Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

For the CPU,don't buy anything expensive, it won't change anything,just take a 2500k,will perform almost as good as a 3770,stop spending money in CPU's that will never be bottlenecked for gaming,at least,just get a 4 core with 3.2 ghz or more,that's just fine. Differences between the last gen I5 are minor,like 2-3 more FPS in games..I saw benchmarks..

and you said it would be only for gaming so...
Old October 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use blacklines with my sabertooth. No issues rock solid.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

3570k if gaming only, 3770k if you want it for more threaded tasks (folding would be one). If its in your budget then grab 16gb ram, but 8gb is likely more than enough (as you said, ram is cheap right now anyway). The motherboard is really your call on how much you want to spend. I am sure there are cheaper boards that will OC just as well, but its a personal call if the added expense is worth it.

You will have a very nice build after this cpu/mob/ram upgrade. Enjoy and let us know what you get.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Grab some Mushkin Blacklines then Always. I've had no issues with them and ASUS Boards.

-ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
I use blacklines with my sabertooth. No issues rock solid.
Yes I vote Blacklines too. Especially the ridgeline style ones they would look super sexy with a sabertooth.

Old October 10, 2012, 01:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
For the CPU,don't buy anything expensive, it won't change anything,just take a 2500k,will perform almost as good as a 3770,stop spending money in CPU's that will never be bottlenecked for gaming,at least,just get a 4 core with 3.2 ghz or more,that's just fine. Differences between the last gen I5 are minor,like 2-3 more FPS in games..I saw benchmarks..

and you said it would be only for gaming so...
Why Buy something that is EOL when you can get IB which is current? Makes no sense.
Understandable that right now a lot of games might not grab CPU cycles for as much as we have at our disposal. But if you run enough background stuff, it adds up, and that is where these higher end CPU's shine.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 10, 2012, 04:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I downloaded the Sabertooth-Z77-Memory-QVL.pdf from Asus and for DDR3 1600 Qualified Vendors List the only Mushkins listed are 996805(XMP) 4GB (2 x 2GB) with timings of 6-8-6-24 @ 1.65v. I guess these blacklines recommendations come from personal experience which I'll get behind.

I'm guessing perhaps you guys are referring to
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 16GB 4X4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 Quad Channel Memory Kit ? o
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 16GB 2X8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit Either is ok for me I guess. I see the 8GB sticks are a tad bit more expensive but thats not a deal breaker. It would leave 2 slots open for a future upgrade.

And I'm in total agreement that these would look rather nice with the sabertooth armor as backdrop. Damn you guys aint kidding RAM these days is cheap. I paid double the price for only 4GB of DDR2 4 years back. Well not quite double 4GB I think cost $129 back then.
Old October 10, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

These ones with the specs of your choice:

Old October 11, 2012, 10:43 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I spent MANY hours recently finding parts for my new rig, though I'll be editing video as well as gaming.
I found that the price difference on a lot of things is not big enough for the saved money to "pay off", especially with ram, they are so damn cheap these days so no point in saving on ram, especially if you are going to run with no pagefile. Get the 16 gig, you'll sleep better.
I spent around 40 hours researching for my new rig and choose the MSI Big Bang MPower, i7 3770K and Crusial Ballistix Elite.
You can read my thread here
Every Big Bang MPwer mobo is OC certified as they are factory OC hand tested under extreme conditions, and the 3770K is newest tech and leaves you more room to play with.
Old October 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys for the advice I got all the parts together yesterday but had a bit of a problem with some bad paint. I tried to paint my mobo tray black and it just wouldn't stick so I took out the old pressure washer and blasted the damn thing for an hour, it didn't take off all the paint but in the end I said wtf and just dried the case in front of the fireplace and installed the parts. The Corsair H100 was a pita to install and finially I just jury-rigged it outside my CM690 which actually worked out well enough. Name:  installed-sm.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  329.3 KB

Name:  i7-3770k-stock.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  104.8 KB

Temps seem really nice so far at stock and hardly broke 35C after 1 hour of intensive Mech Warrior Online goodness on the Cryengine 3 totally maxxed out. Frame rates were spectacular and didn't drop below 67 even in the most hecktic close quarter skirmishes. I gotta say I'm really loving this new GTX 670 it eats everything I throw at it at Ultra settings and has room for desert. Thanks gents for your assist!
Old October 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

About the paint, did you roughen up the motherboard tray with some sand paper before painting? If you wanted to try again i'm sure the abrasive and some decent metal paint would work this time.

Last edited by dandelioneater; October 16, 2012 at 02:59 PM.