Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Modest childrens build for light gaming. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/57074-modest-childrens-build-light-gaming.html)

Pabz0r545 October 4, 2012 06:02 AM

Modest childrens build for light gaming.

So my brother asked me to build a computer for my niece and nephew. They are 4 and 6 soon to be 5 and 7 and like to surf the web and play video games like darksiders II and the sims on PC.

Should I go with an AMD APU like the A-10 when it releases or should I go something like an i3 and a h77? My brother would like this machine to be able to play games (nothing new with cutting edge graphics) for around 2 years. Graphics don't have to be maxed either but obviously the better graphics is better. Also would like as small of form factor as possible.

Thanks in advance!

great_big_abyss October 4, 2012 06:28 AM

I think you'll be more than happy with an A10, or even an A8.

If you wait a couple of weeks, there should be some very nice mITX boards coming out from all the major players. If you don't want to wait, Newegg already has mATX FM2 boards and processors in stock.

stoanee October 4, 2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 (Post 659532)
So my brother asked me to build a computer for my niece and nephew. They are 4 and 6 soon to be 5 and 7 and like to surf the web and play video games like darksiders II and the sims on PC.

Should I go with an AMD APU like the A-10 when it releases or should I go something like an i3 and a h77? My brother would like this machine to be able to play games (nothing new with cutting edge graphics) for around 2 years. Graphics don't have to be maxed either but obviously the better graphics is better. Also would like as small of form factor as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like the processor is available locally for you. Not a lot of FM2 motherboards out there with the Hudson D4 chipset yet, but the platform looks interesting and would be on my shortlist. Too bad they had to change the socket to FM2, they will lose customers because of that.

Pabz0r545 October 4, 2012 07:10 AM

Looks like I will have to wait for the itx boards if I go the fm2 route. It's lookin like that would definitely be the cheaper solution.

Any recommended ITX cases that come with a decent power supply to power an a10-5800k, mobo and SSD? That is all that will be in there.

Pabz0r545 October 4, 2012 07:31 AM

What do I even need for PSU. I am guessing this would be fine for case/psu?

SilverStone Sugo Series SG06B

So far here is what I have:

CPU: AMD A-10 5800k
MOBO: Waiting for ITX selection
MEMORY: Patriot Viper 3 Series, Black Mamba Edition DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-15000 Dual Channel Kit
Case/PSU: SilverStone Sugo Series SG06B \
SSD: Crucial M4 128

I know the unlocked chip is probably overkill and it won't be overclocked I think it is a good idea so I can have my fun with it when they grow out of this computer. :P

great_big_abyss October 4, 2012 07:39 AM

I think that 300W Powersupply would be more than enough, TBH, especially if you never plan on adding a discrete GPU. Even there, some of the low end GPUs that can Xfire with Trinity have a thermal ceiling of 75W anyways, so you should still be 'safe'.

Make sure you get a downdraft cooler that fits in that Sugo case. The stock AMD HSF are LOUD!!!!

Pabz0r545 October 4, 2012 09:49 AM

Care to post a link to a "downdraft" style cooler GBA?

great_big_abyss October 4, 2012 10:02 AM

Scythe Shuriken Downdraft Cooler

Even More Choices

Pabz0r545 October 4, 2012 10:18 AM

Thanks a bunch :D

igot6strings October 4, 2012 10:39 AM

Pop a 7750 in there and it'll be a sweet gaming rig. It'll even handle some of the newer games on med-high settings. OCs quite well too.