Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   need a low power pc that can play games (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/57009-need-low-power-pc-can-play-games.html)

Jaydu September 30, 2012 04:04 PM

need a low power pc that can play games

hey guys moving to my very own house. Great news but one thing I have to pay my light bill so down grading computer and looking for a low power use that can still rock games on my 23 1080p asus 120 lcd. Any ideas are welcome.

What I own are 2 ssd that I will be keeping 128 sata 3 x900 adatas. need everything else.

3.0charlie September 30, 2012 04:11 PM

I'm surprised by how the 1055T / 1090T hold their own, and paired with a SSD and a 660Ti you'll be rocking games for some time. Slap some dual DDR3-1333 sticks (4Gb, 8Gb don't matter) and a 500w'ish PSU, in you'll be in business.

frontier204 September 30, 2012 04:29 PM

Lots of info missing there: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ease-tell.html

If you're not keeping the computer on 24/7 you'd be better off going for the best price/performance in your budget since the power bill savings won't be that significant. These day's that's probably your choice of Core i5 + $230+ video card.
Say you game 60 hours a month, and your computer draws 360W out of the wall (and with modern GPUs that's either dual cards or one very overclocked single card). That's 21.6 kWh.

Remember also that stress test power consumtion is not the same as gaming power consumption. Have one less Tim Hortons coffee in that month and you save the price without cripping your rig :haha:

sswilson September 30, 2012 04:34 PM

Something to keep in mind if power usage is your main concern (when I saw the topic I assumed you were going off of the grid and had to rely on solar/wind power.... ;) ) is that you'd probably want to avoid overclocking at all. Procs are tuned by the manufacturers to be efficient, overclocking results in a non-linear (more than likely exponential) raise in power use.

CMetaphor September 30, 2012 04:51 PM

I'd seriously consider the new FX-4170 processor. 4.2Ghz @ stock with Cool'n'quiet could have you in business.

MARSTG September 30, 2012 05:23 PM

if gaming is the only concern, a core i5 from the IB generation would do just fine, lower power envelope than SB and I didn't hear about any need for overclocking or number crunching, like folding, so you should be fine with one of those. An 80 plus bronze PSU with Single Rail design should compliment your build, like Corsair TX 650V2

terrybear October 1, 2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 658864)
if gaming is the only concern, a core i5 from the IB generation would do just fine, lower power envelope than SB and I didn't hear about any need for overclocking or number crunching, like folding, so you should be fine with one of those. An 80 plus bronze PSU with Single Rail design should compliment your build, like Corsair TX 650V2

not if he's gonna be using the onboard gpu he wont be able to game on a i5 sorry to say ...:rofl:

terrybear October 1, 2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydu (Post 658837)
hey guys moving to my very own house. Great news but one thing I have to pay my light bill so down grading computer and looking for a low power use that can still rock games on my 23 1080p asus 120 lcd. Any ideas are welcome.

What I own are 2 ssd that I will be keeping 128 sata 3 x900 adatas. need everything else.

What your asking is a lil vague for us to try to awnser .....

Are you talking about ALL modern games out there?
intergraded gpu/apu?
overall low power usage?

I agree with others are saying .... if you oc'ed anything before, reducing those clocks will bring down energy usage some.

If 1 of the games your talkin about is WOW, the recently partialy reviewed AMD "trinity" A10 5800K renders the game in DX11 mode @ 1080 on "good" settings up into the 8x fps range ...

Ultimately what you need to tell us is what kind of system are you realy tryin to tweak down to, something powerfull enough with a possible onboard video ... or seperate video solution?

yamawho October 1, 2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 658853)
Something to keep in mind if power usage is your main concern (when I saw the topic I assumed you were going off of the grid and had to rely on solar/wind power.... ;) ) is that you'd probably want to avoid overclocking at all. Procs are tuned by the manufacturers to be efficient, overclocking results in a non-linear (more than likely exponential) raise in power use.

Cottage is off the grid and the only system that made sense for me was a A8 4500 lap top. The power brick is 65 watts.

Mini-itx Am3 system with 905e with onboard video was pulling up to 111 watts plus monitor 23" LED 32 watts.

Dragonstongue October 1, 2012 11:18 AM

I would go for a power efficent(low power model) i5 sandy

OR

One of the new A10 offerings from AMD. 5800k looks awesome.

I guess its just that, if you pair the cpu up with a good gpu that you can possibly down clock a bit, with the right motherboard etc you can also devolt the cpu a bit, and save even more power. A Silver or Gold rated power supply at say 600-750w is more then enough.

I know a 7870 or GTX660 are actually quite power freindly, and are actually quite good in regards to performance/power usage as well as performance/$.

I know the notebook I was using ASUS k53tk-ss61-cbil could game decently enough, though got quite warm and performance was lacking somewhat. The A10 based newer models are supposed to be a heck of alot faster though and cooler. I would still like a way of disbaling the igp and using the discrete card period, but they dont seem to want you to do that. IGP while good also gets quite warm, doesn`t have the performance it needs(currently) and doesn`t always switch over the way it should.

Anyways. MATX motherboard with a good cpu i.e i5 or Phenom II x6 or A8-A10(which may not need a gpu depending on the games you play) 8gb total DDR3 1600-1866(low voltage i.e Gskill 1.35v ECO ram, 8gb to me is great 4 just doesnt seem enough, and does make a performance impact, just set your paging files correctly.) and a decent gpu such as Radeon 7850/7870 or GT650 GTX660 (the 7870 or 660 are better picks all around, more power yes, but also more performance for the power being used) they also stay quite cool, with good models, mine overclocked MSI 7870 Twin Frozr III gets to 62c clocked and volted 1192 core, 1425 mem, 1285 volts, power limit at 14 gaming and benching. The sapphire 7870 with dual fan is even better.