Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   And for my next trick: Passive Asymetrical Xfire APU Gamer? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/57237-my-next-trick-passive-asymetrical-xfire-apu-gamer.html)

CMetaphor October 12, 2012 09:49 PM

And for my next trick: Passive Asymetrical Xfire APU Gamer?

Yeah, Im weird. I just finished rebuilding my Lanbox and now I still have the itch...

Going for
A10-5800k w/ Scythe Orochi passive heatsink
6670 Passive (Probably a sapphire ultimate if i can find one)
Decent FM2 board, itx or mATX
Lots'o'grills Case
SSDs
Passive PSU (Probably an SS Nightjar)

Worse-case scenario: a fan or two just for air movement. Gentle typhoon AP-11s, Nexus real silents and others I already have. Maybe a 220mm on a side panel or something. But the point is a 0db system.

This probably won't be happening anytime soon. But its a fun thought...

Speaking of, what are Your thoughts? Is it even viable (cause I think it is)

SKYMTL October 12, 2012 09:56 PM

A 100W TDP APU with a single fan in probably a large case? IMO, you may have some issues unless you undervolt. While the coolers may be passive, they still need some air movement to get the job done.

CMetaphor October 12, 2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 661821)
A 100W TDP APU with a single fan in probably a large case? IMO, you may have some issues unless you undervolt. While the coolers may be passive, they still need some air movement to get the job done.

This is an Orochi Sky! Biggest damn passive HSF ive ever seen, and it sitting around not being used!

I realize I'll probably need fan, but the fewer the better.

Also: Nightjar is out. Its at least 50$ more expensive than others. Anyone have experience with the following?:
- Kingwin STR-500
- FSP group Aurum Xilenser
- Seasonic SS-460FL/SS-400FL

Edit: And for some strange reason, im being drawn the Lian-Li open-board ITX case: PC-Q06. All internalized components save the board, GPU and HSF. Problem... seems EOL? Dangit... Anybody have one to sell?

dandelioneater October 14, 2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 661822)
Also: Nightjar is out. Its at least 50$ more expensive than others. Anyone have experience with the following?:
- Kingwin STR-500
- FSP group Aurum Xilenser
- Seasonic SS-460FL/SS-400FL

I haven't used any of those psus, but according to the review at silentpc the seasonic is top notch. A bit pricey though since it is fanless. Looks like a cool build, don't think I've really seen anyone do the APU/xfire thing yet. :thumb:

CMetaphor October 14, 2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandelioneater (Post 662291)
I haven't used any of those psus, but according to the review at silentpc the seasonic is top notch. A bit pricey though since it is fanless. Looks like a cool build, don't think I've really seen anyone do the APU/xfire thing yet. :thumb:

I already tried it once with the A8-3870 and a 6670 - didnt work out that well since the Xfire didnt seem to be scaling properly (neither card would load past 60-70%). I was kinda hoping that Trinity would be better.

TBH this project is on hold till i see some solid performance reviews and more mature drivers for asymetrical xfire. The OP was MetaDrunk. haha. I should learn my lesson and stop posting after drinking.

dandelioneater October 14, 2012 01:12 PM

Yes, tt would be unfortunate to put a system like that together and not have xfire work properly due to drivers or whatever other limitations. Hopefully Trinity works well.

Bond007 October 14, 2012 01:19 PM

For a passive build I would go for a 65w variant... That said interesting idea.