Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2012, 10:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default A10 & HD 6670 Dual Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
The problem is pricing on those cards now. The ddr5 versions are substantially faster, but you can now get he 7770 for a bit over the $100 mark and it will be faster than the a10and 6670.
So you disagree with the review by PCWorld that with the 6670 in dual graphics mode the output would rival the 7850?

Quoted from above....

From the PCWorld review it is supposed to come close to a HD 7800

"The integrated GPU will run in concert with a discrete AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card using AMD's CrossFire X performance, which should nearly double graphics performance. For roughly $80, the system would offer graphics performance approaching AMD's midrange Radeon HD 7850 discrete graphics card in many applications."

AMD announces Trinity APUs: superb graphics, improved CPU | PCWorld
Old October 18, 2012, 10:53 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Dual Crossfire requires that the memory speeds be sync'd.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Dual Crossfire requires that the memory speeds be sync'd.
What do you mean and how does one sync the memory?
Myself I have always wanted to try using an APU with a graphics card or two in xfire just curious about the performance also the power consumption . like for the common average person that games sometimes would it be cheaper to do this then to go out and pay allot more money on a graphics card that uses more power when not in games. or is that how it works.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
What do you mean and how does one sync the memory?
Myself I have always wanted to try using an APU with a graphics card or two in xfire just curious about the performance also the power consumption . like for the common average person that games sometimes would it be cheaper to do this then to go out and pay allot more money on a graphics card that uses more power when not in games. or is that how it works.
I think he means that there is no point in going GDDR5 because when you Xfire the APU's Vram is your RAM that you have purchased so your GFX card needs to be at the same speed as your ram.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:57 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The application (in this case CCC) matches the graphics card's memory speed with your memory rather than overclocking system memory to unachievable levels.
Old October 18, 2012, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
So you disagree with the review by PCWorld that with the 6670 in dual graphics mode the output would rival the 7850?

Quoted from above....

From the PCWorld review it is supposed to come close to a HD 7800

"The integrated GPU will run in concert with a discrete AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card using AMD's CrossFire X performance, which should nearly double graphics performance. For roughly $80, the system would offer graphics performance approaching AMD's midrange Radeon HD 7850 discrete graphics card in many applications."

AMD announces Trinity APUs: superb graphics, improved CPU | PCWorld
That site won't load on my phone right now, but I believe from what you posted its an article, not a review. Hexus has a review showing the best result being 40%improvment in dirt 3 and fps losses in batman vs just the 6670. So I would prefer a faster single graphics card, but if you have low gaming needs and get a good price on 6670, then why not.
Old October 18, 2012, 04:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

So, in the "why not" category I went ahead and ordered an ASUS 2 GB (DDR3) HD 6670 video card to round out my new rig. Figured that I might as well. Glad I found out that buying DDR5 would be a waste of money if I hook it up to my APU. Besides I never did find out if 2GB of DDR3 was a better bang for my buck than 1 GB of DDR5. And the 1GB DDR5 card was a few dollars more than the 2 GB DDR3 card. I was worried that the new lot of cards would all be DDR5 which is not that useful to me as a dual graphic card.

I know there are some games where there would be little benefit to this dual graphics set up but others where there is supposed to be significant benefit. I'm thinking that this 2GB of video ram on the HD6670 should be giving me some better FPS than just the A10 and in some cases the Dual Graphics will produce a significant boost to my graphic performance. I was also interested to read that MS Office 2010 takes advantage of some of the features of this card - and it may even speed up my web browsing (if I go to Firefox?).

I do want to add a third screen (Santa are you listening?) and try out AMD's three screen effect. I'll need a bigger desk but small sacrifices are necessary to get a nice system. I am going to order Dirt 3 which is one of the games AMD likes to profile because it does really benefit from the Dual Graphics (if one is to believe the reviews and articles). I'm also going to get a flight sim package - I think it's about time I learned how to fly - and then the three way front windows of "my plane" will look real cool - I don't know much about flight sim games but I'll be 'investing' some time to learn a bit more about them before I order one - any recommendations?.

I was able to get a price match from Mem-Express with Newegg.ca and saved a few like $6.00 but hey it paid the shipping. So for under $100 tax. S/H & a 2 year ME replacement warranty I've got a 2 GB HD6670 which I will be running as a dually with my A10. And after an email complaining that they were not prepared to mail the card to a post office box I got a prompt reply and a fix to that 'bug' they said and they do indeed ship to rural post office boxes.

I should wait for the PSU & Videocard to arrive before I get to rebuild this baby. I suppose I could get a head start and change out the fans and install the new hard drives into the current system this weekend. I'm a little shy about hooking up my new motherboard/CPU/ram to my old 'scary' Logisys PSU but we'll see what time allows.

Since this is my first build I think I'll look for a few "how to" video's and guides on line for first time builders. Any links I should follow?

Now onto eBay and order some games for this new rig. Dirt3, Shift2, Flight Sim, ? ? ? we will see what ends up in my basket. Any suggestions for this non-violent pacifist?

FKD
Old October 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't hook up the new gear to the old PSU... it isn't worth the risk if you decide to anyways do not put your computer under load.
Old October 19, 2012, 05:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

My Antec HCG-620 arrived in todays post :) Two days from order to delivery - to a rural post office - fabulous!
So now I can get to work this weekend with my rebuilding. Still waiting for the video card but that can be added after everything in going fine with the APU.

Looking for links to "how to rebuild a PC" tutorials, videos or whatevers.
Old October 20, 2012, 01:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

as for the video card memory : higher clocked memory was always better than slower but larger amounts. It is the same debate of 512MB DDR3 versus 1GB DDR2. Higher speed memory, GDDR5 in this case would help more at higher resolutions but given the fact that your memory needs to be DDR3 on the video card to match the speed of the system RAM for that CrossfireX to work it doesn't matter now anymore. About the faster browsing, a sidenote : my wife told me they received new PCs at work, (Bell Canada) that are based on the first generation Core i3 (HP 6200 SFF) and facebook game loading is way faster than the dual Opteron platform she has at home, also at worked they jumped from Core 2 Duo to Core i3. So total system horsepower is not the point here but the optimizations built into the CPU also play an important role and how the software is built, as we have really seen it in the A10 APU review.