Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I took the Thermaltake back and got a full refund. Thanks Mike. He didn't ask for an explanation other than I changed my mind and didn't want it anymore. I then went back on line and found that the Antec HCG-620M 620W was in stock at Memory Express (one in stock) and I was able to get the price match to NCIX so ended up paying $68.74 for it. I opted for the extra two years Memory Express warranty for using $10 of the $30 I had saved off of the full price. Plus $5 S/H still came in at $88 well under the $110 + tax I had paid for the Thermaltake.

Antec High Current Gamer 620W Modular Power Supply at Memory Express

Mind you it is 130 less watts but from the above reviews I guess the Thermaltake was not truly a 750w unit anyway. According to the ASUS PSU calculator ( ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator )I should be fine with a 500 watt system IF I were to add the recommended HD 6670 video card. I could even crossfire two of those and still sneak by with a minimum requirement of 600 watts.

And over at eXtreme Power Supply Calculator I get even less watts required with a recommended minimum of 343w. Just for fun I calculated two HD 6670 crossfired and it came in at 378 watt. eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts . So 620w will be plenty.

And its an Antec which is the one that the IT guy at the office said is "the best". He did say to look for multiple 12v rails - this unit only comes with one rail - and no I'm not taking this one back.

Here ends the Sad Saga of FKD's PSU. It's been ordered and now I just have to await delivery.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

And over at Hardware Secrets they conclude it is "outstanding".

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...Review/1495/11
Old October 16, 2012, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
And over at Hardware Secrets they conclude it is "outstanding".

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...Review/1495/11
The HCG is made by seasonic and it is a very good PSU (especially the modular one).
Old October 16, 2012, 08:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In 6 year's time when that PSU is still chugging along you'll be glad you took the time to get it right. :)

Purchasing a PSU without using an e-tailor can be a nightmare. I've seen some pretty questionable stuff being promoted as top of the line and it's really hard to come out ahead unless you've had a chance to do your research on the specific make/model ahead of time.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 17, 2012, 04:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Good decision. I am glad I posted that psu. I hope it treats you as we'll as it should. That is a strong enough powersupply to power your rig and any single graphics card up to a gtx 670 or 7870 IMO and would do 2 6670 that you have mentioned without being pushed in the slightest.
Old October 17, 2012, 05:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yuppers the HCG is a very solid unit. DOn't get me wrong, even Thermaltake is making some nice ones 'now' but that older style one was to be avoided.

Its better to learn now, then have components cook later.

Good Final Choice.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 17, 2012, 08:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I have not decided to buy a discrete graphics card - yet.

My game playing in not intense - if hardly at all. I have gotten into SIMS in the past and have almost all of the SIMS2 expansion packs and probably will get around to installing them on my new system. I have SimCity4 and when SimCity 5 is released I'll probably buy that one too. I also have a game called Spore with an expansion pack. I also play Tycoon style games like Railway Tycoon and Rollercoaster 3. I've played golf and car racing games.

I'm thinking of buying Dirt 3 or Dirt Showdown and/or Shift 2 Unleashed, or other game like that.

As I understand these sort of things a graphics card will not make much of a difference when it comes to browsing the web, productivity software (MS Office 10) or Photoshop Elements or Premier

I think that the A10 will provide adequate FPS for these games - or am I wrong about that. I do have a nVidia 9800GT which I could install and see if it works better than the integrated graphics in the A10 but I think the internal graphics in the A10 are superior to the 9800GT.

OR should I just spend $50-$85 and buy a HD 6670 card which will double up with "dual graphics" capacity of the A10 (from what I read it's sort of a built in crossfire). From some of the reviews it is supposed to come close to a HD 7800
"The integrated GPU will run in concert with a discrete AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card using AMD's CrossFire X performance, which should nearly double graphics performance. For roughly $80, the system would offer graphics performance approaching AMD's midrange Radeon HD 7850 discrete graphics card in many applications." AMD announces Trinity APUs: superb graphics, improved CPU | PCWorld

IF I wait and decide to do this later is there a risk that the 6670 cards will no longer be available? What is the shelf life of these sort of cards? Can I expect that prices will go down further on these units?

I do see that there are a few variations - ASUS offers a 2 GB card ($85 at Memory Express) and then there are a few that use DDR5 instead of DDR3, ASUS with 1GB of DDR5 is $99 ($89 if you get the rebate). Any comments on these cards - or brands. What should I look for if I decide to get one of these units?

OR should just wait and buy a more expensive card in the future if I end up needing more graphic power.

Opinions wanted.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm also eyeing the Flight Simulator type games and see that you can add expansion packages to them too for different planes and different locations. That sort of thing interests me. I'm just not into the killing thing which seems to eliminate most of the more popular video games.
Old October 18, 2012, 03:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The problem is pricing on those cards now. The ddr5 versions are substantially faster, but you can now get he 7770 for a bit over the $100 mark and it will be faster than the a10and 6670.
Old October 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

One of the reviews of the 6670 in dual graphics mode with the A8 (I have the A10) had noted that the system in dual graphics could not recognize the DDR5 and reverted to DDR3 even though his card was DDR5. See AMD A8-3850 APU in CrossFire with AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 Review - YouTube I wonder if this is because the APU is using the DDR3 RAM memory? Someone who knows these things better please jump in here and give me an opinion on this.

IF there is a way to utilize DDR5 would 2GB of DDR3 still be better than 1GB of DDR5.

I was going to order it from Memory Express but they did not have any option open to me to have it mailed to my post office box (I live in rural Canada). They only would allow in store pick up. Which is real strange because I was able to order a power supply from them earlier this week which they are shipping to my post office box. I sent Mem-Express an email asking what's up with this change in policy. They only had two ASUS 2GB DDR3 HD6670 in stock. But since it did not say "while supplies last" I think that means they will be getting more in later. Newegg.ca has the same card for $5.00 less but charges $5.00 more in shipping so I have options.

I'm tempted to just get the 6670 because I'm opening the system up and rebuilding it completely, might as well put in the best of the recommended graphics cards. Still pondering that.

Also I'm leaning towards the ASUS just because, I read some not so hot reviews of a Diamond HD6670 over at Newegg and since I have an ASUS mBoard I'm thinking another ASUS would be good but I'm open to ideas. Which are the good video card makers and which are the one's to be avoided?