Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Bang for the buck #2 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/57175-bang-buck-2-a.html)

Alwaysrun October 10, 2012 09:33 AM

Bang for the buck #2

Well folks it's been 4 years almost to the day and it's well overdue to upgrade this lil puppy. This build will be for gaming and nothing else, and will only be using a single GPU. I will be overclocking the cpu most definately.

Here's what I have left to use.

Corsair HX 750 Watt PSU
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Asus Geforce GTX 670 Direct CU II
LG 24" Flattron LCD display W2442PA
Corsair Hydro 100 CPU water cooling.
Coolermaster CM690 mid sized case.

So basically I need input on the Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and storage drive.
Thoughts I've had so far are pointing me to Z77 board preferably by Gigabyte or Asus, CPU I've been leaning towards a Intel 3770k and for Ram I really don't have a clue what-so-ever, ditto for the ide drive. I was thinking of spending around $650-800. Ohh and one final thought about the mobo, I'd really like one that makes overclocking user friendly so whichever bios makes this as effortless as possible wins. Tia folks :biggrin:

Pabz0r545 October 10, 2012 09:53 AM

If the rig is only for gaming may as well get the 3570k as it will perform exactly the same as the 3770k. Could use that 100 bucks elsewhere.

dandelioneater October 10, 2012 10:11 AM

Look for any 2x4 GB kit of ram. DDR3 1600 with 9-9-9-24 timings can be found at a good price these days.

I like GSkill, Corsair, Kingston, or even Samsung.

SugarJ October 10, 2012 10:12 AM

Note the folding tag. He'll want the 3770k if he's folding on it.

I'm partial to Asus boards right now. Sabertooth or Maximus would be my choices, but those are on the expensive side.

Soultribunal October 10, 2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 661075)

I'm partial to Asus boards right now. Sabertooth or Maximus would be my choices, but those are on the expensive side.

Well worth the money though for the better caps and power delivery on the boards.

-ST

Pabz0r545 October 10, 2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 661075)

I see the folding tag but he specifically says "This build will be for gaming and nothing else."

Alwaysrun October 10, 2012 10:53 AM

Ok done and done. I've been reading a plethora of reviews on the sabertooth for the last month and had that in mind even though it's a bit more cost but for it's solid build quality and overclocking ease not to mention it's an ASUS I'm sold. so pricematched thats $219 and the Intel 3770k is on sale right now for $319. Looking good so far I'll probably drop my order tonight after taking a gander at NCIXs weekly sale tonight. Another question though is about the Ram. I want to run my windows 7 64 bit without a pagefile/virtual memory so wouldn't 16 GB be better? I mean really if RAM is so cheap now why not just grab 16 instead of 8. I'm a real newb about ram clocks and overclocking ram in general, if someone could just point me to a specific type/speed ect ect that would rock. tia again guys

SugarJ October 10, 2012 11:18 AM

Watch the sale tonight. Stay away from Corsair Vengeance with Asus boards, there have been compatibility issues with some kits.

I'm partial to G-skill myself, and would probably grab this kit: G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

Alwaysrun October 10, 2012 11:33 AM

D'oh I was just looking at the Vengeance and though they complimented the sabertooths look nicely. I really don't care about looks I want reliability and price over every other consideration...still those Gskill Ripjaws look like rotten monkey guts. lol!

Soultribunal October 10, 2012 11:49 AM

Grab some Mushkin Blacklines then Always. I've had no issues with them and ASUS Boards.

-ST