus that may be on the drive? I am assuming it was a virus - but maybe it was a corrupt bios as the system would not boot. I will not connect it until I get Norton installed.

I have one more system install left on my Norton license - or is there a way to have the program run from the old hard drive from my recent system - that 750GB hard drive is in the new box. All the hard drives are Seagates the new one is 2 T, the two year old one is 750 GB, and then there is that older 250 GB one that may be infected. Three terabytes in total, plus 128 GB SSD.
Old October 24, 2012, 04:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

My stuff arrived today :) Ordered it Monday - Arrived Wednesday - WOW - Cudos to Canada Post - and that is to a rural address BIG WOW.

BUT - I have a board meeting tonight so my installation will have to wait another day. :(
Old October 24, 2012, 05:03 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I love those little work lights. Where'd you get them??
Old October 24, 2012, 10:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It WORKS!

Now to reload and reconfigure

Dumb question but how do I delete the windows director on my old hard drive - it tells me I can't do that (I have administrator rights) but it wants "trustedinstaller" to delete them?