Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2012, 05:26 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I don't know where people are seeing this across the board increase in Trinity. The improvements in Trinity are nullified by its poor performance in applications complied in slightly older extensions.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Red face My Scary LogiSys Power Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
what power supply do you have?
I have a Logisys 575w PS575XB
Newegg.ca - LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK 575W ATX12V SLI Ready Power Supply

I was surprised to read that I should get rid of it. Apparently it is 'scary'.

It's worked fine for the past two years and 575w should be ample for my needs (I'm just guessing as I have not idea how many watts I really need). I'm not sure I want to spend an extra $50-$75 for something I already have. If it has not acted up in two years of use in my current rig is putting it into my new set up likely to cause it to start acting up? Will the demands of the new APU be that much greater than my current CPU with discrete graphics card? Is an SSD demanding better power? The ASUS motherboard offers digital control of my power and employs "precise digital voltage regulation for the APU, called DIGI+ VRM".

Having said that I looked up my model on Newegg.ca and see there were over 700 users - about 20% had a problem with it - looks like I'm in the 80% who said its cheap and it works. It is only valued at $26 so it's not like its an expensive item at all.

I've been told the best is Antec and for $75 I can get a 550w unit with three 12v rails which I'm told is a good thing. I should also expect the fan to be quieter - I need to see some tangible benefit to my $75.

How many watts would I need for my system anyway? I'm told the number of 12v rails is another thing to consider, but how many would the system described below need anyway?

I am looking at
CPU - the AMD A10 with a Cool Master RR-B10 CPU fan using Artic Silver
Newegg.ca - AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX

on an ASUS F2A85-V Pro board, it is full ATX form,
Newegg.ca - ASUS F2A85-M PRO FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

with 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 RAM,
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R

and a 120 GB SSD (brand yet to be determined).

For a total outlay of about $450.00 + GST

From what I could read putting my OS onto the SSD will give me a great performance increase so I left the RAM at 16 instead of 32 and saved about $60 to use towards the SSD which I can get for just under $100. Any recommendations for an SSD - or ones I should avoid because they are scary. Is 120 GB large enough for a WIndows 7 OS?

I hope I don't come to regret not getting 32 GB of ram when it is cheap. RAM options are a bit bewildering - I've picked Corsair Vengeance because I've seen a video with that brand and model used on one of the test rigs in a review of the A10 Trinity chip on the ASUS board so I should expect it to be compatible. The QVL is useless for 8 gig sticks. And the RAM manufacturers sites do not list the new FM2 mboards so I have little to go on. Do those fins create a problem when adding that aftermarket CPU fan ( Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ )

G-Skills has their Ares Series that does not have fins. And it is a little less expensive. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231558 Or for a few dollars more I can get their "Sniper" series in the 1866 class, with smaller fins.

Any advice on RAM? Any brand to avoid? I was thinking of the RipJaws one as they had a special on 32 GB for $135. The Corsair Vengeance is more expensive at about $80 for the 2 8 GB sticks but I've seen that video showing it works on this type of system.

It is a bewildering array of choices.

Anyone here already using an A10 or A8 on an ASUS A85 board?

I will still use my 750 GB SATA drive, two optical drives, a card reader and the case from my current rig. I do run two monitors at max resolution.

Apparently there is no performance value to putting the nVidia 9800GT into the new system as the iGPU on the APU is better than the 9800 and I can't link up an nVidia product to the AMD chip. But maybe I'll just put it in and test it to see if it is better with or without it. Otherwise it is another piece of e-junk.

Any last bits of advice before I pull the trigger on this system?

I'll be calling Memory Express tomorrow to place the order and pick it up in Edmonton on Sunday. Hopefully they will have what I want in stock and will match the best prices I have found on line.

BTW - welcome to winter - woke up to a winter wonderland of fresh snow this morning.